• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Soldiers Banned in Medicine Hat

greentoblue

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day,

Not sure if this has been posted already.  Here in Alberta the CBC is reporting that British Soldiers are being banned from some of the bars in Medicine Hat.  The reason?  Allegations of "soldiers urinating and vomiting in their establishments, as well as stealing tips from waitresses and exposing themselves to other customers."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/06/20/medhat-british.html#socialcomments

Anybody down at Suffield know if there is any truth to these allegations?  Remember it is the CBC so I am not sure how much stock to put into their reporting.

Sounds like Bermuda when there was a bar with a sign that said "no dogs or Canadian sailors".

And also like Cyprus during decompression Feb-Mar where the Brits were banned from some sections of town. 

greentoblue said:
Anybody down at Suffield know if there is any truth to these allegations?  Remember it is the CBC so I am not sure how much stock to put into their reporting.

It is not only the CBC who is reporting this.

Here it is from CHQR (a Calgary AM radio station)
http://www.am770chqr.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1013072

and the Edmonton Sun

Brit soldiers banned from Medicine Hat pub
By TENILLE TELLMAN, THE CANADIAN PRESS Fri, June 20, 2008

MEDICINE HAT -- Citing problems with violence and vandalism, some businesses in this southern Alberta city are banning British soldiers.

One local pub recently placed a sign on the door warning that the soldiers are not welcome. Other businesspeople have reported they have had to close shop for sanitation after soldiers urinated on the carpet or vomited on a pool table.

There have also been reports of soldiers damaging facilities, stealing tips from waitresses and exposing themselves to other patrons.

But the bannings aren't sitting well with everyone in the city. The British, who have been training at Canadian Forces Base Suffield since 1971, inject about $100 million a year into the local economy - an amount second only to the energy industry.

As many as 1,500 Brits are at Suffield, though the majority are support staff and the problems are with the so-called battle troops - trainees that number around 200. 

Last year, Prince Harry trained at Suffield and made headlines around the world after he was photographed cavorting with young women at a Calgary bar.

But Stuart Hardiker, who served 10 years with the Canadian army reserves and the British military, complained that all Brits are being tarred with the same brush.

"It just blows me away how Canada, which prides itself on being a country of equality, standard of living and freedom of speech, can allow this to go on in plain sight," he said.

Hardiker has lived in Medicine Hat for 12 years and said he's been refused service in restaurants because of his accent. He calls it discrimination.

"That's like saying a black had a fight in a bar, you can't let blacks back in," said Hardiker. "Where do we draw the line?"

Ross Beach, owner of Rossco's Pub, isn't apologizing for his decision to post a sign banning the Brits.

"I'm not barring them because they're battle groups, I'm barring them because of what they're doing in here," he said, explaining his decision was based on specific incidents of theft and vandalism.

He admitted it's a case of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch.

Whether Beach has a legal right to post such a sign seems uncertain.

"You can't paint all people of a certain colour or a certain race, you can't stereotype every single one of them and say 'Every single one of them is going to cause harm,' " said Marie Riddle, director of the Alberta Human Rights and Citizenship Commission.

However, there is a clause in the Human Rights Act that says if a business can demonstrate they have reasonable and justifiable causes, they can discriminate against a customer.

As a former brit soldier, I can attest that when my engr sqn was out in BATUS in february (before the majority of the battlegroups began to arrive), we were pretty well treated, and didn't cause too much trouble, at least, no more than you would expect in a normal army town....

..however, come march, when the activation parties from the BG's arrived, everything went downhill

As per SOP. A proposed solution? Hire off duty British soldiers to expell the miscreants and keep the rest in line.

daftandbarmy said:
As per SOP. A proposed solution? Hire off duty British soldiers to expell the miscreants and keep the rest in line.
I'm pretty sure that'd be in violation of a few Federal Statutes and cause even more problems for the establishments.

I'd say this is more wrong than right. they should put up signs saying no rude behavior or get other Brit or Canadian troops to identify the bad apples and report them to the CO or MPs, saying no British soldiers is destroying our country of freedom and equality, which countless Canadian and not to mention British soldiers have died for.

what's next? put up a huge sign at our borders saying no Arabs allowed cause of the few individuals responsible for 9/11?

Aren't Canadian soldiers still denied access to certain establishments in St Jean?

I know at some bases the military has restricted bars, but in St Jean I've been turned away at the door at more than one place, while not associated with CFLRS.

The business owner is under no obligation to serve destructive customers, military or otherwise. If soldiers are causing more trouble than they're worth in sales then send them elsewhere. The base isn't about to pick up and move because its soldiers are wrecking the pubs infact these guys should be embarassed that this story hit national media.

If you think it's an option to selectively punt the trouble makers try and put yourself in the owner's shoes at night when there's a bar full of drunk rowdy soldiers doing as they please. Do you bounce one? All? Call the cops? Have a big throwdown?

I'm a big fan of blowing off steam when the time comes, but if you can't do it without droppin trou, pissing on things and stealing then stay home. Try doing that s**t at the mess see how it goes?

lone bugler said:
or get other Brit or Canadian troops to identify the bad apples and report them to the CO or MPs......

...umm REALLY can't see that happening, without further bloodshed at least

British troops are used to being banned from their local pubs at home for various heinous activities like these. I'm just glad that they're being made to feel at home during their stay in Canader!

TheCheez said:
I'm a big fan of blowing off steam when the time comes, but if you can't do it without droppin trou, pissing on things and stealing then stay home. Try doing that s**t at the mess see how it goes?

Never served at an officers' mess dinner, huh?

Kat Stevens said:

Lies, all lies.  Every officers' mess dinner I've been to has been all, "harumph, harumph, I say, old chaps...there's a good fellow...let's have the pipes, then, and a round of The Blackbear..." and then we'd do foursome and eightsome reels, have a final whiskey and off to bed, lads...PT comes early in the morning, you know.

Seriously.  Anything else you've heard is a lie.

TheCheez said:
Aren't Canadian soldiers still denied access to certain establishments in St Jean?

I know at some bases the military has restricted bars, but in St Jean I've been turned away at the door at more than one place, while not associated with CFLRS.

The business owner is under no obligation to serve destructive customers, military or otherwise. If soldiers are causing more trouble than they're worth in sales then send them elsewhere. The base isn't about to pick up and move because its soldiers are wrecking the pubs infact these guys should be embarassed that this story hit national media.

If you think it's an option to selectively punt the trouble makers try and put yourself in the owner's shoes at night when there's a bar full of drunk rowdy soldiers doing as they please. Do you bounce one? All? Call the cops? Have a big throwdown?

Not merely bars my friend. I've been turned away service at restaurants and a couple other businesses just because it was their policy not to serve soldiers. I believe that every business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone so long as its not racially or politically motivated. These Brits got what the had coming to them. I wonder how the media/public would have reacted if these were Canadian troops... probably with a lot less favour.

Kat Stevens said:

Maybe I'm going to the wrong mess dinners because so far it's been pretty tame.

Served at a couple of officers & snr NCO's messes (back in the early 80's); seen some squirley shite after the CO or RSM went home.  Then again, was involved in some wild partying myself in the JR,s too (but then again, this was +20 years ago).  ;)

IIRC we were not welcome in Dolans in Freddytown at one point as well.

Lets face it, we make arses of ourselfs everywhere we go.Texas comes to mind.

There are ALWAYS the few idoits who ruin it for everyone.

Im currently on a europe tasking and our guys have been doing good.

I dont blame the business owners for banning the Brits.The brits are on again off again business, why drive the local clients away.

If I was a local I wouldnt be going near that bar ever again.Imagine taking your wife out for a night out.

p.s sorry I cant find the question mark and other things on this keyboard. :)

dglad said:

Or, at the very least, grossly misunderstood, right?  ;)

dglad said:
Lies, all lies.  Every officers' mess dinner I've been to has been all, "harumph, harumph, I say, old chaps...there's a good fellow...let's have the pipes, then, and a round of The Blackbear..." and then we'd do foursome and eightsome reels, have a final whiskey and off to bed, lads...PT comes early in the morning, you know.

Bulldookie.  I've seen behavior by these ladies and gentlemen that would make a Hun blush, and have Caligula reaching for a barf bag... :)

Served at a couple of officers & snr NCO's messes (back in the early 80's); seen some squirley shite after the CO or RSM went home.  Then again, was involved in some wild partying myself in the JR,s too (but then again, this was +20 years ago). 

I hear ya. I go the dirty end of the stick by being the drunk bus duty driver for a few of these mess dinners in germany and having to clean up after these clowns. The pilots were the worse, couldn't seem to hold their booze in a moving vehicle.

Working mess dinners was not to bad, by the end of the night we were all pretty wasted from pre tasting the endless bottles of wine we served to the tables. Food wasn't half bad either. Once in a while you would get a disgruntled private who was working of some extra duties, who horked a big juicy one in the soup of the Snr/Nco who have give him the extra's. At the end of the night the barkeep usually turned a blind eye to the dozen or so bottles of wine and port that went missing out the back door. ;D

Back