• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Ranger Killed

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian Ranger killed in Nunavut

CBC News
18 Feb 2013 5:58 PM CST
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2013/02/18/nunavut-canadian-ranger-fatality-gjoa-haven.html

RCMP have confirmed that a Canadian Ranger has died in Gjoa Haven, Nunavut.

The man was taking part in a Ranger exercise happening in the area. Police say speed was a factor.

There will be no criminal investigation. The Canadian Forces have yet to release a statement and may be conducting an investigation.

Condolences to family, colleagues and friends ....  :salute:

From the PM ....
Prime Minister Stephen Harper today issued the following statement after learning of the death of Canadian Ranger Corporal Donald Anguyoak during a training exercise near Gjoa Haven, Nunavut.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Corporal Donald Anguyoak, who lost his life in a snowmobile accident during Exercise Polar Passage, part of the Canadian Ranger Ocean Watch program monitoring snow and ice conditions along the Northwest Passage.

“This is a stark reminder of the very real dangers that the Canadian Rangers and other members of the Canadian Armed Forces face regularly while promoting national security and exercising sovereignty in our harsh northern territories.

“Corporal Anguyoak’s sacrifice in the name of defending his country will be honoured and remembered.”

The Canadian Rangers, who are part of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve, provide patrols and detachments for national security and public safety missions in sparsely settled northern, coastal and isolated areas of Canada.

A bit more info from DND ....
A Canadian Ranger died in a snowmobile accident on Sunday, February 17, about 24 kilometres southwest of Gjoa Haven, Nunavut, during Exercise Polar Passage.

Corporal Donald Anguyoak was a member of the Gjoa Haven Ranger Patrol, which is part of 1 Canadian Ranger Patrol Group. He was on duty at the time of the accident, acting as lead scout for the Gjoa Haven Canadian Ranger Patrol.

( .... )

A thorough investigation will be conducted to determine the cause and any factors that contributed to this accident. As a result, no further details will be released in connection with the circumstances surrounding the fatality at this time.

The Canadian Rangers are an important part of the Canadian Armed Forces as they are highly skilled Reserve members who are experienced in Arctic survival and are deployed whenever the military operates in the North.

Exercise Polar Passage is a Canadian Ranger exercise involving multiple Ranger patrols.  The exercise continues in the Northwest Passage until March 3, in order to exercise sovereignty, increase situational awareness and support Government of Canada initiatives in the region. This exercise also incorporates the Canadian Ranger Ocean Watch program which is a collaboration between Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Department of National Defence to establish sustainable environmental monitoring.

..... and condolences from the Minister:
The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today issued the following statement on the death of Corporal Donald Anguyoak:

“It is with profound sadness that I learned of the death of Corporal Donald Anguyoak, a member of the Canadian Rangers who died Sunday while on exercise near Gjoa Haven, Nunavut. Corporal Anguyoak was killed in an unfortunate snowmobile accident while acting as lead scout for his Ranger patrol during Exercise Polar Passage.

“I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

“The Canadian Rangers, a sub-component of the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve, protect Canada’s sovereignty in sparsely settled northern, coastal and isolated areas of Canada. They are dedicated, knowledgeable members of the Army and reflect the diversity of the communities to which they belong.

“Corporal Anguyoak deserves the gratitude and respect of his nation. His loss will be profoundly felt by the Canadian Armed Forces family and his community.”

RIP
Condolences to family, colleagues and friends
:salute:
:cdn:

Message from His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the Death of Corporal Donald Anguyoak
Governor General of Canada

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Feb. 19, 2013) - My wife, Sharon, and I were saddened to learn of the death of Canadian Ranger Corporal Donald Anguyoak, following a snowmobile accident that occurred during Exercise Polar Passage, in Gjoa Haven, Nunavut.

The Canadian Rangers comprise an impressive and dedicated segment of our Canadian Forces. Its members serve an invaluable purpose, defending Canada's sovereignty in our nation's most remote areas.

On behalf of all Canadians, I offer the family, friends and colleagues of Corporal Anguyoak my sympathies on this terrible loss.

David Johnston

RIP, it's surprising that more Rangers have not died on duty considering the environment most work in.

Back