• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Olympic Results

The Gues-|- said:
Who is Sandu?
Figure skater,

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2006/02/16/1447211-cp.html

Sandhu, in stumbling in 13th, showed that it might be time he considered another line of work. He made too many mistakes to itemize. For a man who was seventh at the last world championships, the display was pitiful

"I haven't sorted it out," he said. "I don't know if I'll ever know why it happened."

Sandhu long ago said he felt he had the talent to become a world and Olympic champion, but he's never proved it. There have been isolated successes but, overall, he's too inconsistent to be taken seriously anymore.

He fell twice and popped out of two jumps Thursday. Go figure.

Oh, and he's also a model apparently..............and future Trivia Pursuit answer along with Lindsey Jacobellis.... ;D

Frankie said:
Figure skater,

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2006/02/16/1447211-cp.html

Sandhu, in stumbling in 13th, showed that it might be time he considered another line of work. He made too many mistakes to itemize. For a man who was seventh at the last world championships, the display was pitiful

"I haven't sorted it out," he said. "I don't know if I'll ever know why it happened."

Sandhu long ago said he felt he had the talent to become a world and Olympic champion, but he's never proved it. There have been isolated successes but, overall, he's too inconsistent to be taken seriously anymore.

He fell twice and popped out of two jumps Thursday. Go figure.

Oh, and he's also a model apparently

I saw a documentary on him, yes he's a model. He's actually an aspiring singer, who was doing a nauseating rendition of 'Purple Rain' during karaoke Night at the local pub. 'Nuff said.

How about that handbag by Lindsay Jacobellis?  If you haven't seen the replay of her crash, it was unbelievable.  Way out front in the snowboard cross, and tries a board grab on the last jump, in sight of the finish line, and crashes.  The Swiss boarder passes her as she's trying to get going.  I would have to say that was probably the most expensive mistake of this Olympics.  I'm watching the American coverage as I write this, and I have to say I admire the way she's taking it.  That really sucks; I've seen her a lot on tv this year and she seems like a really nice kid.  

Unlike Emmanuel Sandhu who I think is a no-talent punk.  I remember the hissy-fit he threw in 1998 because he didn't get selected.  Fer chrissakes son, suck it it already!  He doesn't have it to be the best.  Never did, never will. I hope this doesn't start a flame war with all the Sandhu fans who read this, but it's how I feel.   ;D

Elite athletes in this country are much like the military.  Chronically underfunded and under-supported by the government, they make do with what is available to them and go without a lot of the resources that are available to other countries.  The population professes great pride during major events when the country needs it's best athletes, but they are largely ignored in between.  And as with the military, many think that the athletes get too little government funding, others think they get too much.  Overall I think the Canadians have done pretty well.  

Also it's important to consider that while we are a northern country with long winters, in many sports we simply do not have the participant base that many other countries do, regardless of relative population size.  For example, when I was a ski jumper there were maybe 200 registered ski jumpers of all ages in Canada.  By comparison, Norway had 20,000.  Luge, bobsled, skeleton, nordic combined, and biathlon are also sports that have a very small participant base here in Canada to draw from.  Speed skating and cross country skiing are more popular, but they still have relatively small followings compared to other countries.  Both sports implemented grassroots development programs in the late 70s and early 80s, and the success we're seeing now is the result.  That leaves hockey, curling, alpine skiing, freestyle skiing, snowboarding, short track speed skating and figue skating, sports that all have strong followings in Canada.  And our athletes are medal threats in all of these sports.

As far as Vancouver goes, I don't think we will be embarrassed, but I don't think we will 'Own the Podium'.  Prior to the 1988 Olympics the implemented a four-year development program called the 'Best Ever' program.  It was good funding for the athletes, but four years of funding is too little too late.  Our athletes will do what they've always done; they'll prepare themselves the best they can to get the job done.  Kind of sounds like being a reservist, doesn't it?

GO CANADA!! :cdn: :salute:

I hate figure skating and think it should be thrown out of the Olympics. Period. No sport has suffered more controversy than figure skating what with judging, Tonya Harding, Russian organized crime involvement, men in tights ::) I know there are fans of it who are going to argue with me tooth and nail but I do not enjoy figure skating as a sport.

About anyone who wants to bash athletes at the games, Sandu aside ;D, I think you should put some thought into this: Are you there? Come on, did you just miss your invite? My point is that these men and women worked very hard to get there and some of them, when they got there, had a bad day. They are human just like you and I and we have bad days too. Is it disappointing? No doubt. Do you wish they had performed better? Of course. Does all this give you the right to slander them? Not on your frigging life.

I enjoy sport and sportsmanship. Look at the Norwegians giving us a ski pole. That story will be told for years, bet it gets told longer than stories of some athlete screwing the pooch at go time.

Scott said:
men in tights ::

Robin Hood wore tights.....
Yes we are proud, especially of our performance vs. The great hockey power of Switzerland... Go DiPietro.. ;)

Frankie said:
Robin Hood wore tights.....
Yes we are proud, especially of our performance vs. The great hockey power of Switzerland... Go DiPietro.. ;)

Fook the Swiss and their stupid red knives.  Actually I thought they played a helluva game, and their goalie was a wall.  I didn't think the officiating was very good though.

It was a good game, 1st and 2nd periods we were somewhat lacking...offence. But we picked up the tempo in the third, too late though after 2 tally's by Di Pietro in the 1st and 2nd. I can't actually believe we had 3 "goals" that were waved off or just completely robbed by Gerber.  He was standing on his head for most of the game.No big deal, apparently its "good for the sport" to have the best hockey nation stumble upon a little swiss team (2 Nhlers in all...both goalies! ). Heck it is not even the quarter finals. I'm sure Pat Quinn will have a little chat with the dispointed team tonight. GO CANADA GO! :cdn:

P.S. No medals today, unless you count disappointment (curling (men & women), skating, super G and of course Hockey...sigh
UBIQUE!!!!

Frankie said:
Did you see tha attachments popping out of his pads...????
Unreal :dontpanic:

:rofl:

Yeah that giant spoon that kept popping up to block shots...

Two silvers today! So far in Bobsled, and speed skating!

I couldn't believe my eyes yesturday though. Canada getting beat in hockey by Switzerland!! I personally thought that DiPietro and Gerber played a helluva game. Good on them.

GO CANADA GO!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/stories/headlines.shtml?/story/olympics/national/2006/02/19/Sports/sp_dopingagain20060219.html

Police raid finds doping materials
Last Updated: Sun Feb 19 22:24:06 EST 2006

Italian law enforcement authorities who raided the Olympic residences of Austria's biathlon and cross-country teams early Sunday, confirmed later in the day they had found equipment involved in illegal doping activities.

Among the discoveries was blood analysis equipment, as well as syringes, vials of distilled water, asthma medication and other substances, according to ANSA, the Italian news agency.

The announcement was just one in a day filled with emerging information about the case.

Also on Sunday, Walter Mayer, the banned coach whose presence at the Olympics set off the first-ever raid of athletes, was taken into custody after allegedly crashing into a police road block following a chase through the mountain roads near the Austria-Italy border.

Mayer was apparently on his way home, having slipped away from the raid of the Austrian team.

Meanwhile, BBC News reported the head of biathlon's international federation was claiming documents confirming a positive pre-Games drug test were missing.

"I have simply been told that documents were stolen," Anders Besseberg told the BBC.

It was not said whose test it was, or for what country the athlete competed. Canadian Dick Pound, head of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) said he was not aware of such a theft.

The Austrian ski federation confirmed two of the 10 competitors tested by the IOC following the police raid had been kicked off the team for going home without permission. The federation also announced it had ended its relationship with Mayer, effective immediately, giving the accident as the reason.

It was not clear why the federation was involved with Mayer, after he had been suspended by skiing's international governing body until 2015. The Olympic Organizing Committee banned him from Torino and the 2010 Vancouver Games, for doping violations at Salt Lake City in 2002.

Wolfgang Schuessel, the Austrian chancellor, weighed in on Sunday in an interview with ORF, the Austrian state broadcaster. He said he found it "completely infuriating that someone like Walter Mayer shows up [in Turin].

"Dozens of Austrian athletes have been preparing for their whole lives to reach this summit, and then something like this happens," he said.

On Saturday, as Italian authorities searched the local residences of the Austrian nordic team, the IOC conducted unannounced, out-of-competition tests on 10 Austrian athletes – six cross-country skiers and four biathletes.

"We never asked the Italian police to take action," IOC medical commission chief Arne Ljungqvist said. "We informed them that we would conduct testing on the evening of the 18th and they decided to take action at the same time."

Austrian skier Juergen Pinter said "We were surprised in our room. Suddenly, the police came in and didn't let us leave on the night before the competition.

"This happened without any positive result from doping control in the team. It's crazy."

"They checked every drink, every food, and they took a lot of stuff with them," Austrian spokesman Eric Wagner claimed. "They came around 9 and stayed until 12 and then took the athletes away to be tested."

Austria finished dead last in Sunday's 4x10-kilometre relay.

"They absolutely ruined the race," Austrian skier Martin Tauber said. "I was already a little bit tired yesterday."

Italian police were acting on a report by WADA.

Pound told the Associated Press on Saturday that doping control officers went to Austria to test athletes and, while they did not find who they were looking for, they did find blood doping equipment linked to Mayer.

"They [the Austrians] have been playing with fire in having an association with this guy," Pound said.

WADA officials later learned that Mayer was in Italy with the Austrian team.

"The fact he was in the same area as the athletes created quite some concern to us," Ljungqvist said.

Despite being banned by the IOC and skiing's international body, Mayer is still the head coach of the country's cross-country and the biathlon team.

Wagner confirmed Mayer had been at the Torino Games, in a private capacity, and in touch with the team as of Saturday.

"Why not? He's allowed to talk to anyone," Wagner said. "If he is with the team the whole year, why not now?"

Mayer coached the cross-country team to its first-ever medals in nordic skiing at the 1998 Nagano Olympics, and a gold in the relay at the 1999 worlds and two more medals at the Salt Lake Games in 2002.

But after blood-transfusion equipment was found in a chalet at 2002 Olympics, Mayer was banned for life by the International Ski Federation (FIS).

That was eventually lowered to 10 years, in 2005.

German chiropractor Volker Mueller, who prescribed the blood treatments, was also banned through 2010.

with files from Canadian Press, Associated Press and BBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/stories/headlines.shtml?/story/olympics/national/2006/02/19/Sports/sp_mayer20060219.html

Austrian coach crashes roadblock
Walter Mayer, the man whose appearance at the Torino Winter Olympic Games set off a raid by Italian police on the Austrian nordic ski team, has been taken into custody by Italian police after he allegedly took them on a chase through the mountains that ended with a crash into a police barrier.

Italian police took Mayer into protective custody after he allegedly tried to run a one-car road block while heading for the Austrian border.

Police earlier in the evening had approached a car in which a man was sleeping. The occupant, identified as Mayer by authorities, drove off, hitting and slightly injuring an officer, and authorities gave chase.

Mayer, himself, was reported to be slightly injured in the later incident, in which a car rammed an unoccupied police cruiser set up to block a road in the town of Paternion, in the province of Carinthia, about 24 kilometres from the Italian frontier, and 400 km from Turin.

He refused to take a sobriety test requested by the officers.

It was not known on Sunday evening if Mayer would face charges, or if a search was done of the vehicle. His license was provisionally suspended.

He was apparently returning to his home country, some hours after Italian authorities had launched their raid on the Austrian biathlon and cross-country team quarters, looking for banned substances and equipment.

Italian authorities said they had seized blood analysis equipment, as well as syringes, vials of distilled water, asthma medication and other substances, according to ANSA, the Italian news agency.

ANSA also reported that one athlete had thrown a bag out of a window of the residence during the raid that contained needles and medicines.

Mayer had been living in a house next door to the Austrian team's residence in the hamlet of San Sicario, said CBC News, on Sunday night. A BBC News report also said that Austrian officials had admitted Mayer was staying with the group.

Meanwhile, the Austrian Ski Federation said Sunday night it had ended its relationship with Mayer, giving the accident as the reason.

There was no indication as to why the Austrian federation had any kind of relationship in the first place with Mayer, who was on the the international ski federation's (FIS) banned list to 2015, and had been banned from the Torino and Vancouver 2010 Games by the IOC.

With files from Associated Press

Last Updated: Sun Feb 19 19:58:21 EST 2006

Italy and Canada are the only two countries who actually try to catch thier athletes.....The IOC thought they had the local LEO's in thier pockets,...I guess not. ;)

Does anyone else on here think watching Womans hockey is like watching paint dry? Or am I the only one?

2023 said:
Does anyone else on here think watching Womans hockey is like watching paint dry? Or am I the only one?

Kind of like inter-company floor hockey......

My sister is a hockey player (myself I prefer the dirt/grass sports) and I'm extremely impressed at how far along women's hockey has come, at the amateur level and as a result at higher levels.
A few years ago I watched a bunch of girls try hockey and it looked more like figure skating with foreign objects called sticks; the other day I watched a game and I was amazed at the progress the players and more importantly the program as a whole has made, I say more power to 'em.

I realize it was mainly the Austrian biathlon and cross country teams that appear to be involved, but if there are other members of the team (and I honestly hope not) involved it may have an affect on our overall medal standings.

We seem to have had a rash of fourth place finishes in the past few days and in many events we wee beaten to the podium by the Austrians. If any of these people are found to have been doping and lose their medal we move up.

Back