• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Building your drill voice!

gt102

Inactive
Reaction score
I have to have my drill voice built up for annual (seeing that I am CSM and will have a fair bit of Drill to call at the beginning before my RSM takes over.) Now the problem lays with that I have virtually no drill voice.

I feel it is a combination of a medical problem and lack of drill I have called. The medical problem I have is Acid Reflux, It has eaten away at my vocal cords over the years, and has perminatelly damaged my cords. I have only in the past 1 1/2 - 2 years started taking a medicin for my Acid Reflux. So from this it limits my ability to call drill (I have on a few occasions had to fall off the parade sqaure because my throat had started to bleed and I was coughing up even more blood.

Does anyone have any recomendations on how to "train" my voice without calling a bunch of Drill?

Thanks, Crowe

work fast food in the ghetto, and when people are really bitc*y about their food, you can get the yelling chords going...

I honestly don't know how effective they would be for your problem, but maybe check out singing vocal exercises? The kinds that focus on expanding vocal range and flexibility probably won't be much help, but there should be a variety of voice strengthening exercises that could be. Also your vocal chords will likely be able to handle the strain of yelling better if they've been properly warmed up.

Having said that, I didn't take voice lessons long enough to really offer any good advice into the specifics. Google might be able to turn something up for you. =)

Good luck!

When I first started leadership trg back in the 80's, they placed us in a (by chance - it was not renovated like it was when I left in 94)old 1934 made hydrostone/cindercrete drill hall (-30C) in Dundurn and under guidance from a certain PPCLI WO  8), he had us barking out commands from each corner of the drill hall, and he taught us to bring the voice up from within, like deep down, not yelling it out thru your throat, because you'd have a raw throat in 2 minutes.

With this method, your vocal cords won't get hardly any abuse  :blotto:. It just takes practice. i still use it the odd occasion i give drill, and asisde from ANZAC Day honour guards, the last time 3 yrs ago, I have not given one gram of drill  :eek:, or for that matter been on a parade no larger than PL size. I like it that way  ;D

Hope this helps ya out.

Wes

If you went to Blackdown, you might remember the Sergeant Major of Hotel Company. He was my former RSM. What he taught us was to squeeze our buttcheeks together. Stop giggling, this is no laughing matter!  :mad:

If you went to Blackdown, you might remember the Sergeant Major of Hotel Company. He was my former RSM. What he taught us was to squeeze our buttcheeks together. Stop giggling, this is no laughing matter!

Hmm.... makes sense actually. It forces you to tighten your lower abs, which supports the diaphram, which supports the voice. Try to yell "from the belly" while doing that and you'll find it a hell of a lot easier on the throat. Once you get the feel for it, you can skip the squeezing the buttcheeks part and just tense the lower abs. Makes it a bit easier to walk without looking ridiculous while you're screaming your head off.  ;D

Crowe - that nasty acid reflux of yours is gunna be one hell of a handicap. I'd say just do vocal excersises, like singing or talking often. If you find that your chords start to hurt, use cough drops or Halls... I built up my voice from shouting competitions with my parents and singing in various choirs. ( :eek:!) As you probably already know, your voice is supposed to come from your chest... and yes... squeezing your bum cheeks does help.  ;)

Calling from the diaphram is what you guys are referring to.  Try taking a half breath in, then let it go.  Halls does help a lot, but make sure you spit it out before parade or you could end up spitting it half way across the parade square or worse, choking in front on the RO.

PV

Hmm, I think I'm gonna go to a trip to the doctor again.

My problem is, even just talking I have troubles. My whole tube that runs from my mouth down into my body is deteriorated.

So simple activities as eating or talking can be very VERY painful at times. But anyways I think I might try vocational classes to help build my "range" up. I shall also try halls (no matter how much I despise them)

Thanks

I might try vocational classes to help build my "range" up.

Lol, vocational classes are what you take to become a priest/nun, maybe ur thinking of Vocal classes. If not, then that's still cool. Where's trinity, he's got a new recruit.
As for the halls, i wouldn't reccomend it, they feel very harsh when you have any sort of throat injuries. Well atleast that's how i feel. Sometimes, if i accidentally swallow one, i can feel it tingle in my stomach.

"I feel it is a combination of a medical problem and lack of drill I have called. The medical problem I have is Acid Reflux, It has eaten away at my vocal cords over the years, and has perminatelly damaged my cords. I have only in the past 1 1/2 - 2 years started taking a medicin for my Acid Reflux. So from this it limits my ability to call drill (I have on a few occasions had to fall off the parade sqaure because my throat had started to bleed and I was coughing up even more blood."

- Talk to your doctor about changing your meds.    Tell him about the blood.   Is it the acid reflux, or the meds doing in your vocal cords?  Better yet - ask your local pharmacist in the drug store you get your meds at. Pharmacists generally know more about the meds and their effects than the doctors do.

- I had to use a lot of throat spray, the chalk dust from the classes I taught drove my throat and sinuses nuts.  

kas said:
Hmm.... makes sense actually. It forces you to tighten your lower abs, which supports the diaphram, which supports the voice. Try to yell "from the belly" while doing that and you'll find it a heck of a lot easier on the throat. Once you get the feel for it, you can skip the squeezing the buttcheeks part and just tense the lower abs. Makes it a bit easier to walk without looking ridiculous while you're screaming your head off.   ;D
Squeeze the A** and practice doing it. if you can find a place that has a good sound buffer where you can yell your little heart out would be best. The only thing you can do is to practice practice and some more practice!

Back