• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camp Decision

Sgt_McWatt

Inactive
Reaction score
First off might I add that I put in apps for CLI's as well as Staff. So please don't begin to rip me up about how I wont get my exchange. My decision I have t make is that I want to go to camp. But my girlfried wants me to stay home. Even if I go as staff it would be unwise to bee seen with her (wouldn't  it?) I have never done staff before and Don't know all of the rules for professionalism exactly. Don't get me wrong I'm not stupid nor do I lack the common seance to know what to far is. However I just need to know. My major concern is she wants me to stay home and not go to camp. However I want to go. I know that the technical chance we break up and don't last forever are high. But why push it? I just need some advice. I think I will start to contact WO. Seamans @ blackdown and begin to harass her about be accepted. However I just need some encouragement/opinions on this matter.

Regards,

Do as you wish.  She is a girlfriend, many will come and go and camp is now.  If you choose not to go to camp you cannot turn back time.  If your girlfriend gets mad, you can always make up.  Why doesn't she want you to further your cadet expedience?  Your a little young to let someone your own age dictate what you do.  Make up your own mind on what you think is best for yourself.
If I had the choice, I would go to camp.  I usually spend two weeks of my holidays working at Blackdown and look forward to it every year.  I have made a lot of friends there.

I did once lose a girlfriend over this. It was my father who gave me the greatest advice: if love is worth staying, it will be there when you get back.

If she loves you, comrade, she will be there when you get back, and understand that your decision is a job that earns you money, a great experience, and one that does not come along every day.

I also did once stay home from a camp for a girl, which I have now discovered to be a bad move, but never-the-less, it is an option that is maybe in your best interest. Do what satisfies you on this one. :)

Even if I go as staff it would be unwise to bee seen with her (wouldn't  it?) I have never done staff before and Don't know all of the rules for professionalism exactly.

Are you saying she would be a cadet on course where you would be staff? There is nothing wrong with being seen with her, however; spending all your time with a course cadet would probably be frowned upon. You really need to watch how you interact, it is fine to be friends, but if it looks like more than that is going on then you will be in hot water. When I was a staff cadet WO in 2003 in Vernon, I had an issue with one of my Sgt's who kept hanging around his girlfriend from his home corps who was on course. It was obvious they were dating so I had to cut his contact off with her. Just make sure your smarter then he.

My major concern is she wants me to stay home and not go to camp. However I want to go. I know that the technical chance we break up and don't last forever are high. But why push it? I just need some advice.

As for the decision about whether or not to go to camp, that is something you will have to weigh the pros and cons. I myself have been in this situation, twice. I was doing CL in Vernon one summer while my bf was in Whitehorse doing CLI. Then the next summer I was in Vernon doing CLI, while he is at Rocky Mountain doing LD&C. I am going to be straight with you and admit those were 2 of the hardest summers for us. Obviously a pay phone cant call a pay phone, so we weren't able to talk for 6 weeks. We did write letters like crazy though, which sure helped. It may sound corny, but I am a firm believer of "if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be". We decided to spend those summers apart because it would help advance both of our cadet careers which we believed was more important. Sure we missed eachother, but it just made being back together way more worth while!

In the end you are going to have to make the decision based on how you feel, and what you think is best. I hope this helped.

First off .... if your girlfriend is a civilian, I don't see a problem in your girlfriend coming to visit, as long as your still doing your job.  Although its probably better to keep her away from your course cadets, perhaps around staff lines.  If your girlfriend is a course cadet then you need to seriously watch how you go about it, as your in a position of leadership.  Just as a heads up, staff cadets fratting with course cadets have both legal and disciplinary consequences.

If staff is something you want to do ... don't let your girlfriend stop you, especially at this stage in your life.  As most people have said, if it is a worthwhile relationship it will last through the summer.

Also from my experience, I don't suggest you "harass" WO Seamans, but rather inquire with her.

Thank you everyone, your advice has almost completely coinsided with what other people have said in person.

And Zedic, about WO. Seams yes that is what I meant not literal harass however call to find out about it.

Regards,

Back