• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brigadeer J.E. Genet

ChaosTheory

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I am trying to find some information on Brigadeer J.E. Genet, more specifically bio and achievements.

There aren't many sources on him on the internet, rcsigs.ca has very little and the C&E 90 Years and Counting only says he was the Chief Sigs Officer in WW2 as well as he died in Belleville in  the 1970s.  The CFSCE library lacks in any materials on him.

A search on this forum doesn't tell me much.

Does anyone have or know of any sources where I can find more information on him.

If you can get access to a pre-Second World War militia list (which contrary to title included both regular and reserve officers), you will be able to get his age, education, dates of promotion and partial posting history up to then. Major John Grodzinski, whom I believe, is on staff of RMC, has compiled a Second World War list of commanders and key staff of First Canadian Army down to brigade level from the mobilization date to closing out for each formation and may be able to help. I am not at home at present, so I am working from memory and am unable to consult my copy, but you may be able to glean enough information to construct an outlne biographical sketch.

Grodzinski's self-published volume "Operational Handbook for the First Canadian Amy 1944-45" provides the following:

1st Cdn Div, Commander Royal Signals - Lieut.-Col. J.E. Genet 17 Oct; 1939-1940

First Cdn Army, Chief Signal Officer - Brig J.W. (sic) Genet, CBE, MC; 6 Apr 1942 - 30 Jul 1945  (probably an error in transcription for the initials)

Also, try searching the London Gazette for mentions.  You should be able to track down the MC citation and the dates of his honours and awards. (Search using both initials and given names.) For example:

Military Cross Citation:

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 14 NOVEMBER, 1916

Lt. John Ernest Genet, Eng. - For conspicuous gallantry in action. He personally successfully supervised and directed the maintenance of all signal communications to the rear, with great skill and determination, working under great difficulties and continual bombardments.

Legion of Merit

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 15 AUGUST, 1946

Department of National Defence, Ottawa,
30th March, 1946.

The KING has been pleased to grant unrestricted permission for the wearing of the following decorations which have been conferred on the undermentioned personnel in recognition of distinguished services in the cause of the Allies: —

DECORATIONS CONFERRED BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Legion of Merit, Degree of Commander.

Lieutenant-General Guy Granville SIMONDS, C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O.
Brigadier John Ernest GENET, C.B.E., M.C.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 13 JANUARY, 1931. (LINK)

MEMORANDA.

The undermentioned offrs., of the Canadian Forces are granted local rank from 13th Jan. 1931, as stated against their names with seniority as shown below whilst on mil'y duty in the United Kingdom: —

PERM. ACTIVE MILITIA OF CANADA.

Capt. John Ernest Genet, M.C. 1st July 1920.

From Blatherwick's "Canadian Army; Honours - Decorations - Awards; 1902-1968"

CBE - Gazetted 5 Jun 1943

London Gazette for CBE

From http://www.generals.dk/general/Genet/John_Ernest/Canada.html

1940 - 1941  Chief Signal Officer VII Corps
1941 - 1942  Chief Signal Officer I Canadian Corps, England
1942 - 1945  Chief Signal Officer 1st Canadian Army, England

Just saw this. On the road, thus late posting this.

Note: each PDF is two pages.

Back