• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Automated Pilot Selection System (CAPSS)

congrats on climbing the first hump - about 30 to go :salute:

foxtwo said:
The minimum age for ACS is 16 or 17. Can't find it...

and you probably won't but think if it this way - whatever the age is now to graduate HS since you will have to earn a degree.

Good luck.

Hello all,

I'm new to this whole message board system, but one of my friends thats already enrolled refered me here for some good information regarding pretty much anything........

I'm heading to ASC the middle of this coming January, and believe me I've done my homework on the selection center itself, and actually preparing for the capss tests.....plus it helps that one of the guy's in my program @ school just finished ASC last month.....so I think I might have some "insider" information for all those of us that are stressing the process.........

Firstly, from reading on the boards here I get the feeling that a lot of the guys heading to ASC are really stressing it.........some threads concerning guys buying all this high tech equipment and flight simulator things for their cpus........frankly....it seems to me as many of the experienced guys here seem to be stating (and by the way i am by no means experienced but just offering my insight to the issue)......that we're overthinking and worrying about it all. From what I've been told, the selection center is more about aptitude that you're ability to actually fly. I mean its great if you have prior experience and can perform the maneuvers they ask of you all in one motion, but its really more about you're learning ability.

They want to see how fast you can pick up and learn what is expected of you. The system itself evaluates you're flying performance, but even moreso how much you progress throughout you're time at the center. Besides, thinking logically, it wouldn't make much sense that the airforce advertises that you do not need prior flight experience and then expect guys to perform all these maneuvers perfectly the first time they step in the simulator. They expect you to do you're best and learn what you need to perform quickly.

What it comes down to is aptitude in terms of being a military pilot, and either you have it or you don't. Sure maybe a couple of hours on a simulator won't hurt, but from what I've heard its not worth overstressing. Study the blue book they give you, and try to perform the tasks as accurately as you can. There are many threads regarding cross checks and factors of that sort, so I'm not going to get into that, you can find pretty much everything you need on these forums it seems...I just wanted to offer my 2 cents because there seem to be a lot of threads started with people asking about ASC, and they seem to be getting shut down by frustrated members who have repeated themselves 1M times.

I do have one question for anyone who might have knowledge regarding the actual selection of the 55 candidates for rotp pilot, and it is; If you make it past ASC and pass the medicals in toronto, what are the main factors that contribute to you being chosen for the position? I mean I'm sure they look at the big picture in terms of the application, but does anyone know if they weight certain aspects of an application more heavily than others..?...ie. academic grades, physical fitness, work experience, interview score, ect.? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I will be going through the process in the coming months. Thanks again guys.

-Russ

High CFAT score, very good academic results and a very good interview score all help to get selected.

Hi everybody,
I'm new in this forum!
I want to know if we failed the Capss at Trenton, can you still be a millitary pilot or you have to take an other job?
Thanks!
:salute:

Mark B said:
Hi everybody,
I'm new in this forum!
I want to know if we failed the Capss at Trenton, can you still be a millitary pilot or you have to take an other job?
Thanks!
:salute:

Just passing CAPSS, does not guarantee you a job. 

SHOULD you be selected to be an officer in the military, and you fail CAPSS, you will either have to take another trade for the time being, and VOT after, or turn down your offer and try again next year. 

Either way, you will be required to get one licence class furthur in you piloting career (eg. no experience => pvt. pilots licence)

Quag said:
Just passing CAPSS, does not guarantee you a job. 

SHOULD you be selected to be an officer in the military, and you fail CAPSS, you will either have to take another trade for the time being, and VOT after, or turn down your offer and try again next year. 

Either way, you will be required to get one licence class furthur in you piloting career (eg. no experience => pvt. pilots licence)

Ok... with a private pilot licence, are you almost sure that you will pass the capss at the second time?
Because I think a private licence cost 8000 $.  :-\
Also, if you take a pvt. licence, would you be exented of the first millitary pilot course (before on Harvard II) ?

Mark B said:
Ok... with a private pilot licence, are you almost sure that you will pass the capss at the second time?
There are no guarantees that you will pass the second time.
Also, if you take a pvt. licence, would you be exented of the first millitary pilot course (before on Harvard II) ?
I believe that you are trying to ask if you are exempted any flight training with a PPL - the answer is "no".  There are no training exemptions apart from graduates from a recognized flying college.

Zoomie said:
There are no guarantees that you will pass the second time.I believe that you are trying to ask if you are exempted any flight training with a PPL - the answer is "no".  There are no training exemptions apart from graduates from a recognized flying college.
Yeah! That's what I wanted to know!! Thanks very much!  :D

So looking at all the posts here, Iv got a few questions for everybody.

1) There are simulator tests and math-like tests for air nav. If you are going pilot, then your score on the 'air nav tests' dont matter? Some people are posting saying they passed ACS but failed the air nav part (and obviously passed anyways).
2) Does the simulator control via a stick or a yoke? Everybody seems to want to go buy a yoke, but someone posted saying to fly it with your left hand on your leg (which you cant do with a yoke, can you?)
3) What do the pedals do? Yaw? Or throttle?
4) If you do porly on your first flight and then rapidly improve, can that stil get you a pass?

Thanks

1) If you fail NAV, you can still pass pilot.  In fact, I've heard of people that wanted pilot that failed Nav intentionally so that they could not go NAV.
2)Yoke
3)Yaw (not a car, I'd suggest you look into the principles of aviation before you go on CAPSS)
4) Interestingly enough, nobody knows.  Your score is based on a complex series of algorithms.

You will get all the information you need before you go to CAPSS in a study guide.

As an interesting side note, the simulator can sometimes be the easy part.  I passed the simulator and all the medicals except for the Cognitive Test.  (I've since had it repeated by a real person instead of a computer and passed fine).

They tell you the cog test doesn't count towards your medical, do they just say this to take the pressure off?

Recon_Guardsman said:
So looking at all the posts here, Iv got a few questions for everybody.

1) There are simulator tests and math-like tests for air nav. If you are going pilot, then your score on the 'air nav tests' dont matter? Some people are posting saying they passed ACS but failed the air nav part (and obviously passed anyways).
2) Does the simulator control via a stick or a yoke? Everybody seems to want to go buy a yoke, but someone posted saying to fly it with your left hand on your leg (which you cant do with a yoke, can you?)
3) What do the pedals do? Yaw? Or throttle?
4) If you do porly on your first flight and then rapidly improve, can that stil get you a pass?

Thanks

4) Short answer probably  :), all they tell you is that your score is "heavily" weighed on your last session. But it doesn't really matter, you won't be given feedback after each session anyway. All you get is the piece of paper saying yes / no at the end. Just give your best in each session, make sure your well rested and try to think about other stuff in between sessions.

Good luck,

No the cog does count apparently. 

It is supposed to be an easy thing (afterall, if you can watch all your primary flight intruments simulatneously and pass the simulator, you should be able to pass a cognitive test.)  I don't know if I was tired or too stressed when I did mine. 

I know this doesn't help you out much, but if anyone else knows the weight of the cog test they will inform you.

I had the highest score out of my group  ;D  ... but one of us failed it the first time and they told her that it didn't count towards the medical, which I find confusing as she HAD to redo it, so I came to the conclusion they just try and take the pressure off of the who is partaking in the test.

Recon_Guardsman said:
13) What do the pedals do? Yaw? Or throttle?

Thanks

There is actually more to it than just knowing - we all learned to drive car long time ago and drove it for a while, so there are reflexes to be unlearnt.  Especially if you are driving stick your both feet are doing a bit of work which is totally different from what they do when you co-ordinate your turns in aircraft.  The best way would be to fly with your feet on the floor at the beginning - short-winged power planes are yaw stable enough to take care of themselves once you are off the ground.

Astrodog said:
I had the highest score out of my group  ;D  ... but one of us failed it the first time and they told her that it didn't count towards the medical, which I find confusing as she HAD to redo it, so I came to the conclusion they just try and take the pressure off of the who is partaking in the test.

How did you get your score?  None of the people I know had a score at the end...  Only Yes or No for Nav and Pilot.

Max

Miscomm, I was talking about the cog test at the DRDC.. they gave you your score, it was only some obscure fraction which lower meant a better score. We only get the pass/fail from CFASC as well.

Back