• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Icons

I‘ve never heard of the band RUSH before...
There are other people who HAve heard of rush right??

I‘m not that old, tell me I‘m not that old.

I‘m 16 and know of Rush. One of my friends at school even has a tour t-shirt from them. Plus they were put on the walk of fame. And nobody has said the Barenaked Ladies yet.

Oi, D-N-A, Geddy Lee‘s on his way to your house and he is pissed :D

Who HASN‘T heard RUSH????

bah to this new fad letsspeakamileaminandcallitsinging nonsense....

haha

I feel like the social reject here cause I havent heard of them.

I‘m more into like ‘60s rock, metal, punk and alternative rock music

You aren‘t a social reject DNA....

They just don‘t know good tunes ;)

What about Franky Pumpkin and the Codfish Five from NFLD!? Im sure they deserve recognition....

Only when you‘re getting "Screeched" in and have ta kiss the Cod! ;)

Regards

For me as a kid who came here in 64 from Liverpool to Edmonchuck and experienced the worst winter they had for over 40 year‘s and have been in every Province except for the Yukon,NWT,Nunivit (ok a Territories),P.E.I and New Brunswick.

Is the Beauty that is our country is of the people and our Country from coast to coast.

As a seaman on Norwegian ship‘s I was in the Gaspe and had a great time.
Also on the North Shore of the St.Laurence going into Point au Pic,Bau Como etc.
That‘s where I met true Quebecer‘s!!
Great people!!

Did you know that when you sail up the Sant Lauren River that the farm‘s are still laid out as the King of France from when he gave the land grant‘s to the Habitaunt‘s?
I was steering the ship with the Pilot when we came around the corner on the river when I say‘s;Holy ****!!
The pilot goe‘s what‘s wrong?(thinking navigation)
So I explained about what I saw and the reason why about the lay out of the farm field‘s.

When we moved from Edmonchuck to Vancouver in 68 I made friend‘s with local Indian‘s and learnt thier way‘s.

As a seaman I sailed our West Coast and going into Klemtu and the kid‘s did not speak english but their own language.

I can‘t say I have one icon because I have many.
I have been all over our land and what I have seen and expeirenced is Canada to me.

All from a kid who came here and whent out to see his new adopted land!

Canada is all the above and still more I wish to see.That‘s my Canada and now I‘m introducing my wife to my Canada,she‘s a Philippina and does not know how big our land is.

Oh have also driven across our land 4 time‘s and I like‘s the Folk‘s in Saskabush good folk‘s !!

All the above is my Canada,no one thing can I point to,too say "My Canada"

I‘m suprised no one said Vimy Ridge. The battle that made us Canada. I have many things that I would call are my Canadian Icons but the ones that stick out are, the pride I feel when I hear our anthem played, Hockey, every winter I can remeber I‘ve been playing pond hockey, Watching Canadas Hockey teams win gold at the Olympic. Finally the feeling of extreme pride I have when I tell foreingers that I am Canadian!!

Well, I don‘t smoke anymore, but Canadian cigs were truly the best of all that I‘d tried, in my smoking days. Stronger than many, but smoother too. To this day, I‘ll be driving along, and get a hankerin for a McDonald‘s Menthol Light - my old brand.

Oh, and Colts cigars.. never found an equivalent, anywhere else.

Originally posted by jimbunting:
[qb] How about this one............

Marching with the "Old Comrades" on a rainy and windy November 11th, the whole regiment swinging in step, up University Avenue to the cenotaph, knowing that they are "sizing up the youngsters" to see if that are continuing the traditons that have been established in the past 103 years of service?

Or sitting in on a "smoker" at the annual ranges shoot, watching the guys from WW2, who are watching themselves on the screen, as the NFB‘s 16 part newsreel series, "Canada At War" is being shown, and they point out themselves, on the screen, in Italy, France, or Holland? Listening to them tell stories about the things they did to stay alive, and those who "didn‘t make it back home".

That is "Canadian History " right from the men who lived it. [/qb]
You hit the nail on the head with that one man. there is no greater sence of pride than when you are talking to a vet who gave his all for his country, and remembering those who gave their lives.

Don‘t forget the fact that the Montreal Canadiens with 24 Stanley Cups!!!!!! :D
I guess the Leafs with 13 Stanley Cups. The two teams with the highest in the NHL.
The Avro Arrow
Our peacekeeping efforts around the world
Our anthem
Poutine
Gretzky
The fact that most of the great hockey players have come from Canada.
Mike Weir
Shania Twain (Cause I‘m from Timmins :D )

Pancakes
Maple Syrup
Passenger Trains (or VIA is just wasting our money)
Eh?
Snowshoes
Robertson screwdrivers
Lacrosse
Baseketball
Telephones
North Bay Dinner Jackets
Shinny
The Rocket (and the Pocket Rocket)
Weird facts: The national anthem was written by an organisation that is rabidly anti-Canadian (today)
"Bonjour" from an Anglophone.
Use of the term "bilingual" to mean "english and french" as opposed to any other combination.
The Big Nickel
Stompin‘ Tom
Stan Rogers
Dulse
the term "prairie oyster"
Orbits
Squid-jiggin‘
"Buddy" as in "so, buddy joined the Forces, eh?"
Toques
Molson beer. Sure, I don‘t drink it much, but it‘s still a Canadian icon.
Roch Voisine (I know, but the french like milder forms of music)
RUSH
Diamond-tooth Gertie‘s
Robert Service

Back