• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

just make sure that you read the problem and look at what the question is really asking you.... they put in alot of useless info in the question to confuse you..

try this site, might help...

http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/algebra-word-problems.html

If you're not sure you are ready for the math, then you might want to wait until you are totally confident -- take a formal course or find a tutor.  I wouldn't relax about it.

good luck

I've said it before in another post. Sign up for the "Graduate Recruitment Test" in the public sector of the government. The test helped me a lot! Gave me a lot more confidence and made the CFAT go smoothly. 

thebigunit said:
Im having a REAL hard time finding good links to math problems, specifically the word problem questions.  Ones like:

This may or may not help, but here you go:

thebigunit said:
1.  In 4 years time Angela will be twice as old as Barry and 4 times as old as Carol.  3 Years ago Angela was 3 times as old as Barry.  How old are Angela, Barry, and Carol now?

Assign 'variables' to things that change in the problem, in order to make the statement work.  In this problem, the age of 3 persons (Angela, Barry and Carol) will change. Lets call them x (Angela's age as of today), y (Barry's age as of today) and z (Carol's age as of today).  It's just easier to write.

So, the problem says that in 4 years (add 4 to the current ages), Angela will be twice as old as Barry.

So,

x+4 = 2*(y+4)

Also, it says that in 4 years , Angela will be 4 times older than Carol, so:

x+4=4*(z+4)

The problem also says that 3 years ago (substract 3 to the current ages), Angela was 3 times older than Barry, so:

x-3=3*(y-3)

So you see, the variables of equation 1 and 3 are the same (x and y or Angela's and Barry's age as of Today)

Now, we need to isolate a common variable in those 2 equations.  For a sake of ease, let's go with Angela's age, or x:

For equation 1, we get:

x= 2*(y+4)-4

For equation 3, we get:

x=3*(y-3)+3

Now, we can substitude x from equation 1 into equation 3:

2*(y+4)-4=3*(y-3)+3

Now, we need to do the same thing we did with Angela's age before (x) with Barry's age (y): isolate it:

2y+8-4=3y-9+3
8-4+9-3=3y-2y
10=y

We know now that Barry's age  as of today is 10.

We can go back to equation 1 or 3 and find Angela's age, by substituing Barry's, age in the equations.  It doesn't matter which one you use, it will give you the same answer.

Let's use equation 1 (with Angela's age being isolated):

x= 2*(y+4)-4

x=2*(10+4)-4
x=2*(14)-4
x=28-4
x=24

We now know that Angela's age is 24.  To prove that using eighter equation 1 or 3 doesn't matter, let's do the same thing with equation 3:

x=3*(y-3)+3
x=3*(10-3)+3
x=3*(7)+3
x=21+3
x=24

Now, using the second equation, we can find Carol's age as of today:

x+4=4*(z+4)
x+4=4z+16
x+4-16=4z
x-12=4z
(x-12)/4=z
z=(x-12)/4
z=(24-12)/4
z=(12)/4
z=3

So Carol's age is... 3!

There it is.  As simple as that.  The only way to succesfully do this kind of problem is by establising relationship (equations) between what's given (variables).  Then, with these relationships, you can methodically and with logic find the answers.  A little trick, in you have 3 variables, but only 2  equations, you will not be able to definately find a solid answer for all 3 variables.  One of variable will be equal to a relationship that will depend on what the other 2 values of the variable are.

This problem looks like one of those in GMAT.
I think it is easier/more logical if we make a table for this type of problem.

So let's assume that their age (in years) are:
Angela  = A
Barry  = B
Carol = C

AGE        3 years ago      today        4 years from now

Angela          A-3                  A                  A+4

Barry            B-3                  B                  B+4

Carol            C-3                  C                  C+4

In 4 years, Angela will be twice as old as Barry.  If we look at the 4th column:

A+4 = 2*(B+4)

3 years ago, Angela was 3 times older than Barry; from the 2nd column:

A-3 = 3*(B-3)

Here we have 2 equations and 2 variable (A and B), so with substitutions, we can get A and B.

In 4 years time Angela  will be 4 times as old as Carol.  Thus,

A+4=4*(C+4)

We already know A, so we can solve for C.

I have seen similar problem but more complicated ones, e.g. involving 5 people instead of 3, and I found this method works best.

Cheers,

:christmas happy:

Hello

I received the call today for a postion as an infantry officer in the reserves.  I understand that this is not a great occasion but the start of a long process in determining my eligibility for this job.  The CFAT and other tests will ultimately determine if I am capable for this job.

It is the CFAT that I am concerned about the most and I am wondering what level of mathematics  should I focus on to study as I am not the strongest in this specific subject. 

Thank you

The CFAT is based on grade 10. However, you should have a higher level than that. Go on line and do any and all aptitude  or IQ tests you can. G and get the GED book or go to Chapters or Indigo or any other large bookstore and get any book on aptitude tests.

As an Officer you will need to score higher than someone wanting to be an NCM. And NO I will NOT tell you what the cut off is so don't bother to ask. Score as high as you can and go from there,

Thanks for the tips

I'm defiantly not going for the bare minimum.  Already have the GED book, Thanks for the posting.

OK I have to ask, how did you get offered a position before they even know if you qualify for it seems pretty ass backwards to me.  Used to be you wrote the CFAT and based on that the told you what was available based on how you did.

dangerboy said:
OK I have to ask, how did you get offered a position before they even know if you qualify for it seems pretty ass backwards to me.  Used to be you wrote the CFAT and based on that the told you what was available based on how you did.

OK.  I can answer this.

As a prospective Reservist, (s)he will have to apply to a Reserve Unit first and be accepted (in this case as an officer candidate) after which the Reserve Unit will give the prospect a letter of acceptance that they will take down to the CFRC with all of their application forms and then  start the Recruitment process.  The CFRC will not process a prospect for a Reserve unit without that letter. 

Once the prospect has dropped off the application forms with an acceptance letter from a Reserve unit, then the CFRC will start the process of booking the CFAT, Medical and Physical Fitness Test, etc.

Interesting, thanks for the info George. I learned something new.

Does this now mean that (s)he will become an officer?  No.

They still have to make it through BMOQ/BMQ, CAP, and Phase Trg like every other officer candidate. 

George Wallace said:
Does this now mean that (s)he will become an officer?  No.

They still have to make it through BMOQ/BMQ, CAP, and Phase Trg like every other officer candidate.
And get a qualifying score on the CFAT, have no medical problems, pass the PT test......
......at least, I should hope so.

Not to mention during the interview convince the MCC they are competent. (I know hard to believe sometimes)

And sometimes the 'convincing' directs the applicant in a wholly unforseen direction! >:D

In Toronto yes as far as we know. we need a letter from the Regiment CO before we will process a Reserve Officer.

recceguy said:
Are Reserve Officer candidates still boarded by the Regimental Senate?

Not by a Senate, but usually by a regimental/unit board of four members, three being from the unit which the applicant wishes to join and one from another unit.  All board members are usually Captains or Majors.

Back