• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CADPAT Rain Gear

Nothing eats PTFE (Teflon) and that is what the breathable membrane is made of. If oil and fuel did they would not line high pressure oil and fuel lines with it and use it for high temp gaskets and seals.

I will look for an MSDS sheet for PTFE tommorrow. 

http://www.goremilitary.com/ow_product6.html
"To deliver better durability and a longer life cycle, GORE-TEX BEST DEFENSE® outerwear was designed to provide resistance against perspiration and contaminants such as DEET, as well as petroleum, oils, and lubricants.

Look for the GORE-TEX® brand name to make sure you have the right gear. Through years of field testing and use, only products that carry the GORE-TEX brand have been proven to provide the best comfort and performance.

If It Doesn't Say GORE-TEX® Fabric - It's Not!
Choose the proven performance of
GORE-TEX BEST DEFENSE® products"

Why would we buy a proven garment when we can design our own? Well no time to ponder that I have to go reinvent the wheel.

Now promise me you army guys won't get angry........I got sized today for my CADPATs, including Rain suit, combat coat, intermediate pants, parka, and bib pants (or bunny pants, whatever you want to call them), all of which is CADPAT and GoreTex, I even saw the GoreTex tags! It's all a layer system, with the pants and shirt on then the intermediate jacket/pants followed by the parka and bunny pants, you feel like the Staypuff Marshmellow Man! There is no way you'll be cold in that, it may be a little warm with all that stuff on, but that's what the layers are for. We should be getting issued it in Jan/Feb and to my knowledge, we're one of the last places to get it. Crazy how the army doesn't have CADPAT coats or parkas yet.

Cheers

We just got sized here in Winnipeg for the Jan issue.........i couldnt believe it !!!  I already had the rain coat and pants but this takes the cake.

Yeah, rub it in....    :)

Enjoy your new kit.  Seriously!  If the Army can't have it because we can't get our collective crap together on the procurement/convergence side of the house regarding the ICE, them all the power to you "blue jobs" for having had the foresight to sort yourselves out. 

Not that you really need the Goretex shell et-al, but hey - at least if it exists we Army types know who to mug if push comes to shove and we really need the stuff....  ;)

Mark, are you saying we should turn around and head the other direction if we see you coming? "That's a pretty nice parka boy! Why don't you step into this dark alley so I can get a good look at it"

Matt
Tell that to my jacket. I had hydro fluid for a Leo spray over me. The outer was OK, but the liner was crap. That is one reason, we did keep or old parka.

Now promise me you army guys won't get angry........I got sized today for my CADPATs, including Rain suit, combat coat, intermediate pants, parka, and bib pants (or bunny pants, whatever you want to call them), all of which is CADPAT and GoreTex, I even saw the GoreTex tags! It's all a layer system, with the pants and shirt on then the intermediate jacket/pants followed by the parka and bunny pants, you feel like the Staypuff Marshmellow Man! There is no way you'll be cold in that, it may be a little warm with all that stuff on, but that's what the layers are for. We should be getting issued it in Jan/Feb and to my knowledge, we're one of the last places to get it. Crazy how the army doesn't have CADPAT coats or parkas yet.

Other than the rain gear, the operational units in the army have had all that stuff since Jan 2003. There's no point in wearing it really, since its not any better warmth wise than the old stuff (we can't walk around with our hands in our pockets), and camoflague wise,  unless it starts snowing relish in wainwright, its no better either. Although the leopard print fleece is very stylish....

You guys can have it, and take the tacvest too while you're at it. :)

Hey Inch,  19 Wing got sized for its entire ensemble at the start of the summer.  We shouldn't be seeing any of the warm stuff as it doesn't get cold enough out here.  The rain gear is excellent!  Aesop081, you should be allowed to wear your CADPAT rain gear with your OD flight suit.  There was a directive released about 3 months ago allowing all AF pers to do exactly that.  Until the new ACE (aircrew ensemble) is released under CEMS - basically the army's IECS parka in OD, it is our only source of rain protection.  The only caveat to this directive is that we cannot wear the gear while flying - as it has not been checked out by ALSE.

Comox was/is the first Wing to be completely decked out in CADPAT, it is strange to see anyone wearing OD combats anymore.  Which brings to question, why was that Sig Op on the cover of the Maple Leaf still wearing OD??

Would that be this picture? http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/scripts/PortWeb.dll?quickfind=LH2002-012-065a.jpg&catalog=combat&template=cc_showdetail_e

It's a two year old picture...

Britney Spears said:
Other than the rain gear, the operational units in the army have had all that stuff since Jan 2003. There's no point in wearing it really, since its not any better warmth wise than the old stuff (we can't walk around with our hands in our pockets), and camoflague wise,   unless it starts snowing relish in wainwright, its no better either. Although the leopard print fleece is very stylish....

Really? I find that kind of odd, since I'd never seen a CADPAT combat coat until yesterday, even in the Maple Leaf.  So if you guys are happy with the OD jackets, then why do you need CADPAT combats? There isn't always snow when it's cold so why not have a jacket that matches your pants and shirt?

Other than the rain gear, the operational units in the army have had all that stuff since Jan 2003. There's no point in wearing it really, since its not any better warmth wise than the old stuff (we can't walk around with our hands in our pockets), and camoflague wise,   unless it starts snowing relish in wainwright, its no better either. Although the leopard print fleece is very stylish....

Judging by the info on your profile and some of the comments on this board i have seen comming from you...i will take those coments and put them in the bulshit file.

Zoomie:  I have seen that directive but i am not one to argue too much with the SCWO...he pretty much decides where i get posted !!  lol.......

Well he is right that operational army units have the ICE gear as they get deployed.  I tend to agree that they went overboard with the entire cadpating of everything, but it's better than nothing.

Judging by the info on your profile and some of the comments on this board i have seen comming from you...i will take those coments and put them in the bulshit file.

The reason I made my profile in jest is because some people  need to turn every thread into a penis size competiiton, and they feel inadequate unless they can find some to talk down to.  Those same folks also don't seem to have much of a sense of humour.

The thousands of soldiers who have been deployed since 2002 would obviously never call me on my BS,  but nothing could get past YOU now, could it? I guess the pics I posted of my parka about a month ago isn't enough to convince anyone eh? To think I pulled it out of the plastic specially for you guys too. If you never noticed the whole  battalion across town that's  been prancing around cool as ICE,  you should get out and around more often.

Really? I find that kind of odd, since I'd never seen a CADPAT combat coat until yesterday, even in the Maple Leaf.  So if you guys are happy with the OD jackets, then why do you need CADPAT combats? There isn't always snow when it's cold so why not have a jacket that matches your pants and shirt?

Apparently, noone seems to care about me being happy, or just my feelings in general, which is strange, because I think my feelings are very important. It was a rather depressing day really.

Yes, its nice to have a jacket that matches my shirt and pants, but a cadpat parka and bib pants is overdoing it a bit don't you think?

Recce41 said:
Matt
Tell that to my jacket. I had hydro fluid for a Leo spray over me. The outer was OK, but the liner was crap. That is one reason, we did keep or old parka.

Was it the nylon liner part of the OD Green Canadian IECS jacket that disintegrated from the Hydraulic fluid?  If so, that's not the part of the jacket that has the gore-tex, it's a separate uncoated liner.

I've had FRH, 90weight/gear oil, Dexron and all sorts of other POL cocktails get on my gore-tex without any negative effects.  About the only thing that I've seen ruin a Gore-Tex jacket was a set of batteries that leaked fluid all over the Marine pulling them out of his LAV.  The acid not only destroyed his Gore-Tex in a matter of hours, but also ate holes in his utility (combat) trousers and did a nice chemical burn on his legs.

Hydraulic fluid will not destroy Nylon or Teflon. If it did they would not use oil to lube nylon bushings or use nylon thread in Teflon lined hydraulic hoses. If petroleum eats Gore-Tex why does my friends uncle (a rig pig) wear a Mountain Hardwear one piece Gore-Tex suit on the job? This brings me back to this question "What the hell are our jackets made of and who makes the materials?"

I should e-mail Gore and ask if they were responsible for my combat jacket.

The reason I made my profile in jest is because some people  need to turn every thread into a penis size competiiton, and they feel inadequate unless they can find some to talk down to.  Those same folks also don't seem to have much of a sense of humour.

The thousands of soldiers who have been deployed since 2002 would obviously never call me on my BS,  but nothing could get past YOU now, could it? I guess the pics I posted of my parka about a month ago isn't enough to convince anyone eh? To think I pulled it out of the plastic specially for you guys too. If you never noticed the whole  battalion across town that's  been prancing around cool as ICE,  you should get out and around more often.

Really? I find that kind of odd, since I'd never seen a CADPAT combat coat until yesterday, even in the Maple Leaf.  So if you guys are happy with the OD jackets, then why do you need CADPAT combats? There isn't always snow when it's cold so why not have a jacket that matches your pants and shirt?

Apparently, noone seems to care about me being happy, or just my feelings in general, which is strange, because I think my feelings are very important. It was a rather depressing day really.

Yes, its nice to have a jacket that matches my shirt and pants, but a cadpat parka and bib pants is overdoing it a bit don't you think?

Britney:

Fair enough,  But i guess you are not all that up to date........that battalion cross town is mostly gone (i go down there once a week BTW) !  You did bring up a good point about the bib pants..i do think they are a little much but CADPAT is a good pattern so, lets use it.  As far as the thousands of soldiers you are refering to, i'll admit i'm not too sure what you mean by that !  Me, i'm just glad i'm getting some decent kit for once, wether or not i ever get to wear it is a question though.

As far as the thousands of soldiers you are refering to, i'll admit i'm not too sure what you mean by that !
I had made the statement that
Other than the rain gear, the operational units in the army have had all that stuff since Jan 2003.

Thus, the easiest way to confirm this would be to inspect or question one of the thousands of soldiers that have been deployed operationally since Jan 2003. How exactly did you expect me to "bulshite" something like this? I'm beginning to fear that I may have commited an OPSEC violation here,  maybe the mods should delete my posts before the entire air force catches on to our game.

You will also note thant Jan 2003 predates the "battalion across town"s move by about 8 month or so. 

I suggest people check this sight out:
http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/dpmain.htm

Designed for cold/wet weather.  I've used some on these items around Oregon, in heavy rains and down into the teens (without windchill factor) in single layer configuration, and stayed warm and happy on the move and still.  Freezing weather doesn't really require Goretex as much as windproofness, since its freezing something that drys fast and wicks away mostiure is nice.  The Douple-P stuff Buffalo makes is one option...

Beathability is an important factor for heavy outside activities, this Buffalo stuff will do that better then Goretex, the wicking / beathability and your own body heat will dry it fast if is gets wet.  Easy to clean in the field.

I do still think Goretex has its place, as a lightweight shell (or liner under combats)  The older EWCS Us goretex was ok, but heavy,  the GEN II us much nicer, since they removed the liner, or at least most of it.

Does anyone know if the army is going to be recieving new rain gear?  It seems kind of odd to me that my desert rain gear is not only camo, but better than my old green stuff.  Not that I use that green crap anyways.

Thanks,
Andrew

I know for sure that there was talk and trials for a new rain gear in Cadpat(TW) that had some design features that made it a little more wearable than the current issue.I don't have a link handy,but it was mentioned in not only a power point demo for the textile industry,but also in the Maple Leaf.
Haven't heard to much more about it,but so far CTS has started to issue out more and more of the "supplemental" items(new ranger blanket,Camel Bak) so hopefully this one will also make an  appearance soon as well.Till then,I'll still be strut in' my stuff in my stealth suit,feeling bad for the troops sweating to death in the issue rain jacket.
A more experienced gear junkie,or maybe even some one taking part in the trial,could maybe post pics and comments on it to give others a good idea of how it's shaping up.
Hope this helps.

Arte Et Marte

Back