• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Officer guilty of wearing unearned medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, it's one thing to be a skid with no service (pr basic dropout) and wear medals and ribbons you never earned, or retired and embellish your service.... But to be actively serving and do it!? What a POS. Unbelievable.

George Wallace said:
She and her case(s) are an embarrassment to the Canadian Armed Forces, and cause for a lot of discussion on various media forums.  Not only is she a topic of discussion, but the members of the court and their judgement are coming into question.  Many are beginning to wonder if this may be signs of a systemic problem, not limited to this one individual.

I am seeing the same trends GW. 

My civilian friends are simply stating "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", while my subordinates and peers in the CAF seem to be head scratching and wondering what consequence or significance this has on moral and discipline.

I'm going to ask her where I can get my "medals" mounted if I see her kicking around!  ::)

What a joke!

She will retire, get a nice cushy job as some kind of adviser or something in a company then talk about how much the CF sucks.

Anyone know exactly which medals she wore that she is not entitled to. She seems have a complete set of NDHQ project director's Thank You medals? Were these Operational medals?

I'm no expert so I can't say if this was an appropriate punishement.  I can say that it does not seem so (to me at least).  I feel this sets a bad precedant.  But at least I'm comforted by the fact that this woman has added to her criminial record.  Hopefully that sticks to her if and when she moves on.

Lightguns said:
Anyone know exactly which medals she wore that she is not entitled to. She seems have a complete set of NDHQ project director's Thank You medals? Were these Operational medals?

Here is some of the details

Prosecutor Maj. Eric Carrier read the facts behind the charges, which involved medals and insignia she was awarded in the 1990s and 2008 but were not officially confirmed and were being worn without authority.

He read from a prepared statement outlining the facts of the case.

In April 1996, Miller, then a major, requested a special service medal for her work with NATO, but she only served 126 out of a minimum 180 aggregate qualifying days from April 1989 to July 1995.

She has been wearing the medal on her uniform, without authority, since 1997, said the statement.

During a year-long deployment from June 1996 to July 1997 for the United Nations Disengagement Observation Force, Carrier read that Miller, still at the rank of major, was awarded a medal for her support in the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon mission. But upon returning to her base in Winnipeg, she was unable to get the proper confirmation from her superiors to wear the medal. It was disclosed later that she never met the criteria for the medal, which she's worn since 1997.

For her third charge, Carrier said Miller was awarded the Vice Chief of Defence Staff Commendation in August 2008, which entitles her to wear the commendation insignia on her uniform, but there's no documentation authorizing her to wear insignia with two other commendation medals she was wearing on Dec. 20, 2012.

Absolutely completely 100% pure AWESOME!!!!! Why work to earn medals and commendations - just buy them and put them on.....

CS - I didn't quite understand the last part of the Prosecutor's statement - was she wearing two other commendation insignia that she wasn't entitled to? Perhaps 2x CDS Commendations or lower?

Clearly, this individual has multiple issues with ethical behaviour and honesty.  As such, she should be asked (told) to leave the CAF ASAP.

I'm just a wee short for my CD and I did volunteer for the UN Sinai mission but didn't get to go, can I wear those?

She was a officer and could have taken the responsibility to determine if she should wear them or not. The fact that she felt the "need" to wear them when I highly suspect she knew she was not supposed to, tells me everything I need to know about her and am thankfully I did not have to serve under her.

Colin P said:
I'm just a wee short for my CD and I did volunteer for the UN Sinai mission but didn't get to go, can I wear those?

She was a officer and could have taken the responsibility to determine if she should wear them or not. The fact that she felt the "need" to wear them when I highly suspect she knew she was not supposed to, tells me everything I need to know about her and am thankfully I did not have to serve under her.

From what I was reading on the web, she was awarded some or all of these medals in theater. When it was determined that she didn't qualify, she was suppose to take them she obviously didn't.  She had been wearing some since 97, she received the OMM in 2008, you think someone would have checked.

Chief Stoker said:
From what I was reading on the web, she was awarded some or all of these medals in theater. When it was determined that she didn't qualify, she was suppose to take them she obviously didn't.  She had been wearing some since 97, she received the OMM in 2008, you think someone would have checked.

She has shamed herself and the profession of arms. She should at least resign her commission.

The troops see this as a two tiered system. The officers taking care of their own and dispensing arbitrary Justice to the troops.

Just repeating what my friends still in have said and I can understand their view. They believe had that been an NCM they would have been treated a lot more harshly and most likely given the boot. My former colleague believe there is a two tier justice system in place and unless that belief is dispelled then you will see morale erode even more.

Jim Seggie said:
She has shamed herself and the profession of arms. She should at least resign her commission.

The troops see this as a two tiered system. The officers taking care of their own and dispensing arbitrary Justice to the troops.

Exactly!

Ex-Dragoon said:
Just repeating what my friends still in have said and I can understand their view. They believe had that been an NCM they would have been treated a lot more harshly and most likely given the boot. My former colleague believe there is a two tier justice system in place and unless that belief is dispelled then you will see morale erode even more.

I know of a CPO2 in Ottawa who was recently charged with wearing a medal he wasn't entitled to. I believe he received a fine and a severe reprimand.

Chief Stoker said:
you think someone would have checked.

I'm sorry, but I would hope upon being handed a rank of LCol, that nit picking uniform checks might be something you could be trusted with......

Jim Seggie said:

I heard there is a group petitioning to revoke her OMM now. I suspect she will be retiring with full pension sometime soon. Anyone know this woman, what was she like as a boss?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I'm sorry, but I would hope upon being handed a rank of LCol, that nit picking uniform checks might be something you could be trusted with......

No I thought there would be a vetting process for the OMM, including an audit of honors to ensure there is no embarrassment later. Probably will be now though.

Just asking a question.  I know when I received my Corrections Exemplary Service Medal there was also a certificate issued.  Is this the same for medals issued in the Armed Forces?
Reason I ask is where did she buy (I assume she bought the medal) the medals.  And if someone is selling medals without verifying that the purchaser is entitled to have the medals shouldn't the seller be investigated and charged too

Tom 

The new process for getting medals mounted does include a CO's confirmation of which medals are awarded (and therefore eligable for mounting at public expense).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back