• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

daftandbarmy said:
Good for you CT. Wouldn't it be interesting and more effective if we could drive a support system based on people like you - who are good at keeping in touch with others like that - versus having to go through the formal chain of command?
I think both are important.  Having a personal and professional relationship with your soldiers to look after their welfare is important for leaders to truly be able to look out for their personnel, but at the same time no matter which chain of command those soldiers are moved on to there is a responsibility to take care of them.

Canadian.Trucker said:
I think both are important.  Having a personal and professional relationship with your soldiers to look after their welfare is important for leaders to truly be able to look out for their personnel, but at the same time no matter which chain of command those soldiers are moved on to there is a responsibility to take care of them.

I could not agree more. I admittedly am not the greatest at staying in contact with soldiers that have moved on to other pursuits, but just the  other day a soldier I know phoned me from BC at 0700, which was 0500 BC time to discuss an issue he had.

Not a military development per se, but a bit of history coming 'round ....
The wrinkled faces of the elderly Kenyans who gathered in a downtown Nairobi hotel registered gratitude, relief and joy as Britain's high commissioner say what many waited decades to hear: Britain is sorry.

Britain on Thursday said it "sincerely regrets" the acts of torture a British colonial government carried out against Kenyans fighting for liberation from colonial rule in the 1950s and 1960s.

In London, Foreign Secretary William Hague told the House of Commons the government recognizes that Kenyans were subject to torture and other ill treatment.

Several thousand now-elderly Kenyans say they were beaten and sexually assaulted by officers acting for the British administration trying to suppress the "Mau Mau" rebellion, during which groups of Kenyans attacked British officials and white farmers who had settled in some of Kenya's most fertile lands.

Thursday's settlement will pay about $21.5 million to the 5,200 Kenyans who were found to have been tortured, or about $4,000 per Kenyan victim. Another $9.25 million goes to pay costs to the Kenyans' legal team.

"This success is total jubilation. We are so happy today because the truth will be told worldwide," said Francis Mutisi, assistant secretary general of the Mau Mau War Veterans Association. Mutisi said he was detained by Britain's colonial government for three weeks in 1960 while looking for a job.

Martyn Day, a lawyer for the Kenyans, said he hopes Hague's statement will be "the final resolution of this legal battle that has been ongoing for so many years."

"The elderly victims of torture now at last have the recognition and justice they have sought for many years," Day added. "For them, the significance of this moment cannot be overemphasized." ....
The Canadian Press, 6 Jun 13

milnews.ca said:
Not a military development per se, but a bit of history coming 'round ....The Canadian Press, 6 Jun 13
How is it that the legal team receives about 43% of what the settlement value is for their legal fees?  I'm sure it's been a long battle and many hours spent by the firms for their services, but that just makes me shake my head.

Canadian.Trucker said:
How is it that the legal team receives about 43% of what the settlement value is for their legal fees?  I'm sure it's been a long battle and many hours spent by the firms for their services, but that just makes me shake my head.
Just like with our own vets (e.g. here and here), the longer it takes (through governments not wanting to set precedent, some pushing for more than might be considered reasonable, etc.), the mo' the legal beagles get.

How should we remember?

We have two contrary views of the First World War – one of triumph and pride, the other of tragedy and sorrow. But as we prepare for the centenary next year, we must be aware that the truth is never that simple, says Harry Mount

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10109434/How-should-we-remember.html

daftandbarmy said:
How should we remember?

We have two contrary views of the First World War – one of triumph and pride, the other of tragedy and sorrow. But as we prepare for the centenary next year, we must be aware that the truth is never that simple, says Harry Mount

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10109434/How-should-we-remember.html

My brief and quite undistinguished academic career nearly came to an early (earlier than planned) end in the 1960s when I penned an essay about my (then) newly found idea that the First World War, the Great War, was a huge British foreign policy blunder. Britain, I argued, had no vital interests on the continent ~ none, at least, that would require it to take sides between France and Germany.

I still hold to that opinion, today, by the way.

I discovered that - 45 to 50 years on - feelings were still strong. The sacrifices had been to deep and too broad throughout society; suggesting, as I was, that someone's dad or uncle had died in vain, even in a "bad" cause, was almost too much.

I survived the exercise and, eventually went back to things at which, unlike the study of history, I was judged competent.

I was delighted, therefore, when, around the year 2000 I read Niall Ferguson's The Pity of War which reinforces part of my thesis.

I still argue that the fatal blunder was made a decade before the war, in 1904, when Britain and France signed the Entente Cordiale which:

1. Made Britain's entry into the latest Franco-Prussian War inevitable; and

2. Was the greatest British foreign policy blunder in over 1,000 years ~ on a par with failing to deal honestly with William of Normandy.

E.R. Campbell said:
My brief and quite undistinguished academic career nearly came to an early (earlier than planned) end in the 1960s when I penned an essay about my (then) newly found idea that the First World War, the Great War, was a huge British foreign policy blunder. Britain, I argued, had no vital interests on the continent ~ none, at least, that would require it to take sides between France and Germany.

I still hold to that opinion, today, by the way.

I discovered that - 45 to 50 years on - feelings were still strong. The sacrifices had been to deep and too broad throughout society; suggesting, as I was, that someone's dad or uncle had died in vain, even in a "bad" cause, was almost too much.

I survived the exercise and, eventually went back to things at which, unlike the study of history, I was judged competent.

I was delighted, therefore, when, around the year 2000 I read Niall Ferguson's The Pity of War which reinforces part of my thesis.

I still argue that the fatal blunder was made a decade before the war, in 1904, when Britain and France signed the Entente Cordiale which:

1. Made Britain's entry into the latest Franco-Prussian War inevitable; and

2. Was the greatest British foreign policy blunder in over 1,000 years ~ on a par with failing to deal honestly with William of Normandy.

I blame Varus, of course, for not being successful in the invasion of Germania with the result that the 'European Civil Wars' lasted for centuries...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest

Then again, what have the Romans done for us?  ;D

MI5  News update 10 June 2013

Six men jailed for over 18 years each for plot to attack EDL

The plotters of a failed attack on an English Defence League (EDL) rally in Dewsbury in June 2012 have today been jailed for a minimum of 18 years and 9 months each. Omar Khan, Jewel Uddin, Zohaib Ahmed, Mohammed Hasseen, Mohammed Saud and Anzal Hussain, all from the West Midlands, pleaded guilty to terrorism charges in April 2013.

In a sentencing hearing at the Old Bailey, Judge Nicholas Hilliard told the men that they all posed "a high level of risk to the public." Khan, Uddin and Ahmed were ordered to serve custodial sentences of 19 and a half years with five years extended licence. Saud, Hussain and Hasseen were ordered to serve custodial sentences of 18 years and nine months with five years extended licence. They will all have to serve at least two thirds of their sentences.

For more information from West Midlands Police, including a detailed background on the case, see the link below.

Minimum of 18 years nine months each for EDL plot group:

http://www.west-midlands.police.uk/latest-news/press-release.asp?ID=4779&dm_i=XM9,1K5JT,8D1GQ3,5CHU7,1

As the horses charged over the hill, it was like the Battle of Waterloo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/10113154/As-the-horses-charged-over-the-hill-it-was-like-the-Battle-of-Waterloo.html

As the Royal Salute for Prince Philip showed, the King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery enjoys a chummy relationship with the monarchy

On Monday I was a guest at Chelsea Barracks, alongside assorted civilians, a clutch of seasoned army wives and some jocular top brass, all assembled to watch the King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery (KTRHA) deliver a Royal Salute in honour of the Duke of Edinburgh’s 92nd birthday.

Now, I must have seen the term “Royal Salute” a thousand times, as in “a Royal Salute was fired to mark the Queen’s birthday”, or “to welcome President Obama”. Yet I have never properly pondered who delivers that tribute. I have lived in sad ignorance of the glorious military machinery that swings into place to deliver, on behalf of the nation, a thrilling tribute to the monarchy, visiting dignitaries and our great state institutions. It’s a slice of pageantry that offers more up-close, blade-and-braid razzle-dazzle than a lifetime’s polite parades on Tarmac.

I am now keenly aware that the King’s Troop are based in Woolwich, but fire their salutes from Hyde Park or Green Park, involving the transfer of 80-odd horses and daunting logistics. Their rivals, the Honourable Artillery Company, blast rounds from the Tower of London. The latter may claim a more spectacular backdrop, but the former have thundering hooves, jangling harnesses and uniforms that date from Waterloo.

As a proud officer rightly remarked, “No one looks bad in boots and breeches.” Quite so – just ask Mr Darcy. Added to which, the KTRHA enjoys a particularly chummy relationship with the Royal family. When the last horse-drawn artillery was replaced by brutish machines in 1947, King George VI declared that a troop must be retained for great state occasions: hence the King’s Troop (a title retained by our Queen, in honour of her beloved father).

When the six teams of six sleek horses, drawing guns used in the Great War, assembled on the parade ground, all onlookers were rapt. Jaw-dropping horsemanship and precision was in thrilling evidence in Green Park, which is where we privileged spectators processed after the troop had trotted out of the barrack gates to cheers from the waiting crowd. I particularly enjoyed the expression of composed hauteur on the female troopers’ faces, as a visiting general took the salute: clearly nothing gives you a sense of martial pride like mastering 17 hands of gun horse. There was a blissful moment of internecine comedy when a troop of Household Cavalry (Blues) came trotting past the parade ground. “Typical,” snorted a senior officer. “Trying to steal our thunder.”

But there’s precious little chance of overshadowing the polished, buffed, glittering King’s Troop. I like to think of myself as some sort of minor connoisseur of national pageantry, having waved my flag at assorted royal weddings, jubilees and garter ceremonies. Yet there was something uniquely moving about standing in Green Park, waiting for the first faint clink of tack and hoof-fall. A military band ramped up the atmosphere with the theme tune from Black Beauty, the hairs stood up on the back of my neck, and in a heartbeat there they were: the six gun teams swept into view over the brow of the hill, charging through the trees at a tremendous, ground-shaking lick, like a vision straight from 1815.

Officers on prancing chargers barked commands and saw the guns detached on to their marks, everyone working with split-time precision. And then, at the exact stroke of noon: boom! The first gun nearly shattered my ear-drums. Twenty rounds for Prince Philip, plus another 20 for the Royal Park. The air reeked of cordite, horse sweat and leather, and a fine mist of gun vapour trailed through the trees. National pride had been satisfied and people blinked back tears.

This July, the King’s Troop will trot out to greet a new royal baby, and wise Britons will head to Green Park.

Soldier killed after stopping comrade putting himself in danger

A soldier was shot on the roof of a checkpoint he was buextilding in Afghanistan, after stopping one of his men from carrying out the dangerous task, telling him: “You’re not going up there because if anything happens to you, your mother would kill me”, an inquest has heard.

Lance Corporal Matthew Smith, 26, of the Royal Engineers, came under fire just 15 minutes before the completing the structure, which was to provide cover on a road running alongside a canal in the Nad Ali district of Helmand.

The father-of-four, from Aldershot, Hants, was given first aid at the scene and evacuated by helicopter but despite efforts by medics at Camp Bastion, he died.

Sergeant Matthew Copping told the inquest in Alton, Hants, that L/Cpl Smith, who was leading his section, had stopped another soldier, Sapper Robert Lloyd, from going onto the roof, where the greatest danger of enemy fire was.

Sgt Copping said: “That was typical of Matt. He led from the front and took every task on. He wasn’t one to stand at the back.”

Sgt Copping said that L/Cpl Smith might have saved his life by rolling off the roof when he was hit. “I would have been the first one back up there on the roof to get him off,” he added.

Earlier in the construction operation, in August last year, a cordon of infantry soldiers had been thrown around the engineers.

However, the cordon had been pulled in at about 6am on August 10, as the soldiers were considered too vulnerable and it was hoped the task would be completed before daylight.

But the work over-ran, making the engineers more vulnerable and L/Cpl Smith was shot about 8.40am.

Sarah Whitby, assistant deputy coroner for north Hampshire, recorded that he had died from a gunshot wound while on active service.

“The luck was against him that day and the bullet hit the vulnerable part of his body armour. If he had been stood up straight, it might have hit the plates and he might have been here today,” she said. She backed the decision to finish the checkpoint in daylight, adding: “I cannot see anyone criticising the decision to complete the work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10116478/Soldier-killed-after-stopping-comrade-putting-himself-in-danger.html

RIP Paul Burns...  :salute:

Paul Burns. As a LCpl in 2 PARA, Paul was one of the few survivors of the Warren Point atrocity, but in spite of being severely injured as a result, led a most heroic life. He died on 7th June aged 52 after a heart attack, following an accident. Read about this indomitable spirit in the links below-a true warrior in every sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqTiXwczDc

http://www.paradata.org.uk/people/paul-burns

David Cameron: we will not make any more cuts to troops

There will be no further job losses in Army, Navy or Air Force, David Cameron has promised.

The Prime Minister promised not to reduce the size of the military any more the day after General Sir Peter Wall, the head of the Army, said additional cuts to troops could harm Britain's ability to win wars.

His intervention is likely to calm a bitter Government row over military spending, as the Ministry of Defence resists deep cuts demanded by the Treasury as part of the Spending Review for the year 2015/16.

The Treasury is seeking £11.5 billion of savings across all departments and is expecting the Ministry of Defence to submit to its share of cuts.

However, military chiefs have warned it will cripple the armed forces and Philip Hammond, the Defence Secretary, has been fighting against any moves that would have an impact on Britain's frontline fighting capabilities.

With just weeks to go before the Spending Review must be finalised, Mr Cameron spoke out to make it clear that the Ministry of Defence will find ways of saving money that do not involve more job losses than those already planned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10121212/David-Cameron-we-will-not-make-any-more-cuts-to-troops.html

Paratrooper Paul Biddiss and disabled son kicked out of home by heartless MoD bosses

Hero soldier Paul Biddiss has been told he must leave the house he shares with 13-year-old cerebral palsy sufferer ¬Chandler, wife Debbie and their four other boys

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paratrooper-paul-biddiss-disabled-son-1957300#ixzz2WUqk9Q8j

daftandbarmy said:
Paratrooper Paul Biddiss and disabled son kicked out of home by heartless MoD bosses

Hero soldier Paul Biddiss has been told he must leave the house he shares with 13-year-old cerebral palsy sufferer ¬Chandler, wife Debbie and their four other boys

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paratrooper-paul-biddiss-disabled-son-1957300#ixzz2WUqk9Q8j
This is a case I'm sure where policy is being followed, but consideration has to be made and rules to every exception have to come into play.  At the very least allowing them to stay in the home until other suitable arrangements can be made for the welfare of the family as a whole and their 13 year old son specifically.  It makes you shake your head, but hopefully it being in the public spotlight will allow the right decision to be made.

Nelson: French are 'thieves, murderers, oppressors and infidels'.

France is a nation full of "thieves, murderers, oppressors and infidels", according to an extraordinary letter from Admiral Lord Nelson about his rivals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10124698/Nelson-French-are-thieves-murderers-oppressors-and-infidels..html

Back