• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian "Support Our Troops" Ribbons, Bracelets, Pins, etc

Hi all, I saw a very nice mag SOT today and I want one.  I've heard it's the one from Gagetown, seeing as it was one a truck with NB tags.  It's rectangular, red, has "...if you don't stand behind our troops,please feel free to stand in front of them" across the yellow ribbon.  Has anyone in Ontario seen them anywhere?  OR how can I get one from Gagetown?  My van is starting to look like a hippee-support the troops-travelling-colour guard-ribbon covered-magical mystery tour. {sorry, couldn't help myself}    8)

There is a sticker you can purchase from the Sapper Mike Mcteague wounded warrior fund that says exactly that. 100% of profits to the fund!

This letter to the editor was in a local Red Deer newpaper, had the person in question done a little research they would see that the money does go to support the soldiers, unlike what he/she seems to think...  http://www.reddeerexpress.com/express/edition03/opinion-003.html 

»  LETTERS TO THE EDITOR  «
Do more than wear red for our troops

05/30/07

I would like to write in response to the picture ‘Support From Home’, which was in the April 4 Express.

The caption under the picture said that emergency services across the nation will be wearing single red epaulette on the left shoulder of their uniform every Friday in support of Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

This makes me wonder… what about the emergency personnel who don’t support the war or the presence of Canadian troops in Afghanistan?

Will they be forced to wear a red epaulette as a matter of policy? What if they don’t? Will they face disciplinary action? Be harassed by co workers? Told that they are disloyal and unpatriotic?

And, what does wearing a red epaulette or any kind of ‘Support Our Troops’ garb prove? It is merely a matter of outward decorum- it doesn’t do anything for anybody. It does not help any of our soldiers.

‘Support Our Troops’ pins, magnets, bumper stickers- they are just a way to state personal political opinion.

As an actual show of any kind of loyalty, care, or patriotism, it is purely pretentious, as it is devoid of any kind of action.

It’s the most apathetic type of support possible, equivalent to wearing a pin that says ‘I Help African Orphans’, without once in your life sending a cent to Africa or lifting a finger.

If you wear red on Friday or have a ‘Support Our Troops’ bumper sticker as an outward show of your political beliefs, fine, but don’t think that your bumper sticker is having the slightest effect on a soldier who’s just lost both hands, on a soldier who is mind-numbed from the horror of having seen someone cut in half by machine-gun fire, or on a soldier who is dead because he wasn’t provided with the proper body armour.

A quote by Jodi Williams, Nobel Laureate, states: “Tears without action are wasted sentiment.”

I would hold that a ‘Support Our Troops’ bumper sticker or anything in kind is an absolutely worthless measure of patriotism or support.

If you really care, do something.

Take action.

Find out what you can do, for injured soldiers, for traumatized soldiers, for soldiers with inadequate armour and weapons.

Become an advocate.

Don’t just wear a pin, don’t just send a get well card.

Do something with lasting effects. Become a positive force for change.

Otherwise, please don’t even bother wearing red or putting that bumper sticker on your car because it will only be a lie.

C. Fischer,
Red Deer

RangerRay said:
Where are these epaulettes available from?

I hadn't heard of them until this letter, but I would assume the fire dept would just go to a local Tailor and ask for them to be made, maybe take an existing, non red, one in as a template

Well ... just yesterday i was driving, then i saw this car with that sticker on the bumper... and i really wanted to know where i could get one.... does n e one know>?

emilie92 said:
Well ... just yesterday i was driving, then i saw this car with that sticker on the bumper... and i really wanted to know where i could get one.... does n e one know>?

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

MSN and ICQ "short hand"http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33247.0.html

Regarding the use of "MSN speak" versus the employment of prose which is correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, please see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34015/post-260446.html#msg260446

Tone and Content on Army.ca: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/51970.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Then perhaps if you go back and read this topic you will find all the links and information you actually require to find those bumper stickers.

::)

George Wallace said:
Then perhaps if you go back and read this topic you will find all the links and information you actually require to find those bumper stickers.

::)

Yeah what he said, beat me to it haha  ;D

Sorry if this is a bit too much thread necromancy for you guys, but I've been unable to find the ribbons/pins at any kind of civilian outlet. I know you can get them in person/on-line from the MFRC or the Canex, but I don't live close to either of them, and I'm still a civilian.  I have some civilian friends who'd like to procure some through a convenient means. I really think these should be distributed in plain view in civilian shops, right where the troop-supporting public can see them.

So does anyone know of any Civilian dealers in the Montréal Region?

I don't get it, what's wrong with getting them on-line through the MFRC? You obviously know that because you wrote it right there. I ordered a whole whack of stuff from them and they arrived pretty quickly!

Snaketnk said:
Sorry if this is a bit too much thread necromancy for you guys, but I've been unable to find the ribbons/pins at any kind of civilian outlet. I know you can get them in person/on-line from the MFRC or the Canex, but I don't live close to either of them, and I'm still a civilian.  I have some civilian friends who'd like to procure some through a convenient means. I really think these should be distributed in plain view in civilian shops, right where the troop-supporting public can see them.

You do know that anyone can shop at the Canex, right? 

actually, I had no idea. I used to shop there as a kid, but I always assumed it was for Military and family of military (being located on the base and all, I don't remember ever seeing civvies in there, except in the restaurant, because we had the best damned burgers in all of Wainwright!)

The reason I asked for a civilian "hands on" outlet is because I figure they'll have some in the Canex at St-Jean, and seeing as I'm going for BMQ in just over a week, I could just pick some up there and bring 'em back on my first weekend of leave; which would be about as long as waiting for shipping minus the cost. I was hoping there would be a place I could go pick a few up on a whim not too far away. Oh well, a little waiting never hurt.

The point remains that I think it should be a lot more visible to Civilians though; have them on sale in Deps and stuff. I've seen support the troops merchandise at truck stops in the maritimes, but never in a civilian business in Québec

Well I think Canadian Tire had em for a bit, but I haven't seen them myself. I think it's a great idea to have more exposure to the public, however, it's the businesses themselves who'd have to want to carry them. SO maybe you can approach some of the businesses in your local area and ask them if they support their troops, and if they'd like to carry some Support Our Troops merchandise and sell it. It just depends on where you're from that's all  :)

I've bought a set of 2 at Canadian Tire last week. But the price vary from one Canadian Tire to another. The first one I went only add a set with a ribbon missing, and it was 14.99$. I went to another one and the ribbons were 7.99$.

The ribbons are supposed to be arid CADPAT, but it was all blurry; you couldn't see any squares. Is it a printing issue?

What section of Canadian Tire did you see them? I've never happened upon then...

That's too bad that batch didn't turn out good. I have seen really goof AR ones, where the squares look sharp and gave the overall effect of chocolate chip cookie dough ;D mmmm cookie dough. Anyways, I guess it's just where you get them from. I would definitely not suggest that you.leave you ribbons on when or if you go through the car wash. They either go missing or, they have a tendency to lose colour and so forth.

Snaketnk said:
What section of Canadian Tire did you see them? I've never happened upon then...

They were with the car stickers in the automotive section, with all those "Pimp my ride" stuff.  ;D

Snaketnk said:
... except in the restaurant, because we had the best damned burgers in all of Wainwright!)

- Closed now.  The girl quit to work at the Tim Hortons that (finally) opened in the Town of Wainwright.  CANEX can't find a replacement for her.

TCBF said:
- Closed now.  The girl quit to work at the Tim Hortons that (finally) opened in the Town of Wainwright.  CANEX can't find a replacement for her.

You just killed my childhood.

Back