• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can a reg force also be a reservist during the weekend

Ok, ok, I did not choose the correct wording :P

But you all know what I mean by difficult course, its still more challenging then anything I am doing right now. I guess that is all I want, a challenge for a change (crazy me, that is why I joined)

No offense to Clearance divers/ SAR tech etc, I know full well that they go through hell to earn that position!

PS Crying to a Padre/social worker/ MIR/ claim fake PTSD and all those little things is out of the question. I have some dignity and if I earn something, I will earn it through hard work, not complaining.

goinghomebroke said:
Ok, ok, I did not choose the correct wording :P

But you all know what I mean by difficult course, its still more challenging then anything I am doing right now. I guess that is all I want, a challenge for a change (crazy me, that is why I joined)

No offense to Clearance divers/ SAR tech etc, I know full well that they go through hell to earn that position!

PS Crying to a Padre/social worker/ MIR/ claim fake PTSD and all those little things is out of the question. I have some dignity and if I earn something, I will earn it through hard work, not complaining.

I have seen regular force members working with reserve units in their own time, same for Class B folks. It can be done, apparently.

As others have stated it can be done.  If you're willing to donate your time and both chains of comd have given the thumbs up then there shouldn't be an issue.  As long as your volunteering does not affect your tasks and responsibilities of where you're posted then why not?

It's not the same thing, but I have always stayed active in some form or another with my Regiment while on Class B.  I made certain that I had support from my employing unit and that my tasks there were not affected and it worked out well.

Courses are another matter entirely, but you never know what choices the gaining CO may make.

In the likelihood you ARE able to talk a reserve unit into letting you parade with them, that is you have some specific skillset that they can use the chances of you getting cool courses are still pretty slim in my opinion.

If the unit thinks that you're asking to parade with them because you want a jump course, for example, I can't see them taking you on.
There are plenty of unit members waiting for the jump course who will 'give back' to the unit more than you.

Canadian.Trucker said:
As others have stated it can be done.  If you're willing to donate your time and both chains of comd have given the thumbs up then there shouldn't be an issue.  As long as your volunteering does not affect your tasks and responsibilities of where you're posted then why not?

It's not the same thing, but I have always stayed active in some form or another with my Regiment while on Class B.  I made certain that I had support from my employing unit and that my tasks there were not affected and it worked out well.

Courses are another matter entirely, but you never know what choices the gaining CO may make.

Good points.

I would also strongly suggest that you work out some kind of arrangement where the reservist CO provides inoput to your PDR/PER process. I've seen some regular members volunteering, doing some fantastic work, but never being recognized appropriately for it.

Back