• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Army Reading List- 11+ Years Of Suggestions and Ideas

Also if you‘re intrested in Armoured Regiments there are 2 very good books id recomend. They are The Royal Canadian Armoured Corps: An Illustrated History and The Governor General‘s Horse Guards: Second to None both by John Marteinson

what about ‘Eat Your Weakest Man‘? i‘ve heard about it, but never got around to reading it, is it any good?

I know, I know.....I‘ve already said this in other posts, but I just can‘t help myself!

Canada‘s Secret Commandos- fiction. Not even good fiction. The few actual facts in it are so out of context that they don‘t even make sense. Read it if you like, but it‘s much like trying to keep up on world events by reading the National Enquirer....

The Sharp End- Those of us who have served with Jim Davis, and were there for his various "exploits" get a good laugh out of that book. Highly embellished to say the least. I‘ve no big problem with that, he‘s out to sell books just like any author. Just read it with a good dose of skepticism....

If you want a good book on Somalia read "Eat your weakest man" by Rui Amarol he‘s was a 2 Cdo WO there (and an excellent soldier and leader). It‘s written more for those soldiers who were there, and would certainly be difficult to for someone unfamilliar with military slang and the military culture to understand...and Rui won‘t be winning any pullitzers, but that‘s not what he wanted to do. He just wanted to give his side of the Somalia story and he succeeded.

Here‘s a tip from me for buying Canadian Military History books online. If you go to Amazon.ca, you‘ll see a fine selection of books to choose from. Some of the older books, which tend to be the best ones to buy, aren‘t even available. I‘ve tried three times to get some of the older books (from the late 1990s, one was even from 2000), and Amazon couldn‘t get them for me. That place in my experience is a waste of time to try to buy books from. Best for you to check a place like E-Bay

I‘ve had success tracking down ‘older‘ volumes through the on-line second hand book systems such as abebooks and alibris. You can find links to them from my website‘s links page at http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/roguelinks.htm

Mike

Speaking of Canadian authors didn‘t scott taylor have something like 4 years experience in the military (give or take) and he‘s often quoted as an expert on the canadian military or something?

Ghost, has it occurred to you that the world‘s leading military historians have never served a day in their life, or if they did, in a very limited capacity?

David Bercuson, Stephen Ambrose, Daniel Dancocks, Michael Howard, et al - representing the most prolific and the most highly respected military historians - weren‘t actually soldiers.

Who‘da thunk it, eh buddy?

No michael it has not. In order to know anything about the military you just HAVE to spend time in the army. Not even the navy or airforce. Just army. Just infantry too. only infantry. And then only if your a private or corporal.

All sarcasim aside, buddy, if you reread my post you will infact take notice, with my prompting, that no where do i mention historians or their involvement in the military. I know your some kind of history buff and i really respect that, i loved history in highschool and i really enjoy reading it now but please don‘t put words in my mouth its rude and i would say quite unbecomming of an educated person.

I guess someone can be a great historian from sitting down and reading books be they military or not but in my humble opinion to be an ‘expert‘ on the current military someone should spend more then 4 years (or whatever it was) in the military (And also by all accounts not be a bag of hammers)

I

There is a difference between the study of historical facts and the knowledge of the current situation of Army personnel. Historians are just that, and their knowledge comes from the study of official history and interviews with some who were there. And then some of us don‘t know as much about the past, but know what it is to stare down a barrel, to go to ground because you really have to... some of us know the world has changed, and so did our missions. I think this is what Ghost was trying to get to. Taylor is a journalist, just like any other journalist except he is Infantry QL-3 qual‘d. :cdn:

Jungle and Ghost - you make a fine distinction between historians and journalists, and I agree. I also agree that military experience is a "nice-to-have" when regarding those who discuss the military. This group includes not just historians, not just journalists, but extends to a wide range of consultants, politicians (ugh), lobbyists, etc., all of whom have a vested interest.

Don‘t exactly agree 100%, but found this little quote yesterday. Might fit here.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy
can only take your life. It is far
better that you fear the media,
for they will steal your HONOR.

I am reading Fortunes Warriors by James Davis right now it‘s about his career in CP(Close Protection) corporate security world after leaving the Forces. I am not very far into it yet but so far a very good read.

I am looking for a copy of The Sharp End by the same author noted above, as it has been recommended to me several times. Same problem though can‘t find it in stores will have to order online.

I liked Ortona. Also all of Blackburn‘s (I think) books. Guns of Normandy, Guns of Victory(?), Where the **** are the Guns?. Sorry for the hesitation, but they are not all in front of me. Packed away in the garage actually, for the time being. Those books are great, even for non-Gunners, though there are some big words in them... :D

I would personaly recommend reading "Vimy" by Pierre Berton if you want a good Canadian WW1 book.

Hello,

I‘ve recently heard talk of a list of books that the army has compiled that they suggest you read for "professional development". Does anyone know where this list is posted, or can anyone tell me what‘s on this list?

Thanks for any help.

Hey Olive,
Here‘s a link to a .pdf file on the Army Electronic Library page.

Army Reading List, A Guide to Professional Reading:

http://armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/Reading_list/ARL_v1_sept2001_e.pdf

Cheers.

That is a good list, there are lots of books on there. The book I‘m reading at the moment is called "Attacks" by Field Marshel Rommel. It is a good book, I am surprised I didn‘t see it on the list. Has anyone else read this book?

Theres a canteen suggestion book inside the RCD canteen. It makes for very good reading heh

Also don‘t forget that most Unit‘s have Libraries
and you can sign out any publication from your Unit.

Back