• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Armed Forces in video games (or the lack thereof)

chrism

Inactive
Reaction score
Why is it that no mainstream "modern warfare" type shooter games feature any Canadian soldiers? Discuss.

Also, just found this link while stumbling. Apparently "Medal of Honor: Warfighter," the new version of Medal of Honor still in the making, is set to possibly feature JTF2.

http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2012/04/12/medal-of-honor-warfighter-gives-nod-to-canadian-special-forces-unit-jtf-2-and-hopefully-a-whole-lot-more/

chrism said:
Why is it that no mainstream "modern warfare" type shooter games feature any Canadian soldiers? Discuss.

Who cares. Discuss.

The US Military appears in a lot of books, movies, media etc and the game industry see's money there.  Lot of people see/hear about Navy SEALs, Rangers, Delta, Force Recon, SAS, etc and think they are the **** and want to play games about them.  They are all well known.  Look at pictures of airsofters in Asia and Europe,  lots of them pretend to be Americans,  very little pretend to be Canadian. 

Also,  MOH:Warfighter will have JTF2 and other international SOF units as a playable character(?) in multiplayer,  not sure if they will appear in single player or not.  Canadians have appeared in some video games though,  but never in as big a role as Americans or British.

CTC ASC Cell has created Canadian skins for SWAT4 and some training missions before VBS was forced on the CF.  I care too, they are viable training tools as has been proven with VBS.  As a member of ASC Cell when it was called Distributed Learning, we did alot of ground work to give the Army exposure to Shooters as training tools.  Anyone who wants to deliver quality training without the waste of ammunition, environmental and hard assets would care. 

We don't like to expose our CANSOFCOM to the media as much. The British SAS was hush hush, pretty much, until the Iranian Embassy siege. It was all caught on TV, then every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to join the SAS. It made them in the spot light around the world. As for the US military, their special forces are huge in numbers that could equal to full Regiments if they followed that route. So they get a lot of media attention, unlike CANSOFCOM. Our CANSOFCOM, has a job to do. And they do it well, without thumping their chest, like other SOF units.

Also many of these video games are made in the states with the US being one of if not the biggest market.

Macey said:
Our CANSOFCOM, has a job to do. And they do it well, without thumping their chest, like other SOF units.

USSOCOM forces have a job to do too,  and they do it well also. I assume the majority couldn't care less about showing off or being in the media.  Higher ups have deemed they want certain things to be in the public.  General knowledge of what they do,  helps recruiting as well.  Good PR, etc. 

CANSOFCOM units have had a number of news articles, pictures and video shown about them(mainly CSOR),  and internet sites.  CSOR has a youtube channel(dunno if they still do) that has a video showing off different things the Regiment does.

One of the Call of Duty games, 4 I think, has some levels where you play as a Canadian in WWII.  That is the only reason why I own it.  I will admit I am tempted by another Call of Duty game where John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Fidel Castro and Robert McNamara fight unending hordes of zombies, but thats a different discussion.

chrism said:

Also, just found this link while stumbling. Apparently "Medal of Honor: Warfighter," the new version of Medal of Honor still in the making, is set to possibly feature JTF2.

http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2012/04/12/medal-of-honor-warfighter-gives-nod-to-canadian-special-forces-unit-jtf-2-and-hopefully-a-whole-lot-more/

Rainbow Six had CF personnel involved. And in Vegas 2, woodland CADPAT can be chosen for you own character+allies.

FlyingDutchman said:
One of the Call of Duty games, 4 I think, has some levels where you play as a Canadian in WWII.  That is the only reason why I own it.  I will admit I am tempted by another Call of Duty game where John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, Fidel Castro and Robert McNamara fight unending hordes of zombies, but thats a different discussion.

Black OPs.  Get it.  Just for that.

Canada shall be represented as one of NATO's armies in the upcoming Wargame: AirLand Battle.
The setting being a Soviet invasion of Norway in 1985, the 5 CMBG will be included.

Here's a screenshot/wallpaper from the CF-116:
wallpapercanadairff.png

Full size here:
http://imageshack.us/a/img801/1372/wallpapercanadairff.png

Well now you've given me something else to add to the video game repertoire.  This is bad news for the wife.

Battlefield 2: Project Reality has Canadian Forces in two arenas (with multiple maps/objectives for each) I believe.

With the shutdown of BF2 by EA last year the PR mod was able to become a stand-alone release with no requirement of owning BF2. I've only been able to spend a few minutes playing PR, but from everything I've read/seen/heard it is a fantastic game, and the only FPS many people will even consider playing. Disciplined teamwork and no-nonsense comms are an absolute must.

3rd Canadian Infantry Division will be featured as a playable division in the upcoming Steel Division - Normandy '44 strategy game.
http://www.steeldivisiongame.com/

Didn't know this thread existed or I would have posted sooner:

In the new Ghost Recon game "Wildlands" (which is kind of a mix of GTA and a FPS) you can customize your character (uniform, chest rig, Frag vest, even backpack!) in CADPAT TW and CADPAT AR. And its not like Rainbow Six Vegas where the CADPAT looked nothing alike the real one. Also, I think 5.11 paid a significant amount of money since a lot of their gear is available, same with Oakley. Awesome game nonetheless.

There was once a game called "Operation Flashpoint" that someone did a full Canadian Mod for.

I had it installed once upon a time.

Back