• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Breathing Tips For Step test

• Thread starter Thread starter Teamfm
  • Start date Start date
Cheating = putting a litre of your blood in the fridge for a few weeks while you train and injecting it back in the morning of your PT test.
So... if I can‘t use it for that reason... what can I use it for?

sigh... back to the medical waste with you!

I‘m confused, I have been training as though I would be tested to see if I could do a 2.4km run in under 11:56. Do they just check to see your running fitness on a step up? Do you actually do no running at all?

That‘s right Dave, read the whole thread and others on this forum about the Step Test to learn what it‘s all about.

What do you mean, GirlFiredUp... people have posted about the step test on this board before?

No way... lol

sorry... just went for my evening run... those endorphins are kicking in right about now...

woo-hoo!

:D

Originally posted by Andy_d:
[qb]
If you‘re young and not over-weight you can reach 19 pushup reps in weeks, and situps should generally be easy. You aren‘t tested in chinups or pullups and as long as you‘ve worked with your hands at least sometime in your life you should be able to grip 75 kg of weight. [/qb]
I‘m young and overweight and i have no problem whatsoever with pushups, about a month ago i was doing 15 w/ hands way out to side, now im doing 25-30 to standard...it just takes practise, practise and more practise.

For all you nervous nellies out there:

The best and most efficient way to increase your aerobic capacity is to run slightly faster (10 to 30 seconds per mile) than your 5-K race pace. Faster runners should be closer to the 10-second figure, and slower runners closer to the 30-second figure. For example, if you can race a 5-K at 7:40 per mile, you should run your max VO2 workouts at 7:20 to 7:30 pace. This isn‘t a pace that you can maintain very long in training. You can run for distance (800 meters) or time (3 to 5 minutes).

After each repeat, jog for four to five minutes, and then do another. The workout is finished when you‘ve completed three to four repeats (for beginning and intermediate runners) or six to eight repeats (for advanced runners).
Increasing your max VO2

I really try hard not to be negative here, but I simply must echo Infanteer‘s original response: for anyone even considering joining the combat arms, the express test is a joke.

19 push ups? congrats. I have a Bud (with a big mouth) who averaged 1500 push ups a day on his CLC. The rest of us weren‘t too far behind (we didn‘t quite have his mouth :)

You can run a whole 2.4 Kms? Wonderful. That may be morning PT for the clerks, but plan on a lot farther in a Regiment- and you‘l learn the phrase "rear rank to the front- move!".

And while I think of it, you won‘t do this after a full nights sleep, in the sun, with gator-aide, spandex, and 200$ running shoes....with the option of stopping if you‘re feeling a little peaked.

Guys, this is a hard life. The Forces will train you. You can help yourself by getting in shape before you arrive- or spend the entire training cycle on remedial PT.

And on that note, please do not confuse basic training standards with regimental standards. A whole new ball game.

The reason why it‘s a hard life? You will find yourself from time to time facing other folk who truly don‘t like you- and I guarantee that THEY are hard. I‘ve done a lot of training in my years, but I‘ve never trained to loose.

Cheers-Garry

Originally posted by dave_conolly:
[qb] I‘m confused, I have been training as though I would be tested to see if I could do a 2.4km run in under 11:56. Do they just check to see your running fitness on a step up? Do you actually do no running at all? [/qb]
u don‘t need to run for the pt test, they test ur step test, and measure ur heart beat.

Originally posted by Garry:
[qb] I really try hard not to be negative here, but I simply must echo Infanteer‘s original response: for anyone even considering joining the combat arms, the express test is a joke.
[/qb]
This might sound really stupid but in your guys opinion should they have different (from all other trades) basic fitness requirements to join combat arms?

Garry thank you that is probably the most honest response i have seen in here .

This might sound really stupid but in your guys opinion should they have different (from all other trades) basic fitness requirements to join combat arms?
No, every soldier should be a rifleman first. Winning the ground war is the primary mission of any army, and if your not working towards that, than your wasting space.

Garry, your response has got to be the most honest one on here. I was one of the people going through my application process thinking the bare minimums but that alas, will get you no where. Thanks, everyone here needs to know how hard of a line of work they‘re really signing up for.

Dude just run 5k every **** day...thats the only way ure gonna do it there‘s now way around it, I started to do it twice in one day early morning than 11 at night. Basicly this lead to the ripping of one of my leg muscles and a week in the hospital but hey i cant say it wasnt worth it good luck man.

Hmmm,

Maybe advising someone to exercise to a degree that landed you yourself in the hospital for a week isn‘t really good advice at all.

Quote: "Dude just run 5k every **** day...thats the only way ure gonna do it there‘s now way around it,"

That‘s not the only way to acheive the minimum cardiovascular standard for the step test.
It‘s not even a particularly good way to achieve a good time for your 5k runs.

If you want to do cardio every day, you really need to mix up your exercises. Doing high impact cardio exercises every day is going to lead to injury, as you obviously discovered.

IMO doing a low impact cardio exercise inbetween your running days is the way to go. Go for a swim, get on a rowing machine, or an eliptical step machine, or anything else that doesn‘t put a lot of pressure on your ankles, knees, tendons, and leg muscles.
Plus in running, or biking every day you don‘t give your muscles a chance to fully heal, and your progress will probably be significantly hindered because of it.

Back