• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Burger King ad draws fire

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
::)

0_61_bk_320_2.jpg

An advertisement for Burger King's latest sandwich leaves little to the imagination and should be discontinued due to "distasteful" and unappetizing references to oral sex, advertising experts told FOXNews.com.

The print ad for the "BK Super Seven Incher" — a limited time promotion in Singapore, a society known around the world for its strict government controls of social conduct — shows the "mind-blowing" sandwich near the open mouth of a wide-eyed, red-lipsticked woman accompanied by the suggestive tagline: "It'll blow your mind away."
"Fill your desire for something long, juicy and flame-grilled," the ad continues.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529576,00.html
What baffles me is that a corporation the size of BK doesn't have someone on staff bright enough to realize they were stepping into a mine field.  Absolutely stupid ...

CougarDaddy said:
0_61_bk_320_2.jpg

What baffles me is that a corporation the size of BK doesn't have someone on staff bright enough to realize they were stepping into a mine field.  Absolutely stupid ...
I disagree that it's stupid.  It got a free advert on here, on Fox, and probably lots of other places.  You have to admit, it's fairly unforgettable.

But not all publicity is good publicity

I can't see people walking around and thinking hey, I would enjoy a good BONER Burger right now

Well maybe some people but not friggen many 

I suspect one of the questions asked between the BK corporate staff and the ad agency (if they thought of it at all) was "what percentage of our regular clients are likely to be offended enough to not eat at BK over this?"  Compared to the usual fare on television as well as other print ad campaigns for any number of products, how extreme is this really?

While some publicity may be perceived as bad publicity, I believe there are studies that have established the critical factor in advertising is simply the number of appearances of a brand in registering with a purchaser for later choices or purchases.  By that measure, anything short of repetitive news stories emphasizing fatal food poisoning likely contributes to the cumulative advertising effect.

Now, would be be more or less offended if the girl was less pretty, or if it was a man?

I wonder if the model has filed suit?  If she has an inflated ego, she may not like the PhotoShop job of making her look like an inflatable doll.  Won't that just deflate their campaign strategy? 

Excuse me while I giggle like a schoolgirl who's....oh never mind!! >:D

Her ego isn't the only thing that may be inflated.....oh there I go again!!! >:D

There may be some false advertising charges forthcoming, as these things are probably closer to four inches.

Loachman said:
There may be some false advertising charges forthcoming, as these things are probably closer to four inches.
[/quote

That is to true but who will be the bigger man and own up to it.

One has to ask themselves, do I measure from the top of the sandwhich or the bottom. If you measure from the top you lose at least 3/4 of an inch compared to the bottom. Besides, one persons 7 inch is the tape measures 4. ;)

Michael O'Leary said:
Now, would be be more or less offended if the girl was less pretty, or if it was a man?

As I understand it, the campaign that they are running in Toronto and San Francisco has substituted one of the Village People for the girl on their posters.

Chapeski said:
One has to ask themselves, do I measure from the top of the sandwhich or the bottom. If you measure from the top you lose at least 3/4 of an inch compared to the bottom. Besides, one persons 7 inch is the tape measures 4. ;)

Then again; is that Imperial or metric?

Touche, I was never one for the metric-imperial conversions. Reminds me too much of the Gimli Glider incident. (Was watching Mayday the other day)

I wonder if BK guarantees no shrinkage when the sandwich is taken out of the oven and cools off?

Teflon said:
But not all publicity is good publicity

I wish I could agree, but the extra exposure it's getting because of the fracas is worth WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than they paid for the campaign and the coverage to date.

Loachman said:

It may be 4 in real life, but it's SEVEN on the internet.    >:D

Michael O'Leary said:
It may be 4 in real life, but it's SEVEN on the internet.    >:D

What you mean to say is "it's 7 (AROUND) on the internet" ;)

Teflon said:
a metric inch?

Perhaps I should have rephrased that;  An American Inch or a Canadian Inch?

If you compare the differences in portions in American fast food franchises to their Canadian counterparts, you will find that our Canadian portions for the same item are smaller.