• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Cannabis Use 2018- DAOD 9004-1

Stoker

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Purpose of DAOD 9004-1

Establishes a framework for the responsible use of cannabis in support of the following objectives:

the maintenance of a physically fit, employable and deployable forces;

the protection of safety in the workplace;

the maintenance of operational effectiveness, including any requirement to maintain a state of readiness; and

the avoidance of impairment which would prevent the safe and effective performance of duties.

Sets out the roles and responsibilities for addressing misuse of cannabis.

Standard of Conduct

CAF members are required to conduct themselves in a professional manner and are expected to make responsible choices regarding the use of recreational cannabis.

CAF members must not engage in any misuse of cannabis. Any misuse will be dealt with through administrative or disciplinary action, or both.

CAF members must inform their supervisor immediately if their ability to perform their duty is compromised due to cannabis consumption.

Risks and effects

Cannabis consumption can cause impairment of attention, cognition, mood, memory, judgement and motor skills. These effects can jeopardize the safety and operational effectiveness of the CAF.

Cannabis smoke contains many of the same harmful substances as tobacco smoke and therefore can damage lungs and cause bronchitis-like symptoms, coughing and wheezing, which can affect overall physical performance.

All CAF members are encouraged to make themselves aware of the information on cannabis consumption under the Health Promotion Program.

What’s permitted

Cannabis consumption and possession by CAF members is permitted provided such consumption and possession is in accordance with all applicable Canadian federal, provincial, territorial and municipal laws, any applicable foreign laws, DAOD 9004-1 and any orders prohibiting cannabis consumption and possession that may be issued under section 5 of DAOD 9004-1.

Don’t travel with cannabis

Although recreational cannabis is now legal in Canada, you cannot import or export any amount of cannabis, including medicinal cannabis, across Canada’s national borders.

It is illegal to take cannabis across international borders. As cannabis is illegal in most countries, you could be denied entry to these countries as a result of consumption or involvement in the legal Canadian cannabis industry.

Prohibitions

CAF prohibitions are grounded in scientific evidence, and are based on considerations relating to military operations, specific job requirements, and workplace safety. CAF members are prohibited from cannabis consumption:

8 hours before any known or expected performance of any duty

during the entire period of the working day or shift

during the entire period of serving on a domestic or international operation, exercise or collective training, other than any period of authorized leave in Canada

CAF members are prohibited from cannabis consumption and possession

during the entire period that the CAF member is in or on any vessel, vehicle or aircraft, military or civilian, operated by or in support of the DND or the CAF

during the period that the CAF member is on training for the basic military qualification or basic military officer qualification and is restricted from leave

during the entire period of an international operation or OUTCAN posting other than any authorized period of leave in Canada

Prohibition periods

The CDS has ordered the following periods of prohibition for cannabis consumption (additional to 8hr prior to any duty) 24 hours before any known or expected performance of any of the following duties, involving a heightened risk and a higher-than-usual need for attention to detail:

operation or handling of a loaded weapon, ammunition, explosive ordnance or explosive;

operation or handling of a weapon system;

a scheduled base emergency response duty, including firefighting or medical first response by military police, a firefighter or a medical technician assigned to medical first response duty;

a scheduled operational exercise or collective training;

operation of a wheeled or tracked vehicle, or mobile support equipment;

servicing, loading, testing or involvement in maintaining a military aircraft or a component of a military aircraft;

training as a candidate for the basic military qualification or basic military officer qualification and not restricted from leave;

parachuting, rappelling or fast roping activities;

maintenance or packing of parachuting, rappelling or fast roping equipment;

operation of a laser of class 3B, 3R or 4, as classified under the American National Standards Institute Z136.1, Safe Use of Lasers; or

operation of a fuel farm or handling of bulk petroleum.

28 days before any known or expected performance of any of the following duties, involving operating in a highly demanding environment or in a precision-oriented task:

operating in a hyperbaric environment, i.e. diving, submarine service or use of a hyperbaric chamber;

high altitude parachuting from a height of or above 13,000 feet above mean sea level;

service as a member of a crew of a military aircraft as a pilot, air combat systems officer, flight engineer, airborne electronic sensor operator, observer, loadmaster, jumpmaster, search and rescue technician, air technician, air gunner, air marshal, tactical aircraft security officer, flight test engineer, flight attendant, flight steward, flight surgeon, flight nurse or aeromedical evacuation technician;

controlling or directing an aerospace platform or asset; or

operation of an unmanned aerial system. enduring and total prohibition on cannabis consumption during the entire period of

an international operation, exercise or collective training, other than any period of authorized leave in Canada; or

a posting or attached posting outside Canada, other than any period of authorized leave in Canada.

Drug Testing

The CAF will be able to order a drug test in certain circumstances for the consumption of cannabis if a CAF member:

is subject to a period of prohibition for cannabis consumption for a period of 28 days or longer before the known or expected performance of certain specific duties;

is on an international operation, exercise or collective training of 28 days or longer; or

is on an OUTCAN posting.

Responsibilities

All CAF members are responsible for being informed of the DAOD, reporting an incident of suspected misuse, and informing their supervisor if they are unable to safely and effectively perform their duty due to cannabis consumption. Commanders and senior leadership are responsible for continuing education in respect of the misuse of cannabis, as well as for taking action, including ordering drug testing in cases of suspected misuse.

Managers and military leaders are to ensure the compliance of their staff with the DAOD.

CAF members may seek clarification of the policies or instructions set out in the DAOD through their chain of command.

Conclusion

CAF members are expected to act responsibly and conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times. Serving our country, at home and abroad, remains the CAF’s primary duty.

Faithfull adherence to the DAOD will ensure that CAF members are able to adequately balance service and operational effectiveness with responsible access to recreational cannabis, thus maintaining the high standards our CAF are known for.

So....who is able to actually use then? Those caveats disqualify at least 50 percent of the Reg Force including pretty much the entire RCAF...

rmc_wannabe said:
So....who is able to actually use then? Those caveats disqualify at least 50 percent of the Reg Force including pretty much the entire RCAF...

Which makes perfect sense.

Chief Stoker said:
Purpose of DAOD 9004-1

Drug Testing

The CAF will be able to order a drug test in certain circumstances for the consumption of cannabis if a CAF member:

is subject to a period of prohibition for cannabis consumption for a period of 28 days or longer before the known or expected performance of certain specific duties;

is on an international operation, exercise or collective training of 28 days or longer; or

is on an OUTCAN posting.

I'm a little curious to see further info on the "in certain circumstances".  Hopefully it is less restrictive than the current regs WRT drug testing.

rmc_wannabe said:

That's right, a bunch of people will still have to choose between their jobs/careers and using cannabis. Same as with a number of civilian trades/occupations. So? That's a choice responsible adults will have to make for themselves. I would say if that presents a conundrum for anyone, I'm perfectly fine with that person choosing another line of work.

Brihard said:
That's right, a bunch of people will still have to choose between their jobs/careers and using cannabis. Same as with a number of civilian trades/occupations. So? That's a choice responsible adults will have to make for themselves. I would say if that presents a conundrum for anyone, I'm perfectly fine with that person choosing another line of work.

Sure. But I also think the CAF is trying to be a restrictive as legally possible because they couldn't just say "no cannabis for CAF members," as opposed to respecting the fact that it's employees are a bunch of adults and that recreational cannabis use is an acceptable behavior for an adult and making an honest attempt at respecting that.

28 days for aircrew is ridiculous. I'd be curious to see which civilian occupations will or could require that.

ballz said:
28 days for aircrew is ridiculous. I'd be curious to see which civilian occupations will or could require that.

The closest civilian counterpart would be the airlines.  I'd be interested in what their policy ends up being.

That being said, I'm on board with a more restrictive policy that can be loosened later when there's more research on its effects.

ballz said:
Sure. But I also think the CAF is trying to be a restrictive as legally possible because they couldn't just say "no cannabis for CAF members," as opposed to respecting the fact that it's employees are a bunch of adults and that recreational cannabis use is an acceptable behavior for an adult and making an honest attempt at respecting that.

Throwing out a guess, but I would wonder if it has to do with being absolutely bloody certain that aircrew have completely cleared it from their bodies before potentially operating aircraft in another country's airspace or on another nation's soil. That doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all.

ballz said:

The way i heard it, when we asked Westjet and Air Canada what they planned on doing for a cannabis policy, they both responded that they were waiting to see what we did...or so I heard...

The next thing you'll know soldiers deployed on operations will be banned from drinking energy drinks  ;)

Sure. But I also think the CAF is trying to be a restrictive as legally possible 
Of course they are.

Brihard said:
That's right, a bunch of people will still have to choose between their jobs/careers and using cannabis.

Thats my take on it.

ballz said:
Commercial pilots will likely have the same restriction. We’ll see what the railways do with their train engineers.

Brihard said:
That's right, a bunch of people will still have to choose between their jobs/careers and using cannabis. Same as with a number of civilian trades/occupations.

I've never tried marijuana, so I am hardly an SME.

But, I can't see anything so wonderful about it that is worth the risk of losing your job.

ballz said:

My husband's a trucker and if he were to get caught with cannabis in his system it would be grounds for dismissal.

28 days is supposed to be the time it takes for it to leave your system completely.  I can only see the excessive timeline for those trades being because of how the drug is metabolized and how it remains in the brain for so long coupled with the lack of studies on how that could impair certain activities at high altitude.

And to see it on an official site, look here:  http://forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-9000/9004-1.page

MCG said:
And to see it on an official site, look here:  http://forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-9000/9004-1.page

I notice this DAOD doesn't apply to Civilians, only to Civilian Managers that supervise CAF member IOT enforce it on CAF mbrs.  So how are we regulating cannabis use on Civilian DND employees that operate equipment, we have Civilian truckers for instance.  Or even show up for work clearly impaired? And unable to do their work.  Are we just putting this on the backs of managers to use existing mechanisms with no specific backing for legal cannabis use?

Strike said:
My husband's a trucker and if he were to get caught with cannabis in his system it would be grounds for dismissal.

28 days is supposed to be the time it takes for it to leave your system completely.  I can only see the excessive timeline for those trades being because of how the drug is metabolized and how it remains in the brain for so long coupled with the lack of studies on how that could impair certain activities at high altitude.

I think people forgot that even in a pressurized aircraft, at high altitude the pressure isn't the same as it is at ground level.  You're effectively sitting at 10,000 feet already in the aircraft at high(er) altitudes. 

I recall reading somewhere that THC is stored in fat cells/fatty tissue and during intense physical/stress situations there are concerns that the THC could then be released into the blood stream.  I wouldn't want that to happen if you're dealing with a decompression at high alt, or a cabin fire, etc.  There's already enough dangers/risks in those situations and they can happen at any time and instantly.  Having experienced some inflight emergencies, you're body reacts to the situation pretty quick; rapid heart beat, stress level, etc.

Imagine the public reaction if a CAF aircraft crashed into a populated area, and it came out that the pilot had "x" level of THC in his/her blood.  The worst case scenario's / risks of aircraft accidents justify the restrictions for mbr's involved in conducting flight ops IMO.

I agree with Dimsum;  if future research/knowledge provides data that would allow a reduced prohibited timeline, then the timeline could be reduced with the same risk being mitigated.  "AVOID, TRAP, MITIGATE" are fundamentals of the HPMA core concepts (Human Performance in Military Aviation).

Old EO Tech said:
I notice this DAOD doesn't apply to Civilians, only to Civilian Managers that supervise CAF member IOT enforce it on CAF mbrs.  So how are we regulating cannabis use on Civilian DND employees that operate equipment, we have Civilian truckers for instance.  Or even show up for work clearly impaired? And unable to do their work.  Are we just putting this on the backs of managers to use existing mechanisms with no specific backing for legal cannabis use?

Civilian workers would be covered under their existing rules no?  The PS has mechanisms and rules in place for things like impairment.

Old EO Tech said:

It's easy to impose new regulations on serving members because there aren't those pesky collective agreements. It will probably take longer to sort out all the ins and outs of coming up with and applying new regulations to civilian employees.  Maybe have a look at this.

https://www.csps-efpc.gc.ca/events/lciw/index-eng.aspx?wbdisable=true

Old EO Tech said:

Are you referring to this section of the DAOD?

Compliance

9.1 DND employees and CAF members must comply with this DAOD. Should clarification of the policies or instructions set out in this DAOD be required, DND employees and CAF members may seek direction through their channel of communication or chain of command, as appropriate. Managers and military leaders have the primary responsibility for and means of ensuring the compliance of their DND employees and CAF members with this DAOD.

Back