• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

Iā€™m not suggesting a Gepard - but a more armored version
Diminishing returns in terms of armour. You can make it infinitely more expensive in terms of armour, make it as solid as a Chally if you want, but a well placed ATGM will still kill. Further more, tough to armour a radar, as long as you can sensor kill it, it may as well be dead. I think the A ech is the perfect hedge for the squadron AD.

Also demostrator tanks often have a lot of stuff bolted to them that never makes it to production. Who is going load that 30mm? clear jams, etc. Not to mention overwhelm the crew with tasks. Getting rid of it will likley drop the weight below 60 tons
Certainly would require something since there's no coax haha. Silly design if you ask me. The Gnr/comd should have a coax 7.62 and there should be a fourth crewman who is the air sentry and manning a distinct AD RWS. Give the comd a screen to give fire control orders.

Certainly would require something since there's no coax haha. Silly design if you ask me. The Gnr/comd should have a coax 7.62 and there should be a fourth crewman who is the air sentry and manning a distinct AD RWS. Give the comd a screen to give fire control orders.
I think all EMBT/KF51/ARC 3.0 are all planned on having a 30mm RWS/Trophy and a coax

Diminishing returns in terms of armour. You can make it infinitely more expensive in terms of armour, make it as solid as a Chally if you want, but a well placed ATGM will still kill. Further more, tough to armour a radar, as long as you can sensor kill it, it may as well be dead. I think the A ech is the perfect hedge for the squadron AD.
The Gepard turret is where I was thinking for more armor - the radar can be extremely more low pro - as well as taking linked feeds.

I donā€™t see the Gepard type setup as an Air Defense system at least in the Anti Aircraft sense beyond point defense. But the guns give exceptional capabilities for C-RAM and C-UAS.

Iā€™m fairly confident that the current crop of APS are not going to do much.

Putting your Gepard in a tank fight is a good way to get your Gepard killed. The furthest forward I want that is ideally the A1 or A2 Ech. Put them in the F Ech and the first thing I shoot is the box with the big spinny thing...then unleash the drones. One bound to the rear would provide ample radar coverage for the FEBA.

That said, armoured regiments most certainly need internal EW and AD. A Gepard is good example of what should be attached to the SHQ.

Edit: Speak of the devil, Son of Gepard, equipped with the Skyranger 35 with AHEAD.

The folks over at the War Zone also have an article that looks at experiments by Rheinmetall in mounting the Skyranger 35 on older Leopard 1 hulls:

Interesting Support Squadron - 8x AMOS/MJollnir and 12-16 Skyrangers - mount on Leo1s or CV90s.

Interesting Support Squadron - 8x AMOS/MJollnir and 12-16 Skyrangers - mount on Leo1s or CV90s.
Sounds similar the Staff & Support Company of a Swedish Mechanized Battalion which contains:
  • 2 x Mortar Platoons each with 4 x Mjollnir (CV-90 with 2 x 120mm mortars)
  • AA Platoon with 4 x Lvkv 9040 SP AD vehicles (CV-90 with 40mm autocannon and PS-95 radar)

Here are the reasons I am dubious about the viability of the current "tool kit".

ā€œThe experiences from recent crises and wars, in addition to the obvious postponement of the main Ground Combat System Program [MGCS], creates the necessity to set up an additional medium-term solution,ā€ Bjoern Bernhard, Managing Director of Rheinmetall Landsysteme, said today at the unveiling here at Eurosatory in Paris.

ā€œWe see that the MGCS is not getting ahead like it was thought to be,ā€ he later told reporters. ā€œSo, I can tell you right in the beginning, the MGCS was thought to be introduced in 2035 and with a small look on the calendar, I can tell you that is only 10 years to go for an extremely complex system.ā€

Today, Bernhard said the CUT is still in the ā€œearlyā€ side of development, but if a customer is interested and ready to invest, the company could have it ready for the field in the early 2030s.

Rheinmetallā€™s announcement comes as questions linger about the health of the MGCS program. The Franco-German project was first launched in 2017 to develop a commonly designed next-generation European main battle tank to succeed French Army Leclerc and German Leopard 2 vehicles, with entry of service originally planned for 2035. SĆ©bastien Lecornu, Franceā€™s defense minister, has since suggested between 2040-2045 stands as a more realistic timetable.

This is 2024. Ukrainians and Russians are dying today. Tanks, guns, ships and aircraft are dying as fast. And they are not being replaced. Even the ones that are planned are being planned for in very low numbers at very high costs with deliveries for the next generation of soldiers and sailors.

To my mind that suggests a gap during which wars will be fought with "other things".

The folks over at the War Zone also have an article that looks at experiments by Rheinmetall in mounting the Skyranger 35 on older Leopard 1 hulls:

Too bad we keep cutting our old kit up or turning it into monuments or range targets.

:cool:

There's used to be a A couple of fields in Belgium and Germany where you could find literally hundreds of Leo1s . They'd been sitting there for decades.
Most of which were in better material shape the C1 and C2 Leo's.
The surviving 66 or so tanks were in really rough shape or so I'm told .
I suspect most of those European field dwellers are either off to Ukraine or a scrap heap depending on condition.

Weight is the big issue according to this interview

He is missing the one point that the major weight increases occurred during the times of Gulf War 1 and GWOT. The NATO current gen tanks all had their genesis from the Cold War and those earlier versions where all sub 60t
M1 Abrams
Leopard 2
Challenger I
The armor etc upgrades came after concerns about West Germany were gone - and fighting in the desert was the big issue - where the weight wasn't as big an issue --

But other than that it is a very good article.

Even Germany had problems with bogging down. The problem with farmlands that are loamy is that the low spots retain water more than the high spots - especially in the spring. For very practical reasons, tracked vehicles want to manoeuvre through the low grown so as to stay hull or turret down. Sometimes that bites you in the ass.

You can compensate to a point with track width - in fact the track ground pressure of the lighter Leo 1 (0.86 kg/cm2) isn't much different from that of the Leo 2 (0.89 kg/cm2) or the Challenger 2 (0.9 kg/cm2) but the M1A2 goes up to 1.09 kg/cm2. Its forerunner, the M60, was at 0.77 kg/cm2. Interestingly , T72, T80 and T90s come in at around 0.89, 0.92 and 0.94 kg/cm2 respectively. Not much difference there.

Training plays a big role here. The bridge issue, on the other hand, is a real limitation as it deals with raw weight rather than ground pressure.

šŸ»

Back