• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Auto Insurance

I tried the personnal when moved to NB 4 years ago.  At that time I was 34 yr old female with 2 vehicles and only 1 accident.  No tickets nothing else.  The personnal want over $5000 per year.  The company we went with only charged us $1600 per year and gives us great coverage. (it was the same company as when we had our accident and at that time gave us excellent support).  I've owned vehicles since '92 always while in the military and have found the personnal NOT to be the best provider.  But that is just my experience.  Not saying they are a bad company or the worst rates.  Just for me, I would never use them.
Kirsten

retiredgrunt45 said:
And not to mention, when you hit 45 with a good driving record, how your rates drop like a stone.

Oh goody, only three more years..... :D

I have used The Personal ever since 1997 when I purchased my first car (in Canada).  At the time, I was 32 and The Co-Operators insurance wanted to charge me $3200/year like a brand new driver since I had never been insured under my own name (only under my ex-husband's).  I went through the Personal who contacted my former insurance agent and got the info required to give me the insurance rate more suitable to my driving record/experience.  Not to mention, you don't have to change companies when moving province to province (as you would if you are insured with a local company).  On my one and only claim, I had no problems and because it was a hit and run and investigated by police, my premiums did not increase.

I'm currently with State Farm paying $88.16 (1060 Per year aprox) per month for full comprehensive coverage (as required by my car loan) on a 2007 Nissan Titan King Cab....... And I'm 21 Years old, and have been driving since 16 (full license, Alberta....). I just called the Personal, and they quoted me 946 and change (78-80$/month aprox) per year, so not much of a savings, but amazing since I'm in the 'zone'.... Though no speeding tickets, etc.

I've been insured with The Personal for three years now. When I was shopping for insurance I was under 25, and the rate I got with The Personal was significantly less than the quotes I got from every other provider.

I'm scratching my head here - why is the insurance in Canada is so expensive?

Without wishing to generalise, your roads are a decent size, most vehicles are auto and the streets aren't gridlocked with traffic - as low a risk of accidents as you could get as far as I can see.  ???

Here in the UK the roads are half the size and driving is like Wacky Races, i.e. traffic is horrendous.  I drive what would be considered the equivalent of a Dodge Caravan and I pay the equivalent of C$450 a year for full cover with a deductable of CS300.

I guess I've got a shock coming if and when I get there.....lol  :eek:

British Army said:
I guess I've got a shock coming if and when I get there.....lol  :eek:

Wait until you try and get a mobile phone here......

At least the price of gas (petrol) won't be a shock (or will it?).

Yes but we have people that like to get into accidents and for some reason if your under 25 your rates are higher, because you are more likely to get into an accident.

Not that the insurance companies discriminate or anything

Right before I joined the military, I was 17, living in Montreal and had a "sport" car (91 Chevy Turbo Sprint).  I remember paying about $8000 for the car and about $4000 for the first year's insurance!!

It's just a fact the insurance companies can't deny, youger people have more accidents.  Montrealers have more chance of accidents/theft, etc..

It's crap but that's the way things go!!

CDN Aviator said:
Wait until you try and get a mobile phone here......

You're not joking - I never did get used to having to lose minutes/credit just to receive a call. Mobile's are one thing the UK does seem competitive. I have a monthly rolling contract on an iPhone which gives me 600mins/1,200 texts/unlimited internet for C$37 a month.  ;)

NFLD Sapper said:
At least the price of gas (petrol) won't be a shock (or will it?).

What is the gas price now - I think when I left in Aug last year it was around C$1 a litre?  It's been creeping up here for the last couple of months; unleaded is now running at around C$1.95!  :mad:

Here in Oromocto, New Brunswick it is running at around $1.045/L for regular unleaded

$0.916 for Regular in Ontario.

Also, Canadian gas has less octane.  In Europe Regular is usually around 92, Mid Grade 94 to 96, and Super 98.  Here we are looking at Regular being 82 to 85, Mid Grade 87, and Super 92.

I also found that in Germany, Super and Mid Grade, although different Octane levels, were identically priced.

George Wallace said:
$0.916 for Regular in Ontario.

Also, Canadian gas has less octane.  In Europe Regular is usually around 92, Mid Grade 94 to 96, and Super 98.  Here we are looking at Regular being 82 to 85, Mid Grade 87, and Super 92.

I also found that in Germany, Super and Mid Grade, although different Octane levels, were identically priced.

I spent 7 yrs in Germany and noticed the same, although the price wasn't really an issue if you were UK forces - we were allowed to buy a limited amount of concessionary fuel coupons each month which meant we only paid about a 1/3 of the pump price.  ;)

Unlike the rest of Europe, the UK only has 2 unleaded fuels. Ordinary unleaded is 95 RON and Super unleaded is 98 RON.

$0.916 for Regular in Ontario seems pretty good from what I remember. The fuel in the UK would be nearer that price if it wasn't for the fact that the government fuel tax accounts for approx 80% of each litre.  We also have to pay road tax (similar to your licence plate sticker) each year. The tax is based on exhaust emissions - even on a pretty clean/small engined car it still costs C$295 a year. The 'gas guzzlers' who drive 4X4s, sports cars etc have to pay as much as C$750.  :-\

Rule Britannia......all those taxes and yet we're still firmly on target to have the worst deficit (14% GDP) in the industrialised world.  :mad:

Just got a quote on insurance. For 2 vehicles fully insured $2200/year I currently pay around $2300 plus my insurance policy is due at end of Aug

I have our cars insured thru The Personal.  I have found their service excellent (sales and claims both).

My wife drives a 2008 Mazda 3 GX Hatchback, I have a 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI.  Our policy is just under $150 a month for full coverage w/ $100 deductible on comprehensive.  I also have our tenants insurnace thru them, at about $240 a year.  All said and done, I believe my payments for the whole kit-and-kaboodle is $174.68. 

My only bad point with them is they give you a discount on Home insurance if your Auto insurance is with them, but not for Tenants insurance.  That makes NO sense to me be, it is what it is.

All in all, I am saving about $30 a month with the combined auto policy from what we were paying before. 

I'm posted (next week actually) to New Brunswick. I've been with a company on the rock now for the past three years. The first year I shopped around and went with the best rate - 140 a month (home and auto combined). Every year, a month prior to expiry, I shop around again. I got a little lower rate, but not enough to jump ship. Now I have to as I am with a strictly NL carrier. I went with the Personal - they cut my insurance in half - home and auto - standard home (nothing special) and both of us on a 2009 Sonata Sports Edition - 70 a month. Can't complain there, can I?

BinRat55 said:
I'm posted (next week actually) to New Brunswick. I've been with a company on the rock now for the past three years. The first year I shopped around and went with the best rate - 140 a month (home and auto combined). Every year, a month prior to expiry, I shop around again. I got a little lower rate, but not enough to jump ship. Now I have to as I am with a strictly NL carrier. I went with the Personal - they cut my insurance in half - home and auto - standard home (nothing special) and both of us on a 2009 Sonata Sports Edition - 70 a month. Can't complain there, can I?

By shopping around and finding that of all the possible insurers, the one you're planning to go for is a good 50% cheaper than the one you might have otherwise gone for? Yeah, I'd suggest not bitching about that.

Back