• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets vs Reserves for RMC applicant

From close secondhand experience, I would say that if you are not able to join a PRes unit, and get your BMQ, BMQ(L) and preferably a DP1 course, then consider staying in Cadets.  This would mean if you joined the reserves now, it should be with an aim to applying for the ROTP 2012/2013 period (trg start for Recruit Camp of August 2012).  This would get you time to be trained and establish a few PTE pay incentives, for which you would be granted "vested pay rights" upon your transfer to the RegF as an OCdt at RMC.  It's a notable difference in pay, for example an ROTP OCdt makes ~$1510/month and a Pte(T)1 makes ~$2670/month.

As others have noted, however, the Component Transfer (CT) process does take longer than "off-the-street" recruitment into the ROTP, so you would have to start the ROTP application process early...Oct-Nov 2011 at the latest for an Aug 2012 start at RMC.

2 more ¢

Regards
G2G

You also don't need to go to RMC to enroll in the ROTP, thought I should mention that since no one else did.

If your thinking of giving a career in the CF a try i would suggest going into the PRes as it will give you an idea of what your getting yourself into.  I have seen many a person go through the system with a certain idea of what the CF does and have it totally blown out of the water when they went PRes as they soon learned, that we don't always give candy to kids and help out the neighbor next door during a time of distress.  My CT took less than 2 months then again i was not apply ROTP so that might have an influence on the time line.

CIC will do anything and feed you all kinds of BS to get you to stay and pretty much waste more time of your life

This statement is truly distasteful, and offensive. i am a CIC officer, and have counselled my senior cadets that were considering joining PRes/Reg force service to follow their heart and good for them for the consideration! I have never,ever told my cadets that I would prefer them to stay where they do not want to be, whatever the reason. I was a cadet, and an artillery reservist back before the DOD,and feel I speak with some experience.Ubique

[quote  -  and with the whole "waste of your time" - after 4 years it just starts to get redundant and the 3 units I've been a member of failed to make my time and the rest of the corps time exciting and have and Army touch to it. It started to become like going to school for another 2-3 hours at night; except you wore a uniform and did drill. 
But all-in-all I have nothing against the Cadet program - sure I have a lot to complain about... but that's something I'll keep to myself.]

It sure seems that you have a lot to complain about , and it is the corps staff that you should be starting with. The whole program is under reinvention, and from what I have seen it is and will be a better system than the one I took in the '80's. The dynamics of the system have been changed to reflect the current dysfunctions of the system. There are going to be bugs in the system, but all-in-all it is better. If the training staff cannot teach a dynamic class to maintain the interest, then it is their fault if they lose cadets to 'another three hours of school"! The CIC are supposed to help this problem by teaching in a manner that encourages hands on participation..not more lecture.My two cents.Ubique

What Gun Runner said.  You have made a very large generalization based upon the interaction you had with a few people.  I too encourage my cadets (when they ask) to broaden their military horizons.  I have gone as far as helping to arrange a question and answer session between our affiliated unit CLO and the cadet AND his parents (who were naturally curious about what he would be up to) so that he could make up his mind if he wanted to go ahead and try the reserves out. 

Also you can no longer be a cadet and be a member of the primary reserve.  That just changed a few months ago and I can't remember the CATO right now but it is fact.  Some folks are worried about the "child soldier" thing.  ::)

Northalbertan said:
Also you can no longer be a cadet and be a member of the primary reserve.  That just changed a few months ago and I can't remember the CATO right now but it is fact.  Some folks are worried about the "child soldier" thing.  ::)

Can you cite the change?

I stand corrected here is the quote from CATO 13-07.  You cannot be a member of the CIC and a cadet.

2. The provisions for eligibility for
membership in a cadet unit are outlined in
Chapter 4 of the Queen’s Regulations and Orders
(Cadets) (QR(Cadets)). The provisions for
enrolment in the Primary Reserve are outlined in
CFAO 49-10 and 49-11. Membership in a cadet
unit does not legally bar enrolment in the
Primary Reserve.

3. Membership in Cadets or the Primary
Reserve should be re-evaluated, however, if the
cadet/reservist is unable to deal with the
increased responsibility. The cadet unit CO shall
determine whether continued involvement as a
cadet is appropriate.

4. A person may not be a cadet and a member
of the CIC concurrently.

North Albertan

I've spent a fair amount of time with RMC cadets working for me.  Most of them are doing the standard starving student routine because of all the deductions (food, etc.) coming off their very small pay.  Most of them are enviously aware of the fact six months in the PRes would have got them a pretty decent hike in their pay.  Unfortunately, nobody told them about it beforehand.
So, if you're not going to have a lot of money to go to Foxhole U with, it's something to consider.  Otherwise, do what makes you feel good about yourself.

Hi, I did 3+ yrs in the Air Cadets and 2 yrs in the PRes (Infantry). After High School, I went to RMC. During the selection process, my interviewer seemed to look favourably on the fact I had some cadet leadership courses, and had qualified TQ2 (Mortars) in the Infantry. IMO, leaving cadets for the militia was a good experience 'for me'. I was very immature at 17, and my attitude was soon checked by the older soldiers in my militia regt. I'm not sure that would have happened if I stayed in cadets.  It absolutely helped during BOTC and during phase training...after being a Pte, even in the reserves, you get a much better understanding of how to be a better 2Lt, or at least, a good grip of what not to do.

That being said, there were cadets from my cadet sqn that also enrolled at RMC. They went Air Force. A couple of them did very well at RMC, with one graduating as the CWC.

As for the pay thing... grr......when I went to RMC, I was not paid a Class-C Cpl, I got paid as a OCdt. This was due to the CF not transferring me from the reserves to the RegF. Instead, I was released from the reserves, and re-enrolled in the regs the next day. I gather some officers have been able to get back pay for this 'error', but it's not retroactive far enough to help out this old man.

One last point, if you can get a tour before going to RMC, do it. It would be something special to be able to wear a GCS on your cadet uniform. I imagine that little bit of ribbon and tin would shield you from at least 15% of the BS that goes on.

JMesh said:
Furthermore, IAW CATO 13-07, it is possible to be a member of both the CCO and the PRes.

An update for any future readers of this thread. DAOD 5002-1 was updated since these posts, and this is a new part of the regulations.

Membership in Cadet Organizations

On the day of enrolment, an applicant may not be a cadet in a cadet organization authorized under section 46 of the National Defence Act.

Back