• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Slang

Cackleberries- hardboiled eggs (nice hand warmers on cold winter mornings)
Duff- dessert on a ship
Safety Dance- getting charged (you know- Men Without Hats...)
Bend- (verb) to damage an aircraft
PUFO- to move really quickly on receipt of move orders  (Pack Up F... Off)
Pull Pole- again, to move positions (comes from pulling the main pole on an arctic tent)

i'm too tired to look back, but I may have posted this already (or beach_bum beat me to it)

PA - Put Away

It took me years to figure that one out.

I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been posted.  Where is the Tango Papa?

I thought KISS was:  KEEP IT SIMPLE SGT?

Just a Sig Op said:
Horse C**k - Detachable spout for fuel jerries.
Chicken Strap - Safety strap across the back of a troop carrying vehicle.

Firstly   :warstory: I can remember the first time I asked for a horse c**k to POL a Land Rover here in Australia, and they thought I was nuts!   :warstory:

Here they call em 'goose necks', and the 20L Jerry cans are an exact copy of the original WW2 German ones. Hence were they got their names.

Secondly, we call chicken bars and straps 'fear bars' here.

Cheers,

Wes

Heh... speaking of looking at people odd... while working in a field kitchen for a while, the cook asked me for a "long deep insert" (Standard metal trays, long, short, deep, and shallow, inserted into hay boxes and into the serving thingy's in the messes for anyone who didn't know) ... I was very confused... I thought he was pulling my leg, as the fellow was a tad perverted...

With regards to the horse c**k, here's an example of how slang gets into your vocabulary and you don't really think about it, I watched somone search a stack of loan cards for a good 15 minutes looking for a reference to horse cocks.

Blade = (n) Backstabber, (v) To Backstab

Bivvie Up = Bivouac, encamp

Cornflake (or Cookie Cutter) = CF Tri-service, recruit cap badge

Dog F*cker = Lazy

Shacks = Barracks

Sh*tters = Latrine

RSM = Retired Service Member

RTU = Return To Unit, sent home

â Å“The Two Duffle Shuffleâ ? = To Get RTU'ed

Also in reference to being RTU'd : "The Kit bag drag"

Stu

p*ss poor cadet lacking intelligence -PPCLI

squishes-infantry

and in reference to TOON it's because they are not quite real and only on weekends

former chicken f**ker now a TOON

Thoughts on TOONS........and SOAPs

I would agree that we in the reserve (the mo) are commonly called toons........BUT REMEMBER:

Toons may only come out on the weekends....but they are vibrant, full of life and everyone loves to watch 'em (Or loves to hate 'em)

Whereas:

SOAPS are long, drawn out, boring affairs that happen during the week.....poorly written, poorly acted and above all poorly funded....  >:D

Bag Drive = Excessive drawn-out physical and stress-filled activity
BSTL = Bag stuck to leg
Gun Plumber = Weapons Tech
Bin Rat = Supply Tech
Pencil Tech = RMS Clerk
Opie-Dopie = OPEME
Brain Can = Helmet
Master Jack = Master Corporal
Crossdressing = Wearing items of CF issue while in civvies
Corn Flake = CF recruit cap badge
Paper Clip = Logistics cap badge
Tango Hotel, Timmy's = Tim Horton's
C*ck (Charlie Oscar Charlie Kilo) = What they feed you from time to time
Beasting = C *ck which takes the form of an individual or collective exercise program
Hatless Disco = Charge Parade
Bash On = Carry on regardless
Downrange = where you want to get some food after a busy day
Wobbly Pops = beers (those too)
GD's = General Duties (drudge work)
Extras = Extra Duties (see Hatless Disco)
Numpty, Sh*t Pump, Bag of Hammers = terms of lack of respect for comrade not pulling his weight
PAT Platoon = Persons Awaiting Training

I believe I have read the topic from the beginning and I can't find my personal favourite... Whistlehead... From the sound an officers head makes when he/she turns sideways in the wind.
Here in Cold Lake we call the jet plumbers, Hangar Apes..Hey I guess that's actually two more!

It seems that I have remembered a couple more.

His Nibs - Meaning one who is important or one who is self important ie if the CO was about to inspect one could say here comes His Nibs or if an FNG were to demand something from stores the storeman could respond "well get a load of His Nibs here!"

Blue Rocket - That's what we've always called porta-potties

AWOL Bag - A small pack even an IPE bag (I suppose that it's the right size for going over the hill)

Leg - Non-jumper

Gara Trooper - Good kit and quarters but an absolute schmuck in the field.

I think I may have forgotten far more than I remember.

Have a good one!

ps The Navy in Esquimalt called us grunts Pongos   right up until we left in 94

And yet another ...

HSM - House Sargent Major - Read wife!

BOHICA- Bend Over, Here It Comes Again

Belt fed - anything coming fast

Fed with a fire hose - anything that overwhelms

No Duff - its real (wrong use: "no duff exercises", right use "no duff situation")

SLUG - Student learning under guidance

PLUG - anyone who fills a hole (also:pers learning under guidance)

"the hill"- can't tell you, or someone will have to _______

I heard this one from a US Solider.

PPCLI=  Please Protect Canada's Little Idiots
GGFG= Gustaf Gone For Good

And that is all I have for now. And I don't don't mean to offend anyone

:cdn:

Jesus nut/pin: the extremely important item on an aircraft that must not break; if it does...say, on a helo and you see your rotors departing the aircraft...the only thing you can say is "Jesus."

Jesus strap/bar: same as chicken strap/bar, but held onto much more tightly.  Often accompanied by a thumping noise as the passenger repeatedly stamps on their imaginary brakes.

Back