• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian troops kill plain clothes Afghan police officer, injure six others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so friendly fire.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060813/friendly_fire_0600826/20060826?hub=TopStories

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Canadian troops kill Afghan police officer, injure six others
Donald McArthur, CanWest News Service, 26 Aug 06

Canadian troops shot and killed an Afghan national police officer and injured four others Saturday and then shot and injured two other officers riding a scooter 40 minutes later in an incident reminiscent of the fatal shooting of a young Afghan boy by a Canadian soldier Tuesday.

The firefight began about 12:20 p.m., about 25 kilometres west of Kandahar City, when armed Afghan police officers in plainclothes "rapidly approached" a Canadian artillery position and "failed to heed" repeated warnings to stop, said Col. Fred Lewis, deputy commander of Task Force Afghanistan.

"It is believed that the persons in the civilian vehicle opened fire in response to warning shots fired by the Canadians. It was at this time that Canadian soldiers returned fire on the vehicle and its six occupants," said Lewis.

Troops didn't recognize the truck's occupants as police officers in plainclothes because "neither their vehicle nor their immediate appearance readily identified them as such."

Forty minutes after the fatal shooting, two plainclothes officers riding a scooter approached the same Canadian position and were shot at after ignoring warnings that including warning fire, said Lewis.

One was wounded by a single gun shot and it is unclear how the other officer was injured. There were no Canadian casualties in either incident.

"It would appear Canadian soldiers reacted in self-defence in both incidents," said Lewis. "We share an extremely close and professional working relationship with the Afghan national police and deeply regret the incident."

On Tuesday, a single bullet fired by a Canadian soldier killed a young Afghan boy and injured another about two hours after a Canadian soldier was killed and three injured in a suicide bombing in Kandahar.

The military said the two civilians had approached a Canadian security cordon at a high rate of speed and ignored warning shots before the fatal shot was fired.

That incident and Sunday's incidents will be investigated by Canada's Military Intelligence Service, an independent and internal body.

Windsor Stara single bullet fired by a Canadian soldier killed a young Afghan boy and injured another about two hours after a Canadian soldier was killed and three injured in a suicide bombing in Kandahar.

News flash, people... if an plainclothes Police Officer is involved in a violent incident that uniformed members are going to respond to, you can bet he or she will be having credentials out, and NO WEAPON IN HAND when the uniformed members arrive. 

I'll admit that the complete facts may not be known at this point, but this needs to be said.  The soldiers in the sandbox are doing a superb job right now, and they are acting in self defence.  Here's a tip for those who may feel it's a good idea to say, do this:

1.  Drive into a perimeter where a suicide bomber has already killed Canadian's, despite several warnings not to.
2.  Load a bunch of native Police Officers into a civilian vehicle, wearing civilian clothes, arm them, and drive like a bat out of hell towards a defensive position, again, despite several warnings.
3.  See point 2, after being properly engaged by Canadian soldiers, shoot back instead of throwing down your arms.

The advise is this.  DON'T.

My two cents.... keep doing a good job guys.  If at the end of the day it means that someone else doesn't go home, but you do, so be it.

Its sad, but I know Canadians where acting properly. Too bad good men rebuilding Afghanistan had to die, but things like that happen.  :salute: to Canadian troops, and RIP to the Afghani policemen.

rz350 said:
Too bad good men rebuilding Afghanistan had to die
As much as I would like too agree with you I can't.  Every single time we had too work with the ANP on an op we regreted it every time.  They are some of the most corrupt pieces of crap that you will ever meet, they go into the villages and steal from their own people, we CONSTANTLY had too tell them not too leave the perimiter or we would kill them, and they still did it.  We did a clearance of a villiage at one point, and we had detained one person who was acting very suspect, so we called the ANP over too interegate him.  They decided too let him go so the kid could make lunch for them.  Thats no rumour that was message sent back too my OC over the net.  The ANP in this incident deserved too get shot, and the Canadians should be given our support, and not getting roasted my  a media that really dosen't know a damn thing about what's really going on over there.

So eloquently put Blackhorse7, right to the point, no sugar coating it. Keep up the good work boys, don't let a few incidents like this ruin your resolve, we are all behind you 100%! :cdn: :salute: Cheers!

Thanks Irish... two days back from AOL and my true nature is right back.  But like I said, we come home first.  Everyone else is a distant second.

Patricia13 said:
As much as I would like too agree with you I can't. .

Your absolutely right. And it sounds like some of them are not too swift either.

Cheers.

Seems there is a bit more news out on the subject...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060813/afghanistan_friendly_fire_060827/20060827?hub=TopStories

Suggest we treat this the same as we would any other incident...wait for the investigation to finish.

Strike said:
Suggest we treat this the same as we would any other incident...wait for the investigation to finish.

+1.  Let the NIS sort it out and do not feed the monkeys.

Strike said:
Seems there is a bit more news out on the subject...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060813/afghanistan_friendly_fire_060827/20060827?hub=TopStories

Yes, that would be a fair assumption.

But just a interesting note: The sample Toyota pickup recently shown on TV, has elaborate racing strips and decals. Then the word or sign Police on the door, (its hard to read even in that view. I'd hate to have to distinguish it at a odd angle and hurtling at me at 50 MPH). I still maintain some of them are not to swift, especially who ever designs or paints their Police Vehicles.

I just hope our Boys are not hung out to dry for the sake of Public Opinion.

In today's news they are showing the Toyota with Police written all over it. When the story originally came out, they were showing the standard white Toyota driven over there.

Yeah the police, if thats what you can call them, have the decals , but if the vehicle is coming towards you its really hard to see the POLICE on the hood or the sides. Then again the taliban don't drive around Kandahar in trucks with armed guys in the back either so....

well... police vehicles can be stolen just as easily over there as over here.......
if the nice man gives you instructions to slow down &/or stop, do yourself a favor and STOP.

And for heaven's sake.... don't shoot back!!!!!

Unless anyone has anything substantive to add this topic is locked.

As we have said it before:

We need to emphasize that nobody here has sufficient information to assess the action of troops on the ground, and that baseless negative speculation & uninformed analysis can only serve to undermine the mission & erode moral.

Regards

edit: for clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back