• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Submarine Capabilites (What can they do? Do we need them?)

Probably not but if they are putting in AIP for Arctic ops its only common sense that they will ice strengthen the sail, well at least I hope it is.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but apparently the first sub from the brits is at sea.  Also shows the potential reasons for us having subs...  12Alpha, you reading this?

http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns_submarine20040929

T

I saw that today in the Halifax paper, it's been in the Maple Leaf for a few weeks now. There's still no torps on it but that'll come.

Cheers

I guess the east coast is working on navigation/detection, and the west coast is working on weapons systems..  Long as they get there...  :)

Tim

Let's just say that if your nickname was Marty "the ball kicker", 12alfa wouldn't feel the need to wear a cup since you hadn't kicked him in the balls yet.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/19630.0.html

Have a read of that and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers

Damn you Inch!!! It could be the sleep deprivation talking but that was one of the funniest comments I've read on these here boards.  I just burst out laughing, and I'm in the middle of Trent's library (full with a bunch of people who just looked at me like I was insane!)

Okay back to business.
Which sub was it that had the dent the size of a pizza, and what's going to happen to it?  For some reason the voice in the back of my head is saying that all we did was reduce its max diving depth?

Sheerin said:
Okay back to business.
Which sub was it that had the dent the size of a pizza, and what's going to happen to it?  For some reason the voice in the back of my head is saying that all we did was reduce its max diving depth?

HMCS Victoria...  She's active in the pacific (first canadian pacific sub since 1974) and is listed with a diving depth of 200m, which is the same as the other ones.  I believe that the Brits and the Canucks fixed the dent..  Hard to find info on the specifics.  :)

T

Vic Class sails are fiberglass, about an inch thick. Full of de-laminations and air bubbles. I wouldn't want to break ice with 'em.
Ain't no upgrade gonna' fix that either...

Fibreglass which is reinforced with steel. The idea is not to break through thick ice but if needed to surface in ice, to surface in minor sea ice.

Ex-Dragoon , do you know if the hydroplanes can be retracted?

latly people have been posting things that say that the submarines we bought from the british arnt good.

but the truth is that they are , the canadian navy wouldent put the mens life on the line like that and the fire was just probly a  mechanical malfuntion or something like that, just because  the subs are old and look like something that belongs in the junkyard  dosent mean that they are nnot safe and sea wearthy.

regards:matthew :cdn:

Umm, why would you say the Vics look like they belong in a junkyard? 

Well we have them now except for one and unless the government is willing to buy us four new subs like the u212 or 14 from germany i don't see any other option.  We are going to have to live with what we have and take the lumps.  It is that or not having an subs which do you want.

cheers.

Back