• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)

This looks interesting....

CHALLENGES POSED BY RETURNING FOREIGN FIGHTERS

Introduction

When the US-supported Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) recovered the last pocket of territory from under the control of the Islamic State in March 2019, the problem of how to deal with the foreign fighters who had joined IS but were now seeking to return to their countries of origin (or might do so the near future) became increasingly pressing. The issue became even more urgent following President Trump's decision to withdraw US forces from northeast Syria in October 2019, which enabled Turkey's military operation in the area. In response to this offensive, Syrian Kurds affiliated with the SDF have threatened to abandon their posts guarding ISIS detention camps. The potential escape of thousands of ISIS prisoners could create an immediate security threat to countries across the world as many of these fighters could attempt to return to their home countries and carry out terror attacks there. Finally, Turkey’s forced repatriation program, which began in November 2019, returned many ISIS foreign fighters to their home countries, including those in Western Europe. Announcing the start of this policy, Turkish interior minister Süleyman Soylu said that Turkey was “not a hotel” for Islamic State detainees from other countries.4 All of these events have forced states to deal with the challenges posed by returning foreign fighters.

https://extremism.gwu.edu/sites/g/files/zaxdzs2191/f/Challenges%20Posed%20by%20Returning%20Foreign%20Fighters.pdf

Bread Guy said:
Didn't know whether to put this one here, or in the Walts thread, but it appears to have come full circle ....From the Mounties ...As always, presumed innocent until proven guilty via due process, but potentially going to jail because he (at least allegedly) pretended to be a terrorist?  The irony burns ....

Wait...what??

This guy PRETENDED to be a member of ISIS, and made up stories of himself doing criminal acts in order to support his imaginary story??

Wtf... who WANTS members of the public to think they are a legit member of ISIS when they aren't?  **No proper emoji for the sheer confusion in my brain right now**

CBH99 said:
Wait...what??

This guy PRETENDED to be a member of ISIS, and made up stories of himself doing criminal acts in order to support his imaginary story??

Wtf... who WANTS members of the public to think they are a legit member of ISIS when they aren't?  **No proper emoji for the sheer confusion in my brain right now**

Is there a Stolen Valour website for the bad guys?

Hamish Seggie said:
Is there a Stolen Valour website for the bad guys?
That's why I was torn between posting here or in the Walts/posers/wannabes thread ...

CBH99 said:
Wait...what??

Any number of reasons why this immature phuck made this up. Cred with his buddies, street cred with potential associates, trying to get dates (lets not forget how many ladies bolted to Iraq to marry an ISIS guy), mental illness, Munchausen Syndrome, histrionic personality disorder, or trying to make money off of social media etc etc.

Nothing surprises me anymore. (Except Jennifer Aniston chose Brad Pitt over me.)

You've still got a good chance!  She isn't with him anymore, and she's looking better than ever  8)

CBH99 said:
You've still got a good chance!  She isn't with him anymore, and she's looking better than ever  8)

Except now Angelina Jolie dumped Brad as well, so poor old Weinie will be pulled in two different directions... and Charlize Theron is single, too.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Isn't there a height requirement on those rides??
Jennifer is 5'5", Angelina is 5'7", and Charlize is 5'10", so they all meet or exceed the minimum.

CBH99 said:
Wait...what??

With yet another development in the mix ....
The New York Times has retracted the core of its hit 2018 podcast series Caliphate after an internal review found the paper failed to heed red flags indicating that the man it relied upon for its narrative about the allure of terrorism could not be trusted to tell the truth.

The newspaper has reassigned its star terrorism reporter, Rukmini Callimachi, who hosted the series.

Caliphate relayed the tale about the radicalization of a young Canadian who went to Syria, joined the Islamic State and became an executioner for the extremist group before escaping its hold.

Canadian authorities this fall accused the man, Shehroze Chaudhry, of lying about those activities. He currently faces criminal charges in a federal court in Ontario of perpetrating a terrorism hoax.

"We fell in love with the fact that we had gotten a member of ISIS who would describe his life in the caliphate and would describe his crimes," New York Times executive editor Dean Baquet tells NPR in an interview on Thursday. "I think we were so in love with it that when we saw evidence that maybe he was a fabulist, when we saw evidence that he was making some of it up, we didn't listen hard enough." ...

A couple of updates on this:

Two of the kids have been brought home; one in October 2020- sole survivor of an airstrike that killed the rest of her family including parents. The other came home this past weekend, it looks like family got her home with a bit of necessary consular support from GAC.

From MacLean's, 'Bring Them Home'- the repatriation of the first of those two kids has increased pressure on the government both to bring home the kids, and to set mechanisms in place for prosecuting the adults. Most notably, lawyer Lawrence Greenspon has been retained by a number of the families of detained Canadians. I think we can safely surmise that there will be increased pressure soon, and a greater call on the various governmental and security agencies to be ready to handle this potential influx.

... Two of the kids have been brought home; one in October 2020- sole survivor of an airstrike that killed the rest of her family including parents. The other came home this past weekend, it looks like family got her home with a bit of necessary consular support from GAC ...
Next step ....
A Canadian woman was released from a camp for ISIS detainees in northeast Syria on the weekend, a lawyer representing her family said on Monday.

The woman, believed to have left for Syria in 2014, has been taken to Erbil, northern Iraq, setting the stage for her return to Canada.

She is the first Canadian adult to leave the makeshift camps and prisons for suspected ISIS members captured in Syria during the conflict.

What awaits her upon her arrival in Canada in the coming weeks remains uncertain.

Asked what steps were being taken to protect public safety, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair’s office declined to answer. The RCMP did not comment.

But sources told Global News the RCMP was not notified about the case until Sunday, leaving little time to prepare.

Ottawa lawyer Lawrence Greenspon told Global News the woman is the mother of a four-year-old girl who was brought back to Canada from Syria in March.

The mother’s departure from the Syrian camp was facilitated by a “third party,” specifically former U.S. diplomat Peter Galbraith, Greenspon said.

Galbraith was also responsible for getting the woman’s daughter out of Kurdish custody, Greenspon said. Galbraith could not be reached for comment ...

Uh oh. If that floodgate opens it’s gonna be a mess. While I accept the inevitability that they’ll be coming home, let’s keep it to a slow trickle...

How many are we actually talking about? I honestly have mixed feelings about this.

My guess is that we don't really know how many there are. This article mentions 'at least 47 Canadians'.

I assume that if we throw the first few in jail the rest will take note and try to play their options.

"More than one year ago, in March 2019, local fighters aided by a US-led, international coalition routed the Islamic State (ISIS) from the Syrian town of Baghouz, the last holdout of the group’s self-declared caliphate. In addition to capturing Syrians, the US-backed fighters, called the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), rounded up thousands of others who had been living under ISIS—men, women, and children from more than 60 countries. Since then, these foreigners have been arbitrarily detained in filthy and often inhuman and life-threatening conditions by authorities in northeast Syria, with the tacit approval of the Global Coalition Against ISIS, whose members include Canada. The detainees include at least 47 Canadians."

That was good read. Thanks.

While I feel sorry for the children caught up in this, I have far less sympathy for the pleadings of those grown adults that made the choices that they made.

Somehow though, I think that many lawsuits will come of this from those desperate to get back when and if they do.

Those are the known. How well (or not) they are received upon repatriation will influence the unknowns to follow suit or stay put.
I’d be curious to see the if the “unknowns” who may not even be canadian try and swindle their way in.

Back