• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Prison

My only experience with the DBs was the one in Valcatraz.  As an Orderly Sgt - visiting one of our boys who was "inside" after having stolen & cracked up the COs jeep on a joyride.

- Slightly beligerent going into the cells, he was somewhat more cooperative coming out.

Ahhh... the good old days :)

Years ago, while enjoying the good life in scenic Wainwright,  I picked up a paperback novel called Movin' On,  written by the late Bill Meilen - a noted writer/actor who lived in Vancouver,  in the Canex.  Story of a Brit private during the Korean War who drew 6 months in the Commonwealth DB in Japan.  Pretty graphic rendition of life in the digger that reflects many of the anecdotes on this thread.  I can only presume that the author, himself a Brit Korean War vet, was a guest.

Evidently a guest:

http://www.trashfiction.co.uk/moving_on.html

Maybe I should be one too "In that he did misrepresent the title"  - it's Moving On, not Movin' On.

BTW, as I recall the one, truly sympathetic, Staff was a VanDoo.

Shec said:
BTW, as I recall the one, truly sympathetic, Staff was a VanDoo.

Not sympathetic, just playing his part >:D...................hehehe.

A sympathetic Vandoo jailer?

Naw!  Say it aint so! - probably something lost in translation.
Vandoo was prolly telling the guy to go to hell while smiling like a cheshire cat...

Almost got there myself, lockup in 76 in the RP shack before trial...learned what good reading Readers Digest is. Lucky for me my Senior NCO stood up for me and all I got was a fine and sent on the next plane to the middle east.
I had an instructor I'll call "Red" also a RCEME type (must be something with the trade back then) he did 90 days at Ed for a little stunt in the barracks. Seems Red didn't like the idea of stripping all the wax off the floor so he sparyed lighter fluid and lit it up. He told me I was lucky to get the fine and to smarten up, considering I was just 18 at the time I got myself corrected...well at least till the next time I hit the mess and had too many.

Hi

I am curious as to what takes place in a military detention or is that classified?
I am assuming lots of grunt work etc.

"use any abusive, threatening, insulting, profane or other improper language towards an inmate;"

Well that has certainly changed since I was there.......

Rodahn said:
"use any abusive, threatening, insulting, profane or other improper language towards an inmate;"

No kidding.  I was going to order name tags with either "Puke" or "Turd" on them when I got out.

Heh...
I can just picture it.....
Staff standing there in front of you saying, with hands held up to mouth:
"Oh, goodness gracious me, what have you done now Pte Bloggins!?!" :o

Rodahn said:

I recall something similar in the standing orders at CFLRS years ago.  It was observed religiously by the DS for about the first two or three days...

gnplummer421 said:
Rifleman,

I was there for 30 days in '83. Although Bread and Water was on the menu for anyone stuck in "the hole" (sound proof/light proof padded room) we ate like kings. How else could you do all that PT. (there was lots.) One cig after every meal unless you screwed up. No talking at any time unless you were addressing "the Eyeball" on the post by the staff office. (eye contact with DB staff was not allowed as you were too low as a detainee to address them directly) We did not mark time while shaving. We did do many station jobs at night. (IE waxing the floor by hand using a wad of wax inside a thin towel and making swirls)

Once you completed two weeks the privileges would get better, but could quickly be taken away again. Everything was driven by good behavior. If you shut your yap and followed directions, you flew under the Radar. All in all a crappy place to be. I arrived there a bit flabby, and left there in the best shape of my life. Even though I screwed up, I feel the experience made me a better person, and luckily, the Army kept me.

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

I've been to Club Ed before. Got out in Feb of 2008. At the time there were 6 of us and we all came in at the same hour. Apparently, according to the staff, that's the most there has been in about 5 years before that.

After reading what you've typed out, I guess i'm lucky to have visited after the new millennium.
Our basic day was 10 seconds to get outside of the cell after they open, 10 minutes for however many people there are to shower under 4 shower-holes, which are pipes hanging out of the walls, nothing more.
10 minutes to clean cell, and prepare all kit in properly measured sizes and positions on your rack.
30 minutes to eat breakfast, do dishes and mop the floor. The staff tended to have leniency with this timing only. We sometimes stretched this out to up to 45-50 minutes.
During the day; after breakfast, we would do what seemed to be joe jobs. Cleaning A, B, C, and D wings along with their cells. Although, we never had to clean "The hole". We shoveled snow in behind the DB where the 5 minute break area was for our smoke breaks or breaks for nothing if we didn't earn the 150 or so points needed to have 1 smoke a day.
There were also old military gear with all of the metal parts painted black, we had to scrape it off with a nail and polish it to standard, along with the galvanized steel pail it came in. [If anyone ever has to do any time here... I found out that the paint is water soluble, if you use the water from your boot polish can, you can just wash it off with the help of your kiwi rag. Don't do it too fast though, they'll make you do it again and you'll be left using spit, and being sneaky. Should take about a week to finish.]
We would also do hour PT stints with the help of PSP staff on Wednesdays and Fridays and used the gym-room for the remainder.
Lunch and supper preparation were the same as breakfast and they're also followed by dishes and mopping.
As for what we ate, it was great. Each Friday we got to choose from a menu, what we would eat each day, for each meal. Soup, drink, main dish, fruit, and desert (The chocolate cake is really damn dry, get pie). We could usually take up an hour every Friday making up our meals, it was great.
We had time after supper to do laundry every night. While our laundry is being cleaned, we would attend sessions with a padre, read in the library if we earned the points needed, or work on our painted kit more.
Days really seemed to fly by because it was always laid out for you. Smoking wasn't a big problem, you're always busy.

Other than that, It's simple. The first full day; after laundry, a detainee left a wool sock in the dryer. We were approached from behind, while standing marking time for a reason we didn't know yet, by a staff making animal noises and wearing the sock as puppet. We all laughed and proceeded to kiss the floor 21 times every few minutes for the next half hour.
You don't have the right of speech which you're in the DB, but you can always just whisper to the guy in the cell across from you, or to the guy next to you in the laundry room. When you have group sessions with the padre, they are supposed to be between padre and the detainee speaking, but we always got away with group discussions about nothing. I remember talking with the padre about guitar hero. Yes. Guitar Hero.

Well, i've done too much typing for now and i'm running out of thoughts, so... yeah, try to stay away from Club Ed, and especially "the hole" if you do find yourself there. They CAN and DO still feed your bread, lard and water

Oh yes, as for the points, you can get 7 a day. Chances are you'll lose 5 within the first half hour of the day when the "SIR"s are around.

Not that DB is a good thing, yet good to see 'Tradition Lives' outside of Greisbach.

Canadian Forces Service Prison and Detention Barracks
prison.jpg

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/03-00-eng.asp

...promoting the successful reintegration of the service offender back into the military or civilian community, as appropriate.
What exactly does one do to be put into prison/detention but still not enough to immediately be discharged?

(not like I'm testing the fence - just find the statement to be contradictary)

Back