• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, etc. (merged)

Just posting here since this is the most train related thread?

Another train derailment. 2nd in 2 days, this one's. In BC (I've read that a "source" claimed something was put on the track but it's unconfirmed)

12 train derailments since December. Are train derailments that common?

Jarnhamar said:

Another train derailment. 2nd in 2 days, this one's. In BC (I've read that a "source" claimed something was put on the track but it's unconfirmed)

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/stats/rail/2018/sser-ssro-2018.html

Only 8% result in derailment

MilEME09 said:
https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/stats/rail/2018/sser-ssro-2018.html

Only 8% result in derailment

Very interesting..

Jarnhamar said:

Were did you get that figure from? 12 derailments since december in BC alone??? If you count non-main track and private industries that have yard goats or use cables.. then 12 since December in BC north makes sense (yes exaggerating a little).

In my 3 years of being employed by CNR... in the 219.20 miles from smithers to Prince rupert. Counting DP Intermodal port, Prince rupert grain, RTI coal, pinnacle pellets and the multiple different mills...

I have heard of, been involved in or seen.. one sec need to count..
2 in 2017 from nov to end of year..
3 from DP world
2 from RTI
2 from the port (Alaska barge, pinnacle, raymont etc)
1 from 2020
PRG had an incident too while kicking too
so 11 derailments just off the top of my head... just on our west run only including industries and port. So fourty percent? Chance of seeing a derailment each month on our west run? This only counting what I remember of the top of my head or have heard of.. very good chance I've missed a bunch of minor ones like a car derailing, but able to re-rail using a unit etc.

Again this is no way an authoritative list and should not be used as fact (in fact if CN is watching ^^ none of these were CNs fault lol)
Abdullah

Thanks I was hoping you would chime in.

It looked like 12 derailments Canada wide since December, 3 in BC.

Jarnhamar said:
Thanks I was hoping you would chime in.

It looked like 12 derailments Canada wide since December, 3 in BC.

Yeah, I have severe reservations regarding the honesty of those statistics. I personally feel.. however rightly or wrongly the number of derailments is much higher.

I can only speak to CN and CP.. brother in law is a track maintenance foreman for CP. BNSF, SRY and a wack load of other short lines or class ones that do not have a lot of track in Canada.. I know nothing about.

I personally suspect, that reporting of derailments is not always.. shall I say "required". So transport Canada has a very.. limited view of the situation. My time and my chats with my brother in law, who has much more seniority on railroads then I do, has led me to this belief. Take as you will, I could be wrong.

But as a neat aside, transport Canada has been showing up and doing random ride alongs this year.. quite interesting occurence I think.

Abdullah

Czech_pivo said:
Possibly - but I'd be willing to bet that the weather over the last 2 days has alot to do with it.  Wait until Monday-Tuesday when its above 0c again.
And the last blockade is down, no bloodshed.  These thing tend to run out of steam when denied oxygen.

Good2Golf said:
The NDA (specifically Sect. 277) and QR&O (23.04) disagree with you.

Curious as to what legislation counters this Direct request from AG to CDS?

Regards
G2G
I'm not arguing with what the regulations may say, I'm only putting it out there on how things actually occur. There were two occurrences this summer in which we assisted law enforcement officials, and the process used was as I stated. As mentioned by Haggis, the RCMP is the organization responsible to respond before the CAF. When they can't fulfill a request, their Minister (MPS) makes the request to us. And, let us not forget, that in this day and age, every response is a political response first and foremost. Even when a request is within his lanes as per regulation, there must always be a review by those organizations that are concerned about the political and legal ramifications of acting.

AbdullahD said:
Y
But as a neat aside, transport Canada has been showing up and doing random ride alongs this year.. quite interesting occurence I think.

Abdullah

Yea I found Surface group was just a tad to "close" to the rail companies, that was changing near the end of my career, i think some more forceful leadership was needed.

Altair said:
And the last blockade is down, no bloodshed.  These thing tend to run out of steam when denied oxygen.

You rekon the RCMP are going to go after those AK47 assault rifles on the reserve/s in Quebec now?

not likely.  They are too busy confiscating 22's from farmers that have them tucked up behind the stove

AbdullahD said:
In my 3 years of being employed by CNR... in the 219.20 miles from smithers to Prince rupert. Counting DP Intermodal port, Prince rupert grain, RTI coal, pinnacle pellets and the multiple different mills...

I have heard of, been involved in or seen.. one sec need to count..
2 in 2017 from nov to end of year..
3 from DP world
2 from RTI
2 from the port (Alaska barge, pinnacle, raymont etc)
1 from 2020
PRG had an incident too while kicking too
so 11 derailments just off the top of my head... just on our west run only including industries and port. So fourty percent? Chance of seeing a derailment each month on our west run? This only counting what I remember of the top of my head or have heard of.. very good chance I've missed a bunch of minor ones like a car derailing, but able to re-rail using a unit etc.

Again this is no way an authoritative list and should not be used as fact (in fact if CN is watching ^^ none of these were CNs fault lol)
Abdullah

Derailment. I bet when the crew calls it in over the radio it's, "We're on the ground!!!"

Abdullah, I hope you stay safe, and enjoy your career.

Attachments

• hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 82
I was contracting to CP a few years back on a weed sprayer. I was siting on a track in the main Winnipeg yard when the cars on the next track being moved for me derailed. I sat there for  20 seconds watching as the cars jumped the tracks and took out both the north and south CP tracks through Winnipeg cutting the country in half. Took them 2 hours to get trains moving as only other options was sending trains through Chicago. It’s very humbling to watch a derailment happen 3 feet away.

captloadie said:
I'm not arguing with what the regulations may say, I'm only putting it out there on how things actually occur. There were two occurrences this summer in which we assisted law enforcement officials, and the process used was as I stated. As mentioned by Haggis, the RCMP is the organization responsible to respond before the CAF. When they can't fulfill a request, their Minister (MPS) makes the request to us. And, let us not forget, that in this day and age, every response is a political response first and foremost. Even when a request is within his lanes as per regulation, there must always be a review by those organizations that are concerned about the political and legal ramifications of acting.

I get, trust me. Past CDS SA and I have more than a few coffees together in 101’s cafeteria and muse about how life would be so much better I f it was so simpler...

#TheoryVsPractice

:nod:

Jarnhamar said:
You reckon the RCMP are going to go after those AK47 assault rifles on the reserve/s in Quebec now?

First, the RCMP are not the police of criminal jurisdiction on those reserves.  It's either the local police (i.e. Kahnawake Peacekeepers, Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service) or OPP/SQ, if summoned.

Second, they didn't go after them in 1990 - 1994, so why now?

Third, are you going to execute a raid based on the word of a politician? Last time that happened, there were no WMDs found in Iraq.

Haggis said:
First, the RCMP are not the police of criminal jurisdiction on those reserves.  It's either the local police (i.e. Kahnawake Peacekeepers, Akwesasne Mohawk Police Service) or OPP/SQ, if summoned.

Second, they didn't go after them in 1990 - 1994, so why now?

Third, are you going to execute a raid based on the word of a politician? Last time that happened, there were no WMDs found in Iraq.

Fourth, if there were AK-47s on site, they're already back across the river on the New York side.

I get the feeling like the focus on the supposed AK47s was a trap/deflection.

One of those times that Altair correctly predicts the course of events and the conversations immediately switches to assault rifles as opposed to the peaceful end of the rail blockades across canada.

Altair said:
I get the feeling like the focus on the supposed AK47s was a trap/deflection.

One of those times that Altair correctly predicts the course of events and the conversations immediately switches to assault rifles as opposed to the peaceful end of the rail blockades across canada.

Less of a deflection and more using you as a soundboard to point out hypocrisy among the governments anti-gun platform.

So all the blockaids are down now?

Back