• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Beard policy-CANFORGEN 158/18

Unit, as well. A Capt who VOTs might have a better chance of making it under the limbo bar than a NCO who relinquished a higher rank (most if not all VOT NCMs revert to Cpl/S2). Then they end up working/reporting to a BTL NCO or WO/PO1 who knows and possibly cares about the difference....
Yeah, we had a couple 2Lts asking the chief about it when the message first came out. If they hadn’t asked nobody would have bothered/ cared about researching it.

Personally...I don't get the "OFP" piece and not sure where it comes from. Basic? Sure, I can see that. After Basic?

Indiferencia Shrug GIF

I don't know why you shouldn't be allowed to keep the beard, you're not someone new off a street and probably don't hold the rank of private. I know in most cases when you VOT you continue to wear your old capbadge untill you are trades qualified, or else you would potentially see Clp's and higher wearing cornflakes.

you continue to wear your old capbadge untill you are trades qualified

I think that has changed completely now; of your VOT game, you are part of your new trade with your new QL (DP) level.

I agree on the beard part; I'd like to see if removed at the 'BMQ/BMOQ" quald level....

I think that has changed completely now; of your VOT game, you are part of your new trade with your new QL (DP) level.
That is indeed the case. If you were qualified in your former trade, you will wear your new trade badge, even while unqualified. After all, members that OT into another environment are issued their new DEU immediately, and the mere thought of former combat arms members wearing infantry/armour/artillery badges on their new RCAF wedges and RCN peaked caps would cause various heads to explode.

Personally, I think that beards should follow a similar pattern. Once you reach OFP in any trade, you should be able to keep the beard for the remainder of your career.

the mere thought of former combat arms members wearing infantry/armour/artillery badges on their new RCAF wedges and RCN peaked caps would cause various heads to explode.
That would be awesome to see. I saw many double-takes with Balmorals, etc with flight suits on door gunners, so why not? :sneaky:

Personally, I think that beards should follow a similar pattern. Once you reach OFP in any trade, you should be able to keep the beard for the remainder of your career.
Sounds like a submission to the CAF Clothing and Dress Committee!

That would be awesome to see. I saw many double-takes with Balmorals, etc with flight suits on door gunners, so why not? :sneaky:
Flights suits are a little different -- it's operational clothing, and we've had a long history of Army DEU members serving as Flight Attendants (and Kiowa Observers back in the day). To my mind it's no different than Army DEU members posted to ships wearing NCDs or RCN members in brigades wearing CADPAT to the field. Flight suits with army hats are a long established practice that in theory shouldn't have been surprising to people, but in practice was a little shocking because of the glorious millinery of some of our reserve units that provided door gunners.

How about a single standard for hair, makeup, jewellery... So men with braids and earrings are fine, women wearing pants are fine, non-binary people wearing skirts or pants on alternate days are fine...

How about a single standard for hair, makeup, jewellery... So men with braids and earrings are fine, women wearing pants are fine, non-binary people wearing skirts or pants on alternate days are fine...

I can see the CAF eventually going that route, just maybe not as fast as we should. As society changes so must the CAF.

delete - just realized I had gone back too far and was looking at an old post. oops.

Thatthe mere thought of former combat arms members wearing infantry/armour/artillery badges on their new RCAF wedges and RCN peaked caps would cause various heads to explode.
I'd pay to see that. Its so much more fun now I'm retired and watching people twist in the wind and get their knickers tied up in knots over beards, boots and various buttons and bows.

I still don't understand why the CAF cares so much about those aspects of life.... There are so many more important things to worry about than dress. But I guess dress is an easy thing to enforce, as opposed to the other, harder things like you know, moral fortitude.

I still don't understand why the CAF cares so much about those aspects of life.... There are so many more important things to worry about than dress. But I guess dress is an easy thing to enforce, as opposed to the other, harder things like you know, moral fortitude.
They need something to draw attention away from the moral killing, sexual shenanigans of our most senior leadership. Nothing will crush the lower echelons more than Rules for Thee, but Not for Me.

I also get the impression that in many cases the CAF doesn't really seem to understand how to effectively employ senior NCMs once they are moved on past their unit Cox'n/RSM tour.

In the absence of real work to fill one's day, convening meetings between the gaggle of Base/Formation chiefs to come up with an outerwear policy so asinine that someone developed a flow chart to solve it seems like one way to produce the illusion of productivity:

hps5fbu9q1v51.jpg

I also get the impression that in many cases the CAF doesn't really seem to understand how to effectively employ senior NCMs once they are moved on past their unit Cox'n/RSM tour.

In the absence of real work to fill one's day, convening meetings between the gaggle of Base/Formation chiefs to come up with an outerwear policy so asinine that someone developed a flow chart to solve it seems like one way to produce the illusion of productivity:

View attachment 65300
The made up rule doesn’t apply to the ICE Jacket???!!! I’ve been bitter about nothing! Retention issues solved.

I've ignored every single rendition of the "glove-toque flow chart" because, as much as I respect CWO-CPO1s...I also understand they don't authorize dress policy. Advise, enforce? Certainly...

I use this example sometimes to demonstrate dress importance; the RNoAF guards at Andøya main gate. Pony tail with a braid, down past the middle of his back. Beard, also long and "braided" or whatever the proper term is for "not all lose and blowin' in the wind". I think he had ear ring(s) in as well.

His chest rig was squared away. Weapons was spotless. His beret was shaped well and squared away. Uniform was clean, boots were shone. He was fit, he was professional, he was confident and composed.

I remember thinking "they're getting it right".

Back