• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

Ten weeks Max. That is what it is in real life and how long it took me to get my present job last Summer. It would have been quicker but Summer Vacations delayed final decisions.

Don't forget that the CAF probably gets hundreds of applications per week to filter versus civilian HR that gets probably 2-3 applications a month lol.

Ten weeks Max. That is what it is in real life and how long it took me to get my present job last Summer. It would have been quicker but Summer Vacations delayed final decisions.
You have to bear in mind that the CAF won't take people if the job they want isn't running training in a reasonable timeframe as well. We played that game in the early 2000s and some people waited years to get trained, and while waiting they tended to be administrative burdens because they were bored to tears.

There are things that need to be fixed/streamlined, but there also needs to be reasonable expectations.

You have to bear in mind that the CAF won't take people if the job they want isn't running training in a reasonable timeframe as well. We played that game in the early 2000s and some people waited years to get trained, and while waiting they tended to be administrative burdens because they were bored to tears.

There are things that need to be fixed/streamlined, but there also needs to be reasonable expectations.

Imagine running hiring processes for only the positions you have vacant... why does the CAF insist on re-inventing the wheel?

Don't forget that the CAF probably gets hundreds of applications per week to filter versus civilian HR that gets probably 2-3 applications a month lol.

Our problems are not unique to Canada.

The British Army wants to relax security checks for recruits from overseas to boost diversity and inclusion, The Telegraph can reveal.

Britain’s armed forces have consistently failed to hit recruitment targets and are looking overseas to boost ethnic minority representation, which currently stands at 14 per cent of the regular army.

A document leaked to this paper, titled The British Army’s Race Action Plan, notes that the Army “struggles to attract talent from ethnic minority backgrounds into the officer corps”.

Published in March 2023 and understood to be the latest guidance, it outlines a series of “actions” to boost representation and describes security clearance vetting as being “the primary barrier to non-UK personnel gaining a commission in the Army”.

The UK Minister of Defence, Grant Schapps, who is Jewish, is also taking a dim view of removing Christianity from military services, including Remembrance.

Imagine running hiring processes for only the positions you have vacant... why does the CAF insist on re-inventing the wheel?
The CAF already does that, but you don't see it until you've gone into the recruiting center, indicated your interest, and done the testing to confirm you are a match for the occupation you want that is available(or not).

How many "my application took three years" stories are for people who walked in, talked to a recruiter, asked for a job we weren't hiring for, and/or failed to provide the required documents?

Again, I'm not saying we are doing it right, but looking at how "Bob's Lumber" hires an already qualified person off the street isn't a useful comparison either.

You mean the square block doesn't fit in every hole? Say it ain't so!
All you need is the right size hammer.
square-peg-in-a-round-hole-with-hammer.jpg

Senior Conservative MPs say that people should not misinterpret the lack of security statements, policy positions and opposition motions as a lack of commitment. Rather, they say, it is because of the leader’s focus on the carbon tax, housing issues, crime, and balancing the budget, which Poilievre thinks will win him the election.

I don't think there is a push from the Canadian public to meet the 2% target, even PP knows this. The CAF won't see too many changes if the CPC gets their majority. There are far bigger issues in this country right now.

I don't think there is a push from the Canadian public to meet the 2% target, even PP knows this. The CAF won't see too many changes if the CPC gets their majority. There are far bigger issues in this country right now.
Well the whole Country better prepare for a possible Trump re election. The Free trade agreement is coming up for renewal. Canadian business will gladly change their tune on a 2% Defence spend if the American market is cut off.

Sadly your right, that is if international affairs lets us worry about domestic problems......

Canada needs to get it's fiscal house in order before huge amounts of new spending is introduced.... or cut some where...

Energy production and export, LNG specifically, would have put this country in a good place to be a real middle power... but alas, there is no market for LNG so says the LPC.

Public Service has hiring down to a mere 6-12 months.......

But it's such an awesome career it must be worth the wait... oh, what's this? ;)

Since at least the 1960s, clerks of the Privy Council, auditors general, public administration researchers and government-led reform initiatives have criticized the federal public service for its dizzying and ineffective array of internal rules and processes, information-hoarding, limited collaboration and weak public engagement. Executives are regularly accused of suffering from extreme and misplaced risk aversion, coupled with a crippling fear of external scrutiny. Onerous reporting requirements and dense hierarchical chains of approval have proliferated in a culture that prioritizes accountability for process, as opposed to accountability for outcomes. This stifles creativity and renders it nearly impossible to keep pace with the needs of working-level public servants and public service users alike.

Don't be so sure. I ran a job competition for the Government of Ontario last year for a Senior Procurement Advisor and had 158 applications. Only 25 or so were actually qualified to do the work. That being said, taking longer than 4 months to bring someone on board is way too long.

Don't be so sure. I ran a job competition for the Government of Ontario last year for a Senior Procurement Advisor and had 158 applications. Only 25 or so were actually qualified to do the work. That being said, taking longer than 4 months to bring someone on board is way too long.

I think 4 months is a reasonable limit for a complicated hire. If an organization can't hire in 4 months or less, it really does not have it's shit together. It's a mess and needs complete overhaul.

I think 4 months is a reasonable limit for a complicated hire. If an organization can't hire in 4 months or less, it really does not have it's shit together. It's a mess and needs complete overhaul.
Some background investigations will take a fair bit depending on what level is required and the applicant's origin or travel histories.
Down here a lot of job's require clearances upfront as they cannot wait for 6 months for the person to get a TS, nor the 2 year wait for an SCI after the TS is granted.

Some background investigations will take a fair bit depending on what level is required and the applicant's origin or travel histories.
Down here a lot of job's require clearances upfront as they cannot wait for 6 months for the person to get a TS, nor the 2 year wait for an SCI after the TS is granted.
Almost everyone joining the CAF can get by without a clearance for the first year+. Very little risk is assumed in hiring without a completed clearance for 90% of jobs, but a mechanism should be in place to turf someone who can't eventually obtain a clearance.

I fully agree.
To add more if a job process becomes to long a person will loose interest and or has to pay the bills and gets another job offer, (don't kid yourself the military is a job offer at first, then becomes a way of life afterwards). We can say they didn't really want the job. or it shows their lack of dedication if they did not wait. I would choose a home and food on the table over waiting for that call from the CF recruiter that might come tomorrow or in a years time.
The RCMP has started to change their recruiting process for the better in regards to time lines. Which keeps people informed and with shortened time lines.
Well the whole Country better prepare for a possible Trump re election. The Free trade agreement is coming up for renewal. Canadian business will gladly change their tune on a 2% Defence spend if the American market is cut off.
The US needs us as much or more then we need them for trade. That includes everything from natural resources, to high end tech companies.
The CAF already does that, but you don't see it until you've gone into the recruiting center, indicated your interest, and done the testing to confirm you are a match for the occupation you want that is available(or not).

How many "my application took three years" stories are for people who walked in, talked to a recruiter, asked for a job we weren't hiring for, and/or failed to provide the required documents?
How many of those provided the proper documents, only to have their file put on the bottom of the pile for various reasons.
Or the recruiter tries the why don't you go infantry or armored because that is where the sever shortage is? So the person goes home to think about it and their file ends up at the bottom of the pile.
Lots of files use to get "misplaced" years ago... not sure how the new electronic system works.
Again, I'm not saying we are doing it right, but looking at how "Bob's Lumber" hires an already qualified person off the street isn't a useful comparison either.
Why not.
Why can the the CF not hire a Heavy Duty Mechanic off the street into a Mechanics job in the CF?
Or a plumber or a pilot or what not.
It is funny you say this.
Many companies get hundreds of applications per week if not day depending on the season and employment rates. They have to go through each application looking for specific skill sets and in some cases perform background checks. They usually have four to six people working HR in the office and they also hit the road for recruiting events and perform online job fairs.

The CF is as streamlined as a prodded bull in a crowded fine china shop

Back