• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

I suggest calling your recruiter on Monday to confirm details, but in my recent experience (CFAT written on January 15) the process was about 3 hours.

20-30 mins of waiting/getting sorted before we started the test. 
90 or so minutes of testing (personality test included)
1 hour to wait your turn and then get a chance to hear the results of your CFAT from a recruiter. 

They were sympathetic to people who were in a hurry to leave for other obligations so they asked if anyone needed to leave quickly when it was time to wait for your results, and they in turn professed those people first. 

Was a pretty painless process but yes it did take 3/4 hours.  Bring patience.

BorisK said:
Is suggest calling your recruiter on Monday to confirm details, but in my recent experience (CFAT written on January 15) the process was about 3 hours.

1 hour to wait your turn and then get a chance to hear the results of your CFAT from a recruiter. 

They were sympathetic to people who were in a hurry to leave for other obligations so they asked if anyone needed to leave quickly when it was time to wait for your results, and they in turn professed those people first. 

This was almost exactly my experience late January 2014.

BorisK said:
Is suggest calling your recruiter on Monday to confirm details, but in my recent experience (CFAT written on January 15) the process was about 3 hours.

This process was almost the exact same for me except I was first to be called in. :)

Amanda winter said:
Im booked for the 15th of april. Now they didnt specifiy if it will be aptitude/physical/interview all in one or not As ive not had any of the above mentioned done. But in the confirmation email they said it was from 10am-1pm. Does it normally go for 3 hours just for aptitude or should I bring PT clothes for physical just incase and should I be dressed for an interview just in case as well? Ive emailed and called back to get more confirmation and patiently waiting a response, but would like to k ow if anyone here has extra information.

thanks

Ideally, you should have been told exactly what is taking place that day (i.e. interview, medical, etc.). My RC always let me know what portions of the process were on for my appointment dates, but sometimes details get overlooked, as in other applicant's experiences.

If you aren't able to confirm details with anyone before your date, bring a change of clothes for a medical, just in case. (Gym clothes, comfortable, easy to move in.) As well, even if you only end up writing the CFAT and TSD, it doesn't hurt to look presentable. It never hurts to take pride in your appearance.

I just finished my CFAT, and if you study what THEY tell you to study, and what the have posted on the Forces.ca website, you will do fine. It's a lot easier then I thought it would be. And I was just like all you guys going in, nervous as hell, and I just wanted to say, it's really not that bad. I qualified for all my trades (Infantry, Artillery, and Weapons Tech) btw, so seriously, just study what they tell you to, and you'll do great.

Young416 said:
Hello. Well I have been studying for my cfat I came upon a website cfatready.ca I believe it's a scam to getting some extra $. Does anyone on the forms ever used this service ?

I used this to help study. Its not a scam, its quite helpful but definitely not worth paying for. You can easily find other FREE study aids that work just as effectively. Just my opinion though!

Edited to add to my $0.02 : I found this forum much more helpful than that website

a friend of mine lent me his account for CFAT ready, and while some might find it useful, there are certainly better resources out there.

-you can't really prepare for the verbal portion of the test. you either know it or you don't.
-the spatial question of CFAT ready aren't perfect, they have mistakes on it. but it gives you a decent ideas of what to expect. you can find better free sites that provide you with more examples with correct answers.
-Problem solving section, math problems is all about repetition and speed. with the few problem solving questions that CFATReady provides, it isn't really much of a help to anyone. you're better off buying the 501 math word problems book that the CF recommends, to help with problem recognition, and just basic elementary school math problems to improve your speed.

There tons of posts and opinons about various test prep sites and books.  We don't need another one, read and reply using an EXISTING thread.

locked.

I apologize if this topic is already covered, the system is down for the search option and I am looking for a tutor to help me get 100% ready for the CFAT. I am preparing on my own but I need the confidence and all the help I can get. Does anybody know who I can get on board to help me pass this test?

Thank you guys!

Alex
:cdn:

alext said:
I apologize if this topic is already covered, the system is down for the search option and I am looking for a tutor to help me get 100% ready for the CFAT. I am preparing on my own but I need the confidence and all the help I can get. Does anybody know who I can get on board to help me pass this test?

Thank you guys!

Alex
:cdn:

This thread has a ton of information in it: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ

You can also search by going to Google and typing in: "army.ca/forums: keywords".

No one can actually tutor you as the CFAT questions are classified and we are not allowed to disclose the specific testing information. That said, the above thread has lots of information steering you in the right direction for studying and prep.

Good luck.

Edit to add: For the OP and anyone else to whom this pertains: Don't stress, study what is recommended go in with a good night's sleep and you will be fine.

Hello.  I do understand that there are restrictions when it comes to disclosing specific information about the CFAT test.  So, I apologize before hand if this information can not be brought out into the open.

I've attempted to use the Search ability on the Message Forum to find topics in relation to this, but it appears I keep getting a server busy error when I attempt.

Anyway, my question is.  During the CFAT, are you allowed to use pencil and paper to attempt to figure out solutions to difficult math problems or must you calculate it mentally?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being able to come up with solutions to difficult math problems in my head, but square roots, area of a circle and advanced multiplication can be tough without some scratch paper.

I attempted to find this answer on the Canadian Forces site, I found the following quotes on the information page for the hire process:

"...we cannot offer accommodations, such as letting you use a calculator, have additional time, or read questions aloud, as that would prevent us from gaining an accurate measurement of specific skills."

"You may also want to review problem solving skills like fractions, decimals and long division by hand (calculators are not allowed)."

Clearly, calculators are restricted.  However, there's no mention of scrap paper and pencil being restricted.

It may not seem like a big deal, but it would really ease the mind knowing.

Thanks.

stealthylizard said:
Yes, you can use paper and pencil to do calculations.

You can use them yes, but bring them no. The CFRC provides them.

horadricbacon said:
Hello.  I do understand that there are restrictions when it comes to disclosing specific information about the CFAT test.  So, I apologize before hand if this information can not be brought out into the open.

I've attempted to use the Search ability on the Message Forum to find topics in relation to this, but it appears I keep getting a server busy error when I attempt.

Anyway, my question is.  During the CFAT, are you allowed to use pencil and paper to attempt to figure out solutions to difficult math problems or must you calculate it mentally?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being able to come up with solutions to difficult math problems in my head, but square roots, area of a circle and advanced multiplication can be tough without some scratch paper.

I attempted to find this answer on the Canadian Forces site, I found the following quotes on the information page for the hire process:

"...we cannot offer accommodations, such as letting you use a calculator, have additional time, or read questions aloud, as that would prevent us from gaining an accurate measurement of specific skills."

"You may also want to review problem solving skills like fractions, decimals and long division by hand (calculators are not allowed)."

Clearly, calculators are restricted.  However, there's no mention of scrap paper and pencil being restricted.

It may not seem like a big deal, but it would really ease the mind knowing.

Thanks.

You don't need the search function, there is a 21 page STICKIED FAQ about the CFAT at the very top of this sub-forum you posted in. 

Locked.

Hi Guys,

Wondering if it's possible to write CFAT online? I have no transportation to get to any recruiting branch...is this at all possible to do?

Back