• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet number?

EastVan

Inactive
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I was just wondering if cadets have some sort of service number or something. If so, how would I go about finding it? I ask because I was in army cadets and am putting it on my application. Also, does cadets in any way reduce the waiting time or give you first dibs on anything in the recruitment process? My dad says yes but I'm not sure.

Thanks

You have a service number in cadets if you've staffed at a CSTC.

Being a cadet doesn't give you "first dibs" but it does look better on your application in the same way being a Scout does for the most part.

EastVan said:
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I was just wondering if cadets have some sort of service number or something. If so, how would I go about finding it? I ask because I was in army cadets and am putting it on my application. Also, does cadets in any way reduce the waiting time or give you first dibs on anything in the recruitment process? My dad says yes but I'm not sure.

Thanks

If you worked at a CSTC, you would indeed have a Service Number. Look at your old pay stubs and it will be on there. If you've lost these, check with your unit. This information is documented in FORTRESS now and it may be there. If you have not, you will not have a Service Number.

With regard to wait to wait times, it won't decrease them. Wait times are a part of the process. It may give your file a boost because you have a little bit of pertinent knowledge and you were actively involved in an extracurricular activity (that often involves volunteering). However, it will only be one factor to consider. Everything that gets put on your application will taken into consideration.

i don't think that your service number is that important. neither i or my friends put it on our applications and they didn't say anything about it. And yes being a cadet helps you get in but i wouldn't say it would speed up the proses any.

I am just going through the same thing - yes, you only get a service number once you've got in to summer camp as a staff cadet.  But about the benefits of being in cadets -- I was on the recruitment info chat line last week and I was told that if you've been in cadets for 4 years (maybe it was 3? I don't remember now) then it reduces by 6 months the time it takes to get your first promotion once you've completed your basic training  :)

Stacked said:
I would love for somebody to clear this up.

An applicant who has served in the Canadian Cadet Organizations as a Sea, Army or Air Cadet may, on the authority of the Commanding Officer of a CFRC, be granted 180 days of Incentive Credit (IC) towards the Private IPC 2 pay category provided that the applicant meets both of the following criteria:

completed at least three years of cadet service terminating within five years of the date of submitting an application for enrolment in the CF; and
    successfully completed the environmental third year cadet corps/squadron program as follows:
        Sea Cadets – The Phase Three Program,
        Army Cadets – The Silver Star Program, and
        Air Cadets – The Proficiency Level Three Program.

The credit granted to a cadet on enrolment is a one-time recognition of the experience they have gained throughout their cadet training. Credit will be granted only on enrolment in one of the components of the CF and will not be granted on a subsequent transfer between components. Furthermore, time spent as a cadet is not eligible for inclusion when calculating Time Credit for Promotion on enrolment.
http://www.cadets.ca/coats-saioc/cato-oaic/cato_oaic.aspx?id=102571

So it`s six month incentive towards your first pay increment for NCM`s. Their is no incentive for officer applicants.

Oops forgot that last paragraph.

Stacked said:
I'm also pretty surprised the Silver Star program is the requirement and not the National Star Certification Exam (NSCE).

I believe it would be to keep it in line with what the air cadets and sea cadets have to get to be eligible for the incentive.

Time as a staff cadet at a CSTC also counts as Class B pensionable Reserve time which can be bought back to add towards your Reg F pensionable time.  I'm currently buying back 80-odd days from a staff cadet stint, and around the same number of days against a SYEP stint at a NavRes unit....a very long time ago.  ;)

yoman said:
http://www.cadets.ca/coats-saioc/cato-oaic/cato_oaic.aspx?id=102571

So it`s six month incentive towards your first pay increment for NCM`s. Their is no incentive for officer applicants.

That's incorrect, I recieved the 180 incentive due to cadets. I staffed 2 summers too.  I had different Service Numbers both summers though oddly. I brought some certificates and stuff from cadets showing that I was there for more than 3 years which is the amount needed for the 180days and they put it on my message. I know it actually has gone on because I recently started getting paid more and I've been sworn in for just over a year now. 

Rogo said:
That's incorrect, I recieved the 180 incentive due to cadets. I staffed 2 summers too.  I had different Service Numbers both summers though oddly. I brought some certificates and stuff from cadets showing that I was there for more than 3 years which is the amount needed for the 180days and they put it on my message. I know it actually has gone on because I recently started getting paid more and I've been sworn in for just over a year now.

This thread - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12946.0 - along with a look at CFAO 6-1 (if it hasn't been cancelled or converted to a DAOD already) should clarify the matter.

Occam said:
This thread - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12946.0 - along with a look at CFAO 6-1 (if it hasn't been cancelled or converted to a DAOD already) should clarify the matter.

It`s been converted to DAOD 5002-1 (http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5002-1-eng.asp). Their is nothing in that document mentions anything about pay incentives for former cadets. Although something tells me that their has to be more then a CATO to back up the cadet pay incentive.

Occam said:
Time as a staff cadet at a CSTC also counts as Class B pensionable Reserve time which can be bought back to add towards your Reg F pensionable time.

That's probably not the case with current staff cadets, though.  Staff cadets were enrolled in the Forces for the duration of their contracts until sometime in the 1990s, but that's no longer the case.  Would that square with the time period when you were a staff cadet?

N. McKay said:
That's probably not the case with current staff cadets, though.  Staff cadets were enrolled in the Forces for the duration of their contracts until sometime in the 1990s, but that's no longer the case.  Would that square with the time period when you were a staff cadet?

Ermmm....yes, I guess early '80s would be before things changed.  ;D  I don't recall swearing an oath or signing anything...other than pay sheets, that is!  Of course, my memory isn't what it was either.  What were we talking about??

Staff Cadets became "staff cadets" vice "corporal call-outs" in 1981.  Up through 1980 they were actually enrolled in the CF Reserve.  Starting in 1981, they were simply employees on the government payroll using reserve corporal rates of pay.  I remember it rather vividly.  It apparently came about from an incident in which a number of cadets had been on leave (which they could get as reservists) who were killed in a car accident.  As staff cadets who were not members of the CF, there was no obligation to give them leave, so the camps could keep them on site for the whole summer (and did).  I've never heard about being able to count staff cadet time as pensionable time.  Reserve time is certainly pensionable (provided you pay for it).

Pusser said:
Staff Cadets became "staff cadets" vice "corporal call-outs" in 1981.  Up through 1980 they were actually enrolled in the CF Reserve.  Starting in 1981, they were simply employees on the government payroll using reserve corporal rates of pay.

Thanks for the clarification.

Pusser said:
Staff Cadets became "staff cadets" vice "corporal call-outs" in 1981.  Up through 1980 they were actually enrolled in the CF Reserve.  Starting in 1981, they were simply employees on the government payroll using reserve corporal rates of pay.  I remember it rather vividly.  It apparently came about from an incident in which a number of cadets had been on leave (which they could get as reservists) who were killed in a car accident.  As staff cadets who were not members of the CF, there was no obligation to give them leave, so the camps could keep them on site for the whole summer (and did).  I've never heard about being able to count staff cadet time as pensionable time.  Reserve time is certainly pensionable (provided you pay for it).

There must be another explanation then.  My dates were off - I pulled out my paperwork today to take a look.  I was a staff cadet in 1984, and SYEP reserve in 1985 - and I got paid as Pte(R) for the SYEP and Pte(B) IPC 1 for the CSTC staff cadet job.  I actually made more as a cadet than I did as a reservist - a lot more, actually, as the staff cadet employment was quite a bit longer than the SYEP.

When I applied last year to buy back my SYEP time, DAPPP couldn't find any records on it - so they sent off a request to National Archives.  They found my pay sheets from both summers, and DAPPP told me I could elect to buy back both periods of service.  I've already elected and am buying it all back.

Hey everyone,

I attended a CSTC but only as a course cadet, as in I didn't teach or instruct. This means that I do not have a Service Number, correct?

Thanks for reading this.

With respect,

Michael K.

Mike92 said:
I attended a CSTC but only as a course cadet, as in I didn't teach or instruct. This means that I do not have a Service Number, correct?

Correct, you do not have a service number.

If you can't find your service number CFRC can find it through a search, how ever this does add time to your waiting process.

Back