• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Beard policy-CANFORGEN 158/18

ballz said:
That's right, but it says "UPON ATTAINMENT OF THEIR OPERATIONALLY FUNCTIONAL POINT (OFP) OR HAVING COMPLETED DEVELOPMENTAL PERIOD ONE, WHICHEVER COMES LAST" so what is "development period one?"

I have seen it referred to in a variety of ways and often, in career manager briefings, more so along a spectrum than with a hard and fast point where one goes from DP1 to DP2.

Well I would say logically....that you are in DP1 until the day you qualify DP2, which for most trades is a formal course..  But yes I can see room for interpretation, is this meant to say the end of DP1.0 or the entire DP1 period?

The way I read it is if you attained DP1/OFP once, you can wear a beard therefore OT would be allowed to wear it.

Maintaining a 2cm length seems more of a pain in the ass than shaving every day.  Seems like picking a random religion (like one of my soldiers did) is the way to go for a fluffy face.

And unless soldiers are deployed with readily access to full cbrn protective equipment AND medical counter measures (not just a gas mask and a PowerPoint brief ) the OMG CBRN THREAT argument against beards is silly.

Jarnhamar said:
Maintaining a 2cm length seems more of a pain in the ass than shaving every day.  Seems like picking a random religion (like one of my soldiers did) is the way to go for a fluffy face.

And unless soldiers are deployed with readily access to full cbrn protective equipment AND medical counter measures (not just a gas mask and a PowerPoint brief ) the OMG CBRN THREAT argument against beards is silly.

The 2cm in bulk thing is a little silly, but I think it's just because they don't want everyone looking like Viking-faced, Spartan helmet tattoo wearing, Pipehitters Union hat sporting, Delta Force wannabes.

But, it's easily manageable.

Agreed on the CBRN comment though. Did a couple tours where CBRN kit and training was required, but your supporting UMS didn't have the countermeasures  ::)

That said, even dudes with huge beards (think Sikhs) have told me that they Vaseline the shit out of their beard and they get a perfect seal with the mask on.

LunchMeat said:
That said, even dudes with huge beards (think Sikhs) have told me that they Vaseline the shit out of their beard and they get a perfect seal with the mask on.

They probably get a good enough seal for the gas hut where the particles are fairly big, there are a lot of nasty agents out there that are a lot smaller particle size than CS gas. Just something to consider.

ballz said:
That's right, but it says "UPON ATTAINMENT OF THEIR OPERATIONALLY FUNCTIONAL POINT (OFP) OR HAVING COMPLETED DEVELOPMENTAL PERIOD ONE, WHICHEVER COMES LAST" so what is "development period one?"

I have seen it referred to in a variety of ways and often, in career manager briefings, more so along a spectrum than with a hard and fast point where one goes from DP1 to DP2.

Programmes and Qualifications - Non-Commissioned Members  and  Programmes and qualifications - Officers may give some guidance.

LunchMeat said:
< snip > Vaseline the shit out of their beard and they get a perfect seal with the mask on.

dangerboy said:
< snip > there are a lot of nasty agents out there that are a lot smaller particle size than CS gas.

For the N95, men must be clean-shaven where the respirator seals to the face.

mariomike said:
For the N95, men must be clean-shaven where the respirator seals to the face.

What is a N95? I have never heard of it, who in the CAF uses it?

dangerboy said:
What is a N95?

"N" means Not resistant to oil. 

95 is the percentage of particles 0.3 μm or larger in diameter that the respirator is certified to block.

dangerboy said:
, who in the CAF uses it?

I'm a former MSE Op. We were not issued it. Perhaps some other trades are?
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=621&ei=AXSuW9igD-XjjwTJ9Z-IBw&q=%22canadian+forces%22+%22N95%22&oq=%22canadian+forces%22+%22N95%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...33847.37703.0.38980.2.2.0.0.0.0.474.599.0j1j4-1.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.124...33i160k1.0.zTXaQegScUE

eg:

Royal Canadian Air Force
A-GA-135-001/AA-001 Chapter 8 Post-Occurrence Activities
Annex A – Personal Protective Equipment
1. The following PPE shall be available:
e. Disposable Industrial Dust Mask (referred to as N95 mask). When this light, comfortable industrial dust mask is properly fitted to the face it allows very little unfiltered air to be inhaled. It provides adequate protection from particulate hazards such as composite fibres, lead oxide dust, depleted uranium dust and asbestos. The N95 mask requires a formal biennial fitting which can be arranged through Base Fire Halls or their equivalents. Instructions on use will be provided at the time of fitment.
http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/flight-safety/article-template-flight-safety.page?doc=a-ga-135-001-aa-001-chapter-8-post-occurrence-activities/hnfpma84#AnnexA

END QUOTE

dangerboy said:

I'd say PMed Techs for the most part.  Maybe WFE Techs too?

US Stars and Stripes article.

https://www.stripes.com/news/canada-hopes-beards-will-boost-morale-draw-diverse-military-recruits-1.549502

To the envy of some U.S. troops, members of Canada’s military can now all wear beards, provided they can do better than peach fuzz but don’t go full mountain man.
The move to allow face fur, which took effect Tuesday, was made to give Canadian servicemembers more freedom in their appearances, the military said in a statement.
The new rules, which came after “extensive consultations” with the troops, are expected to boost morale and attract more recruits. They came as neighboring servicemembers to the south are pushing for more relaxed standards on facial hair.

PMedMoe said:
I'd say PMed Techs for the most part.  Maybe WFE Techs too?
MP have it as part of their PPE for opioid exposure, response to aircraft crashes etc.

garb811 said:
MP have it as part of their PPE for opioid exposure, response to aircraft crashes etc.

The N95 is a reasonable PPE for First Responders ( on Base, and off ), because they often do not know what they are dealing with.

SupersonicMax said:
The way I read it is if you attained DP1/OFP once, you can wear a beard therefore OT would be allowed to wear it.

I certainly believe that is the intent, that "new recruits" must shave until they've earned their stripes so to speak, but we all know how well some people do when it comes to achieving intent... see: BOOTFORGEN schmozzle.

You just know there will be some of the more silly folks insisting people who have been in the CAF for 10-20 years and have VOT'd or CFR'd shave their beard off.

Now that we've dealt with the beard issue, I'm looking forward to the reintroduction of the Queue, as per the Royal Welch Fusiliers, and addition of the flash on the back of our DEUs:

"How the Flash was retained during the First World War was unravelled in 1932, when (then) Lieutenant-Colonel EO Skaife met with the King at Buckingham Palace who explained how they had retained the Flash during the last war, '...[Senior Officers] said [the Flash] was too conspicuous. I told them that the enemy would never see the Flashes on the backs of the Royal Welch.'

http://www.jonathanhware.com/royal-welch-traditions.html

daftandbarmy said:
Now that we've dealt with the beard issue, I'm looking forward to the reintroduction of the Queue, as per the Royal Welch Fusiliers, and addition of the flash on the back of our DEUs:

And really, a man-bun is just a bad pig-tail on the top of the head.

dangerboy said:
N95 masks are commonly fit-tested to health services personnel, for use should there be an outbreak of respiratory illness (eg influenza). As pointed out, others may also be issued N95 masks like MPs. The key to the N95 is that it requires fit testing through the Fire Marshal (similar to other respirator PPE).

ballz said:

The DPs and OFP should be detailed in each individual Occupation Specification, shouldn't it?  It would contain the detail the NCMGS and Officer equivalent do not specify.

ArmyDoc said:
The key to the N95 is that it requires fit testing through the Fire Marshal (similar to other respirator PPE).

If you don't mind me asking, how often is that done?

eg: Annually. Or, more frequently if weight fluctuates or dental alterations occur.

Is there a Medical Directive as to when the N95 respirator is to be worn in the pre-hospital environment?

eg: During active airway management.

Contact with body fluids.

Suspected communicable illness.

I suspect that D Med Pol or FHP have put out direction on N95 use, as well as fit testing, but I don’t have them handy.

Back