• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bridges & Equipment of an Engineering Regiment

As an aside, have any of you ever driven/see any vehicle cross over the MGB (and isn't it a class 60 bridge max?)? I'd imagine it must be one scary  thing to do. How many (wheeled) vehicles can cross over it anyway (in its class 60 configuration)?  In ... errr.... 8 years of messing about with it,  I never saw a single vehicle cross over  it - a ruined back, ruined shoulders and never the satisfaction of seeing a purpose for the effort.  Maybe it's time to return to service the American 'Class 60 Over Bridge' (the one under the Sherman tank (or was it the Centurion?) that used to be in long gone and still lamented CFB  Chilliwack: By the way,  Are those monuments/tanks in Edmonton now, and does anyone know the history behind them - (I can remember the Sherman being on the Carl Gustav range in 1977 and the Centurions being in a vehicle dump in CFB Wainwright)).
    if it takes 7 months to become a skilled operator of a bridging tank, then maybe someone somewhere should persuade someone of the necessity to retain the skills (time to have an open house and time to invite in a few journalists to see a demonstration... but ummm.... i guess that career-wise that would be suicidal).

Jack, your memory must be fritzing.  Every bridge I ever built on a gallop (not dry training on base) was trafficed.  The build wasn't considered done till the bridge was crossed.  120' span junction MGB is mlc 60, I believe link reinforced is mlc 70. 10 years since I built a double story single span MGB, and that was in the 1CER compound in Edmonton, so I'm a little rusty on my facts.  3 months to make an Armoured Engineer, not including D&M.

Well, the rumours have it that MGB is also done.
We had effectively lost our EOD capability but re-learned it once the need came back in Afghanistan, so the branch has decided this demonstrates we can re-establish (on demand) capabilities that were cut when the demand was low.

... of course, the Air Force and Navy had kept the EOD capability and were available to re-teach the Army for Afghanistan.

Without bridging assets, how are Military Engineers going to maintain mobility  or Line of Communications for our BGs ? I think we are losing a pretty key capability that can not be recovered anytime soon. The highways department in Sask cut their Bridge Branch decades ago and many of the highways suffered as the private sector supposedly picked up the slack. Instead of roads being capable in a timely fashion it now takes several months to effectively get across any significant gap. Of course they build NSB like structures or substutute culverts which wash out during the next 10 yr flood event.

Hey Kat! Of course my memory is fritzing. I teach English in Poland - how can it not? It's not just the memory either.
    Seriously though, isn't 'aid to civil power' one of the roles of the military? So what can engineer units bring to the table - some  EOD work, the diving section, bridging, water supply, trained heavy equipment operators and trained and organized labour. Therefore it could be pointed out to the government the crucial need for modern rapid bridging materials in the event of natural disaster. Maybe a deal could be swung with provincial authorities for a stockpile of bridging materials (Acrow) and practice time for engineer units to train in their assembly (after-all, it could be pointed out that votes might be lost if aid is not gotten to people in time).

good article on it  http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2012/01/uk-military-bridging-equipment-medium-girder-bridge/

The aussie solution http://www.ausa.org/publications/armymagazine/archive/2004/6/Documents/SA_0604.pdf

Acrow is still being made and used by Highway departments and can be rented http://acrow.com/products-services/bridges/

speaking of bridging, this is interesting

the-week-in-photos-sept-28-oct-2-2.jpg

Colin P said:
speaking of bridging, this is interesting

the-week-in-photos-sept-28-oct-2-2.jpg

Recycling at its best.  Not for the claustrophobic, but a cure for those who are afraid of heights when on high level crossings.  Nice replacement for any covered bridge that may have been 'torched' by vandals.

delmiss said:
oh - I apologise. I should have written that I am surprised that 1 CER is not co-located with the land-area's bridge holdings - so where are those located?
  On the TQ5 course, does a corporal-to-be still learn to be a bridge commander? The course I had, I believe, was the last of the 'long' courses (1980) - great course - both staff and members.

If I am not mistaken some bridging equipment is still held in Chilliwack while the rest is with 1 EET in Wainwright (I think ).

As for bridge commander that is on the QL6A (DP3A) Section Commander Course (Sgt's course)

Back