• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Cannabis Use 2018- DAOD 9004-1

Brihard said:
Throwing out a guess, but I would wonder if it has to do with being absolutely bloody certain that aircrew have completely cleared it from their bodies before potentially operating aircraft in another country's airspace or on another nation's soil. That doesn't seem ridiculous to me at all.

That's also a very good point, considering that many of our domestic flights potentially have diversion airports in the US for weather, inflight emergencies, etc. 

whiskey601 said:
Are you referring to this section of the DAOD?

Compliance

9.1 DND employees and CAF members must comply with this DAOD. Should clarification of the policies or instructions set out in this DAOD be required, DND employees and CAF members may seek direction through their channel of communication or chain of command, as appropriate. Managers and military leaders have the primary responsibility for and means of ensuring the compliance of their DND employees and CAF members with this DAOD.

Probably this in the start;

Application: This DAOD is an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members) and a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) who supervise CAF members.

This is pretty typical for civilian managers; really no different than military that supervise civilians following the collective agreements, annual evals, etc.  I think the big thing here would be the reporting.

They probably want to do some education as well with this. Stuff like edibles takes hours to kick in, and affect will vary wildly.  It would be easy enough for someone to think they have 12 or 16 hours and still be messed up, so will probably have a number of people run into that kind of thing.  No different than drinking heavily and still being drunk when you wake up, but people will have less experience with it.

Generally seems pretty reasonable though; looks like it's basically 8 hours from bottle to throttle the same as alcohol, with some caveats for anyone doing various specific things.  Like how it was tied to the duties and not a qualification, so shows enough common sense that someone sitting in a desk job (like all the NDHQ pilots) won't have somewhat excessive restrictions, but anyone going to the range would have a longer period (for example) to ensure they are sober.  I actually assumed they would go more 'reefer madness' instead of treat people like adults so that was refreshing.  Maybe that will last until there is an incident that makes the paper...

Navy_Pete said:
; looks like it's basically 8 hours from bottle to throttle the same as alcohol, with some caveats for anyone doing various specific things. 

Like driving,

"Period of prohibition

Cannabis consumption during the 24 hours before any known or expected performance of …

•operation of a wheeled or tracked vehicle, or mobile support equipment;"

mariomike said:
Like driving,

"Period of prohibition

Cannabis consumption during the 24 hours before any known or expected performance of …

While on duty though, not driving your own car on the weekend.  The normal provincial rules for that will apply.  This seems like they picked a somewhat arbitrary time frame to give people enough time to sober up before doing anything with a safety concern, and probably added extra fudge time to allow for the lack of research.  Probably some reasonable guidelines for people that may want to try it once it's legal and keep themselves out of trouble by not being able to do their job safely.

CANFORGEN 151/18 CMP 076/18 281507Z AUG 18

CDS DIRECTION ON USE OF CANNABIS BY CAF MEMBERS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. STRONG, SECURE, ENGAGED: CANADA S DEFENCE POLICY
B. QR & O ARTICLE 19.14
C. QR & O CHAPTER 20
D. DAOD - SERIES 5019 CONDUCT AND PERFORMANCE DEFICIENCIES
E. DAOD - SERIES 7023 DEFENCE ETHICS
F. THE DND AND CF CODE OF VALUES AND ETHICS
G. CDS GUIDANCE TO COMMANDING OFFICERS AND THEIR LEADERSHIP TEAMS
H. CANNABIS AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL (HTTP://NEXUS.GC.CA/TRAVEL-VOYAGE/CANNABIS-ENG.HTML)

1. THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO PROVIDE ALL CAF PERSONNEL WITH MY GUIDANCE AND EXPECTATIONS WITH REGARD TO THE USE OF CANNABIS

2. BILL C-45, THE CANNABIS ACT, WILL COME INTO FORCE ON 17 OCT 18. WHEN THAT BILL COMES INTO FORCE, ADULT CANADIANS WILL BE ABLE TO LEGALLY PURCHASE, POSSESS AND CONSUME CANNABIS, IN ACCORDANCE WITH ALL RELEVANT FEDERAL, PROVINCIAL, TERRITORIAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS. UNTIL THAT TIME, POSSESSION OF CANNABIS REMAINS ILLEGAL IN CANADA, UNLESS AUTHORIZED FOR MEDICAL OR SCIENTIFIC PURPOSES

3. THE LEGALIZATION OF CANNABIS REPRESENTS A SIGNIFICANT CHANGE. CAF MEMBERS ARE REQUIRED TO MAKE RESPONSIBLE CHOICES IN RESPECT OF THE USE OF CANNABIS IN SUPPORT OF THE FOLLOWING OBJECTIVES:

A. THE MAINTENANCE OF PHYSICALLY FIT, EMPLOYABLE AND DEPLOYABLE FORCES;
B. THE PROMOTION OF SAFETY IN THE WORKPLACE;
C. THE MAINTENANCE OF OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS, INCLUDING ANY REQUIREMENT TO MAINTAIN A STATE OF READINESS;
D. THE AVOIDANCE OF IMPAIRMENT WHICH WOULD PREVENT THE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE OF DUTIES

4. CAF MEMBERS SHOULD BE AWARE THAT CANNABIS SMOKE CONTAINS MANY OF THE SAME HARMFUL SUBSTANCES AS TOBACCO SMOKE AND THEREFORE CAN DAMAGE LUNGS AND CAUSE BRONCHITIS-LIKE SYMPTOMS, COUGHING AND WHEEZING WHICH, ALONE OR TOGETHER, CAN AFFECT THEIR OVERALL PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE

5. EVERY CAF MEMBER MUST ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT CANNABIS CONSUMPTION CAN CAUSE IMPAIRMENT OF ATTENTION, COGNITION, MOOD, MEMORY, JUDGEMENT AND MOTOR SKILLS. ANY ALLEGED MISUSE OF CANNABIS THAT JEOPARDIZES THE SAFETY AND OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS OF THE CAF, INCLUDING REPORTING TO DUTY IMPAIRED OR BEING UNABLE TO SAFELY AND EFFECTIVELY PERFORM ASSIGNED DUTIES DUE TO CONSUMPTION OF ANY INTOXICANT, WILL BE INVESTIGATED AND DEALT WITH THROUGH THE MOST APPROPRIATE ADMINISTRATIVE OR DISCIPLINARY ACTION, OR BOTH, AND MAY RESULT IN RELEASE FROM THE CAF

6. I URGE EVERY CAF MEMBER TO READ WITH GREAT ATTENTION THE DAOD ON USE OF CANNABIS BY CAF MEMBERS (DAOD 9004-1) WHICH IS SIMULTANEOUSLY ISSUED WITH THIS CANFORGEN AND WILL BECOME EFFECTIVE 17 OCT 18. I HAVE ORDERED THAT ALL CAF MEMBERS BE PROHIBITED FROM CANNABIS CONSUMPTION WITHIN 8 HOURS PRIOR TO PERFORMING ANY DUTY

7. FURTHERMORE, I HAVE ORDERED THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL PROHIBITIONS FOR CAF MEMBERS:

A. GENERAL PROHIBITIONS:

I. CANNABIS CONSUMPTION DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD OF THE WORKING DAY OR SHIFT OF THE CAF MEMBER,

II. CANNABIS CONSUMPTION DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD THAT THE CAF MEMBER IS SERVING ON A DOMESTIC OPERATION, EXERCISE OR COLLECTIVE TRAINING, OTHER THAN ANY PERIOD OF AUTHORIZED LEAVE IN CANADA,

III. CANNABIS POSSESSION DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD THAT THE CAF MEMBER IS SERVING ON AN INTERNATIONAL OPERATION, EXERCISE OR COLLECTIVE TRAINING, OTHER THAN ANY PERIOD OF AUTHORIZED LEAVE IN CANADA,

IV. CANNABIS CONSUMPTION OR POSSESSION DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD THAT THE CAF MEMBER IS IN OR ON ANY VESSEL, VEHICLE OR AIRCRAFT, MILITARY OR CIVILIAN, OPERATED OR IN SUPPORT THE DND OR THE CAF,

V. CANNABIS CONSUMPTION OR POSSESSION DURING THE PERIOD THAT A CAF MEMBER IS ON BASIC MILITARY QUALIFICATION OR BASIC MILITARY OFFICER QUALIFICATION AND IS RESTRICTED FROM LEAVE

B.  24 HOUR PERIOD OF PROHIBITION BEFORE ANY KNOWN OR EXPECTED PERFORMANCE OF THE FOLLOWING DUTIES:

I. OPERATION OR HANDLING OF A LOADED WEAPON, AMMUNITION, EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE OR EXPLOSIVE,

II. OPERATION OR HANDLING OF A WEAPON SYSTEM,

III. A SCHEDULED BASE EMERGENCY RESPONSE DUTY, INCLUDING FIREFIGHTING OR MEDICAL FIRST RESPONSE BY MILITARY POLICE, A FIREFIGHTER OR A MEDICAL TECHNICIAN ASSIGNED TO MEDICAL FIRST RESPONSE DUTY,

IV. A SCHEDULED OPERATIONAL EXERCISE OR COLLECTIVE TRAINING,

V. OPERATION OF A WHEELED OR TRACKED VEHICLE, OR MOBILE SUPPORT EQUIPMENT,

VI. SERVICING, LOADING, TESTING OR INVOLVEMENT IN MAINTAINING A MILITARY AIRCRAFT OR A COMPONENT OF A MILITARY AIRCRAFT,

VII. TRAINING AS A CANDIDATE FOR THE BASIC MILITARY QUALIFICATION OR BASIC MILITARY OFFICER QUALIFICATION AND NOT RESTRICTED FROM LEAVE,

VIII. PARACHUTING, RAPPELLING OR FAST ROPING ACTIVITIES,

IX. MAINTENANCE OR PACKING OF PARACHUTING, RAPPELLING OR FAST ROPING EQUIPMENT,

X. OPERATION OF A LASER OF CLASS 3B, 3R OR 4, AS CLASSIFIED UNDER THE AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARDS INSTITUTE Z136.1, SAFE USE OF LASERS, OR

XI. OPERATION OF A FUEL FARM OR HANDLING OF BULK PETROLEUM(SEMICOLON)

C.  28 DAY PERIOD OF PROHIBITION BEFORE ANY KNOWN OR EXPECTED PERFORMANCE OF THE FOLLOWING DUTIES:

I. OPERATING IN A HYPERBARIC ENVIRONMENT (DIVING, SUBMARINES, SERVICE OR USE OF RECOMPRESSION CHAMBERS),

II. HIGH ALTITUDE PARACHUTING FROM A HEIGHT OF OR ABOVE 13,000 FEET (3,962 METERS) ABOVE MEAN SEA LEVEL,

III. SERVING AS A MEMBER OF A CREW OF A MILITARY AIRCRAFT AS A PILOT, AIR COMBAT SYSTEMS OFFICER, FLIGHT ENGINEER, AIRBORNE ELECTRONIC SENSOR OPERATOR, OBSERVER, LOADMASTER, JUMPMASTER, SEARCH AND RESCUE TECHNICIAN, AIR TECHNICIAN, AIR GUNNER, AIR MARSHALL, TACTICAL AIRCRAFT SECURITY OFFICER, FLIGHT TEST ENGINEER, FLIGHT ATTENDANT, FLIGHT STEWARD, FLIGHT SURGEON, FLIGHT NURSE, OR AEROMEDICAL EVACUATION TECHNICIAN,

IV. CONTROLLING OR DIRECTING AEROSPACE PLATFORM OR ASSET, OR

V. OPERATING AN UNMANNED AERIAL SYSTEM

D.  AN ENDURING AND TOTAL PROHIBITION ON CANNABIS CONSUMPTION FOR ANY CAF MEMBER ON A POSTING OR ATTACHED POSTED OUTSIDE CANADA, OR PARTICIPATING IN AN INTERNATIONAL OPERATION, EXERCISE, OR COLLECTIVE TRAINING, UNLESS ON AUTHORIZED LEAVE IN CANADA

8. THE ABOVE LIST OF PROHIBITIONS DOES NOT PREVENT ANY COMMANDER OF A COMMAND OR OFFICER HOLDING THE SENIOR MILITARY APPOINTMENT IN ANY GROUP AT NDHQ FROM REQUESTING THE ISSUANCE OF CDS ORDERS SETTING OUT ADDITIONAL PROHIBITIONS ON CANNABIS CONSUMPTION AND POSSESSION APPLICABLE TO CAF MEMBERS IN THEIR ORGANIZATIONS

9. CAF PERSONNEL SHOULD NOTE THAT POSSESSION OR CONSUMPTION OF CANNABIS IS ILLEGAL IN MOST COUNTRIES. PREVIOUS USE OF CANNABIS COULD RESULT IN A TRAVELLER BEING DENIED ENTRY TO THEIR DESTINATION. THE LINK AT REF H PROVIDES ADDITIONAL DETAILS ON CANNABIS AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

10. THE CHAIN OF COMMAND SHALL ENSURE THAT ALL CAF MEMBERS AND SUPERVISORS ARE MADE AWARE OF THIS CANFORGEN AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THE CONTENT OF DAOD 9004-1 ON USE OF CANNABIS BY CAF MEMBERS. FURTHERMORE, FOR THOSE CAF MEMBERS FOR WHOM CANNABIS CONSUMPTION IS PROHIBITED FOR A PERIOD OF 28 DAYS OR LONGER, IT MUST BE UNDERSTOOD THAT CANNABIS REMAINS A DRUG WITHIN THE MEANING OF THE CANADIAN FORCES DRUG CONTROL PROGRAM. AS SUCH, DRUG TESTING REMAINS AUTHORIZED FOR THESE INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE PROGRAM, AND I EXPECT THIS TESTING TO BE CONDUCTED WHERE APPROPRIATE

11. AS ALWAYS, I EXPECT EVERY CAF MEMBER TO ACT RESPONSIBLY AND CONDUCT THEMSELVES IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER AT ALL TIMES. SERVING OUR COUNTRY, AT HOME AND ABROAD, REMAINS OUR PRIMARY DUTY. I AM CONFIDENT THAT FAITHFULL ADHERENCE TO THE DAOD AND THIS CANFORGEN WILL ENSURE THAT CAF MEMBERS ARE ABLE TO ADEQUATELY BALANCE SERVICE AND OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS WITH RESPONSIBLE ACCESS TO RECREATIONAL CANNABIS, THUS MAINTAINING THE HIGH STANDARDS WE ARE KNOWN FOR.

With the official policy out now, some questions remain:

- How are DND civilians governed, once this takes effect? (already asked earlier)
- How will CFHA regulate the RHUs, or Base singles quarters smoke pits?
- Mess Dinners are a duty, according to the CANFORGEN, smoking up would not be allowed.
- How will other nations' forces training, working in Canada be governed regarding legalized cannabis?

Navy_Pete said:
Probably this in the start;

Application: This DAOD is an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members) and a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) who supervise CAF members.

This is pretty typical for civilian managers; really no different than military that supervise civilians following the collective agreements, annual evals, etc.  I think the big thing here would be the reporting.

They probably want to do some education as well with this. Stuff like edibles takes hours to kick in, and affect will vary wildly.  It would be easy enough for someone to think they have 12 or 16 hours and still be messed up, so will probably have a number of people run into that kind of thing.  No different than drinking heavily and still being drunk when you wake up, but people will have less experience with it.

Generally seems pretty reasonable though; looks like it's basically 8 hours from bottle to throttle the same as alcohol, with some caveats for anyone doing various specific things.  Like how it was tied to the duties and not a qualification, so shows enough common sense that someone sitting in a desk job (like all the NDHQ pilots) won't have somewhat excessive restrictions, but anyone going to the range would have a longer period (for example) to ensure they are sober.  I actually assumed they would go more 'reefer madness' instead of treat people like adults so that was refreshing.  Maybe that will last until there is an incident that makes the paper...

Yes Pete is correct that is what I was referring too

Well, I've got absolutely no intention of ever touching Cannabis due to the fact that it does not have the typical effect on my physiology, so whatever happens, I'm going to be completely clean in perpetuity.

My partner and I are having a debate about the recruiting policy.

Me coming from a legal background, I have reservations about whether they will alter the recruitment policy for applicants with closed files due to marijuana use within the last year. My partner, for instance, is in that boat.

I said that he used it while it was illegal, and thus the consequence remains so. But he predicts that once marijuana is legalized, he'll be able to contact the recruiting centre and re-open his application (he says he doesn't need to re-apply, which I thought he would). I realize that this is pure speculation for the time-being. And to clarify - he has not smoked since the same date he provided when doing his CFAT/TSD and has no intention of doing so again, regardless of updated policies.

What are your speculations on the topic of recruiting and the potential addendum? Sorry if I wasn't particularly clear - I was discussing applicants who are currently waiting to re-apply due to their file being closed for marijuana consumption within the year.

DueFall said:
What are your speculations on the topic of recruiting and the potential addendum? Sorry if I wasn't particularly clear - I was discussing applicants who are currently waiting to re-apply due to their file being closed for marijuana consumption within the year.

My understanding is that new applicants are not currently being asked about cannabis consumption.  So rather than speculating, I would contact the nearest recruiting centre now to see what they have to say!  I don't think waiting until it is legalized is the only option.

DueFall said:
My partner and I are having a debate about the recruiting policy.

Me coming from a legal background, I have reservations about whether they will alter the recruitment policy for applicants with closed files due to marijuana use within the last year. My partner, for instance, is in that boat.

I said that he used it while it was illegal, and thus the consequence remains so. But he predicts that once marijuana is legalized, he'll be able to contact the recruiting centre and re-open his application (he says he doesn't need to re-apply, which I thought he would). I realize that this is pure speculation for the time-being. And to clarify - he has not smoked since the same date he provided when doing his CFAT/TSD and has no intention of doing so again, regardless of updated policies.

So let me start by saying that I am not a recruiter and haven’t been one for quite some time.  On this though, past drug use is not necessarily a show stopper.  What can be though is frequency and dépendance.  Same as with any legal or illegal substance.  If you are considered a risk due to high alcohol or caffeine intake you could also be turned down.  It is unlikely that the recruiting system needs to change much or anything as isn’t a security/criminal issue and is more of a medical/health issue.

The new rules have been released:

http://forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-9000/9004-1.page

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2018/9/7/1_4084015.html

Has DND and Canex considered the ramifications? Will Doritos now be kept as war stocks to ensure we don't run out at a critical time? On our next deployment will Tim Hortons carry a line of THC products? Will the Cannex carry enough snacks? 

Suppose bases will have to construct  green pits and designated areas outside of shacks for people to smoke pot in, just like smoking pits right?
Or would it be co located with smoking areas?

It depends on which province the base is located. For example in Winnipeg they are looking at building separate smoking area for cannabis consumers.

Colin P said:
Has DND and Canex considered the ramifications? Will Doritos now be kept as war stocks to ensure we don't run out at a critical time?

Yes. And Doritos will now be included in all IMPs and boxed lunches

Colin P said:
On our next deployment will Tim Hortons carry a line of THC products?

No.  The policy forbids use and /or possession while deployed outside of Canada

To be honest, I'm not excited to have guys I work with smoking pot. What I've seen in the past is that it's turned my smart friends stupid. I understand why the big brass was put under pressure to create these policies... But I don't think they should have. It seems almost exactly the way they treat alcohol, but that's apples to oranges.
THC stays in your system way longer and his a ton of lasting effects. It's really frustrating to me that people who use it at all are allowed in the CAF.

Navy_Pete said:
; looks like it's basically 8 hours from bottle to throttle the same as alcohol,

theprivate said:
It seems almost exactly the way they treat alcohol,

Not exactly,

mariomike said:
Like driving,

"Period of prohibition

Ultimately, whether we agree or disagree it is our responsibility to follow the direction that has been provided to us. I for one will not be partaking but that is a personal choice.

Back