• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada 150th Anniversary of Confederation Medal

CCCB said:
I'm just acutely aware of a tradition being snuffed for what appears to be a political reason. 

I don't follow party politics, but it's nice to see someone started a new medal ( real or imaginary ) thread! Because the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread is stalled after only 23 pages.  :)

CCCB said:
It also bears mentioning that everything "buttons and bows" comes from a separate pot of money than boots (or the B fleet, or any number of our collective procurement ailments....), and is executed by a separate branch within the staff system.
Wrong.  CAF "buttons and bows" comes from vote 1 or vote 5 money; there is not a special appropriation from parliament for this.  If DND allocates money to a fashion project, that is money that DND could have allocated to operational equipment.  The project is also executed by the same staff who could be working on operational clothing (either introducing something new or averting the constant stock-out that seems to happen with in-service clothing).  DSSPM is the staff responsible for all clothing, PPE, individual kit, and "buttons and bows" for the entirety of the CAF. 

We'll likely be doing this all over again in a few(?) years with a Coronation Medal. ::)

recceguy said:
We'll likely be doing this all over again in a few(?) years with a Coronation Medal. ::)

Darn, gonna miss that one.  But of course there will not be enough to go around.

Start sucking up to your local MP or MPP. They each get 100 to hand out as baubles to their faithful.  ;D

recceguy said:
Start sucking up to your local MP or MPP. They each get 100 to hand out as baubles to their faithful.  ;D

Funny story, Bud Bird, PCon, my MP at the time was defeated a year later.  My neighbour, at the time, cleaned his building, she comes home with 2 125 medals that were in the trash of his office clean out.  She pawned them for 25 bucks each.  I guess he couldn't find enough people to like!

Fixed the political affiliation 

MEDALS should be given out for things like this.  Or this.

Earned thru some act, deed, sacrifice, something like that.

The "125 gong" and things like that aren't true medals (to most of us, at least, that I know).  We have a different name for them.

Shit-nickels.

The worst thing about shit-nickels?  If someone can get enough of them, when they're standing in DEU on Remembrance Day, things like that, Joe and Jane Public see them the same as someone wearing GCSs with 2 bars, a SWASM and a MMV, for example.  But the "gong wearer" might have on the 125, 2 of the QJs and a CD.  Add a "safe driving" pin and voila.  ^-^

I don't and won't have the biggest rack on any parade I'm ever on, but I'm proud to say I also won't be wearing anything like a 125 or hopefully, 150 gong.  If they do come out with them, give mine to Bieber or some kid who made a cool science project.

:2c:

jollyjacktar said:
Fair enough.  Personally, I don't feel the need for a meaningless "gimmie" medal for myself.
I agree.  A medal should be earned not randomly handed out. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

We should look at getting rid of the OMM then... seems more like an attaboy for being promoted to Colonel in a lot of cases.

I guess if you stick around long enough to make it to Col (for some - there are many out there I feel earned it), isn't that considered merit enough?

MM

PuckChaser said:
We should look at getting rid of the OMM then... seems more like an attaboy for being promoted to Colonel in a lot of cases.

No, the OMM has an important role -- I confess that I do enjoy it when the GG publicly strips membership of the order following a senior officer's court martial. It fills a role in my life that I suspect in a previous time would have been filled by attending public executions.

Ostrozac said:
No, the OMM has an important role -- I confess that I do enjoy it when the GG publicly strips membership of the order following a senior officer's court martial. It fills a role in my life that I suspect in a previous time would have been filled by attending public executions.

Yeah me too, I get that. 

Ostrozac said:
That's not a very good argument for keeping the OMM;  however, I can see it as justification for bringing back public executions.    :nod:

I've always heard guys I work(ed) with bitch about and/or make fun of the US Military for giving way too many ribbons and medals out for useless things. Wouldn't this kinda be the same, that Canada's giving out useless medals with no real meaning? I'm talking about Jubilee medals too, for example.

That, of course, if they were giving this medal out.

trigger said:
That, of course, if they were giving this medal out.

Got to admit, for an imaginary medal, this is turning into a pretty good thread!  :)

Attachments

• 56641956.jpg
    56641956.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 297
If I mount an imaginary medal on my rack and wear it on parade, is that a service offence?

Haggis said:
If I mount an imaginary medal on my rack and wear it on parade, is that a service offence?

Not if you wear it on the right breast.

[quote author=slayer/raptor ]

7 medals and not one of them a deployment one...plus the St-John commendations.
[/quote]

A bronze SSI, so more time at sea than a lot of folks in the navy. How much sea time you got there, pal?

MARS said:
A bronze SSI, so more time at sea than a lot of folks in the navy. How much sea time you got there, pal?

Just 410 days on two tours, one of them on a combat mission, in 8 years. Oh and all my countless days in the field being in the combat arms... I'm sorry the army doesn't give out badges for days out in the field.

And for the record, you turned this into a "us vs. them" pal. I merely pointed out someone who had 7 medals without one deployment.

slayer/raptor said:
I'm sorry the army doesn't give out badges for days out in the field.

Not days, only 8 hours out of 24 at sea or anchor counts. They also realized not enough bling went around on the first go for SSI issues, so they halved the requirements for them a year or so ago to make sure there was enough bling to go around.

You might have stumbled on the reason why the RCN wanted SSI. Bling to show deployments that aren't going to named Ops. They disregarded the fact that we don't normally award people medals for doing things like RIMPAC.

Back