• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

breathing while running

corypaven

Inactive
Reaction score
I, thought this was a little bit interesting I havent tried it yet, but if your not the best runner it couldnt hurt to try it, let me know how it works.

What is proper breathing while running? 
Many experts will say that to fully oxygenate the muscles and clear the body of carbon dioxide you should breathe a 3:2 inhale-to-exhale ratio; full inhales and full exhales. This means you INHALE on the LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT foot strikes and EXHALE fully on the RIGHT, LEFT foot strikes. This pattern is not that hard to turn into a habit, but it may require you to slow your pace down for a few runs to master the technique. You will notice a lower heart rate as you are able to get more oxygen in and more importantly push all the carbon dioxide out of your body. You may notice that you naturally drop to a 2:1 ratio when you are really pushing it to the finish. That is OK.  But realize it is difficult to maintain a pace that requires you to breathe at a 2:1 ratio. The CO2 in your body will increase if your breathing patterns are short and hurried. This will increase your heart rate and lactic acid production, and decrease your endurance in any cardiovascular event (running, swimming, biking, etc.)

http://www.military.com/opinion/0,15202,121634,00.html    -this is the full article

Hmmm...normally a 2:2 guy that turns into 2:1 doing the anerobic bits.  Maybe I'll give 3:2 a try.  Interesting article, thanks.

G2G

I have alot of exp when it comes to running. 3 time Pet Ironman winner along with a few other ultra distance events over a 16 year period and can help you out. I read alot about what othe people say to do but when it comes to breathing the key issue is to relax!! Learn how to stomach breath. This is where you inhale enought to push your diaphram down which expands your stomach. If you can relax your diaphram and get enough O2 to your muscles your running will be much easier. It takes time to practice and it is not an easy 1-2 quick fix.
Remember the key is to relax! Push the diaphram down when you inhale!

A

Thanks your experiance is appreciated, I find it hard to stomach breath, is that because my diaphram isnt used to it yet? Or am I just doing it wrong, it feels like there isnt enough room in my lower lungs to fit in all the air i need.

Although you did say its not a quick fix, so i will take some time to practice first.

Cory, it's sort of hard to describe, but you can think of it as either relaxing you abdomen and letting your stomach "drop" down towards your pelvis, or if you can picture "pulling down" with your stomach.  Either way you think about it, like IRONMAN3 says, it is more of a "relax and let it happen" thing...tenseness during breathing is a sure way to get a cramp/stitch while running.

G2G

I usually do breathe using my "cadence" so to speak.  Not sure if it's a 3:2 or not (note to self....check next time).  I can only do it while running at my own pace.  If it's during PT and they all take off like gazelles, I'm trying too hard to keep up and not really concentrating on my breathing.  :-[

found this in a book i have here "The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Men. "

"If you're like most people, when you run, you exhale as your right foot hits the ground. This puts downward pressure on your liver (which lives on your right side), which then tugs at the diaphragm and creates a side stitch.

The fix: Exhale as your left foot strikes the ground.  ;)

Lukz said:
found this in a book i have here "The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Men. "

"If you're like most people, when you run, you exhale as your right foot hits the ground. This puts downward pressure on your liver (which lives on your right side), which then tugs at the diaphragm and creates a side stitch.

The fix: Exhale as your left foot strikes the ground.  ;)

Never thought about that, but does since an exhale usually takes two paces, should this mean "finish the exhalation phase on the left foot"?  As well, any time you have an odd intake/exhale tempo (like 3:2 or 2:1) the foot that you finish breathing on will alternate.  I find relaxing my abdomen works best for me, not so much what foot I land on breathing out.  Interesting to try though...

G2G

It's all in the diaphram.  Same as when you take your PLQ and have to give drill commands for the 1st time.  People yell from their throats and promptly lose their voice.  You've got to bring it up from down below......

Same for running - it,s gotta come from there or you ain`t gonna get enough O2 to your lungs & to your blood.

I found it hard to sort out my breathing when I first started running but then started wearing a water carrier belt and things seemed to sort themselves out.  My coach explained that it was probably due to the pressure of the belt on my diaphram and my onconciously using my breathing to keep the belt from slipping.

Personnaly, I don't rally have a cadence for breathing when I run.  I just try to keep my breathing relaxed.  Now, when I'm running at a quicker pace it all goes out the window. ;D

I ran about 8.5 today and tried a few different breathing techniques/cadences...I found it was easiest when I just focused on other things then breathing, and kept running. The more I focus, I find the running gets harder...no matter how good the technique is.

Just me anyways.  :salute:

I just started my running, getting ready for basic.
I breathe in a really relaxed way, they tend to be slower deep breathes, and I never feel that out of breathe, I get to a certain point of discomfort in the lungs, and the legs feel a bit tired and it stays at that level.
My issue, is in my lower stomach, kind of on each side of my belly button it starts to really hurt, I can run through side stitches 'cause they go away, but this pain doesn't. it bothers me because I want to keep running even at 2.5 clicks but I have to stop due to the pain. Not sure what causes it as its not a side stitch, I've never felt this when running before.

IRONMAN3 said:
  Learn how to stomach breath. This is where you inhale enought to push your diaphram down which expands your stomach. If you can relax your diaphram and get enough O2 to your muscles your running will be much easier.
Remember the key is to relax! Push the diaphram down when you inhale!

A
Question: I asked about this from a runner before I read this because I heard it somewhere. The runner told me
NOT to breathe with my stomach when I run. She said to take short breathes like the 3:2 via chest.
Should I try to be the Stomach breathing instead?

why not try it?
If it works - great
If it doesn't - nothing bad is gonna happen...........
And you'll know something more than what you did, before you started your run

R. Warren* said:
Question: I asked about this from a runner before I read this because I heard it somewhere. The runner told me
NOT to breathe with my stomach when I run. She said to take short breathes like the 3:2 via chest.
Should I try to be the Stomach breathing instead?

ummmm.....Ironman3's a runner as well.  ;)

To each their own, but shallow breathing most definitely does not work for me.

G2G

roger that. just asking. trying to find something to help my running.

R. Warren* said:
roger that. just asking. trying to find something to help my running.

Like Geo noted, you could try them all and use whatever works best for you.  Your friend seems to do well with shallow breathing, that's good for her.  I know in general, however, most of my fellow runners breath deep and relaxed.

G2G

....nope, 3:2 doesn't work for me -- 2:2 and 1:2 anerobic seem to be it for me, as does the relaxing "let the diaphragm/stomach drop" thing.

G2G

Back