• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians in Vietnam

First, my sympathies for your loss.  Obviously you loved your uncle.

However, the chances of your description of his service being accurate is about as high as mine are of being PM of Canada (here's a hint, i'm a Yank, so it ain't happening).

As an advisor, he would not have been a driver.  Advisory teams were not staffed with administrative or support personnel for the advisory team's internal needs. 

Secondly, no non-SOG personnel ever made a combat jump into North Vietnam (Hanoi is in the former North Vietnam, which was the Peoples' Democratic Republic of Vietnam prior to 1975 and with the collapse of the South Vietnamese Republic of Vietnam in 1975 the entire country became the PDRVN).  To be in SOG and have made a combat jump into North Vietnam he would have had to have been in such a select group of highly qualified, extremely experienced Special Forces non-commissioned officers that he would have literally been one of a dozen. 

NO SOG operations were conducted into Hanoi.

There were several Special Forces combat jumps into South Vietnam (the Republic of Vietnam).  There was one conventional unit (airborne unit) combat jump in South Vietnam (OPERATION JUNCTION CITY). 

No armored cavalry or armored engineer units participated in these airborne operations (combat jumps) as airborne units.  Cavalry units in the US Army at the time were either armored cavalry, air cavalry (helicopter reconnaissance and attack helicopter) or infantry units in the 1st Cavalry Division that bore a historical designation as cavalry (as in "We Were Soldiers").

The US Army's standard tour in the Republic of Vietnam (RVN) was 12 months (one year).  This could be extended to 18 months by volunteering for an extension.  Personnel were required to spend a minimum of one year in CONUS (continental US) between overseas tours.

Some personnel did repeatedly extend their incountry tour but it was on a by-exception basis.  To serve 8 consecutive years beginning in 1963 means serving in RVN until 1971.  The chance of a soldier doing a tour and 14 extensions is so low as to not exist.

So a number of items as described do not add up.

Thanks for the supporting fire ODA 564.

rocky1fac, your story is so full of shit that it is leaking out at the seams.   Regardless of what your real story is, you've been a pain in the ass around here - this "Jumping into Hanoi" crap (hmmm....jumping into the most dense Air Defence system in history, ok) is over the top.

You can join TACSIT on the busride outta here.

Bye bye, troll.

ODA 564 - why do you say "14 extensions"?  Tours of duty in Vietnam were 12 months for Army personnel and 13 months for USMC personnel, no?  wouldn't that be 7 extensions?  It is Canadians who only do 6 month tours of duty.

Extensions of tours during Vietnam were in 6 months on top of your normal tour.

Infanteer said:
Thanks for the supporting fire ODA 564.

rocky1fac, your story is so full of shit that it is leaking out at the seams.  

In fact my eyes turned brown reading it. Hanoi. Man, thats a new high in low for poser stories yet.

Cheers,

Wes

My father served in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade(only for a few months) than he went to Charlie Company, Airborne Ranger, 75th, did one tour with two extensions. Served in the US Army from 1968-1973, left the Army as a E-5 Sergeant, earned the combat infantrymans badge, jump wings, bronze star, etc.

ODA 564, the only combat jump during the Vietnam War was made by the 173rd Airborne Brigade in 1967 as part of Operation Juncition City, I've never heard/seen anything on Special Forces soldiers making parachute jumps in the war.

MikeL said:
My father served in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade(only for a few months) than he went to Charlie Company, Airborne Ranger, 75th, did one tour with two extensions. Served in the US Army from 1968-1973, left the Army as a E-5 Sergeant, earned the combat infantrymans badge, jump wings, bronze star, etc.

ODA 564, the only combat jump during the Vietnam War was made by the 173rd Airborne Brigade in 1967 as part of Operation Juncition City, I've never heard/seen anything on Special Forces soldiers making parachute jumps in the war.

Just because you dont know about it dont mean it didnt happen. Here's a few for ya. More if you want em.

Date: 13 May 1967 Unit: Mobile Strike Force (Mike Force), 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne): Detachment A-503, Co's. 3, 4 & 5; 4.2 inch Heavy Mortar platoon & Hdqts. group. Water jump (0600 hrs.) at 700 ft.
Operation: Blackjack
Troopers: 486
Drop zone: Seven Mountains ( Near Chi Lang, 1km S of Nuai Yai) Aircraft: C-123 Providers
Type Air delivery: Day Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump

Date: 5 October 1967
Unit: 5th Special Force Group (ABN), 1st Special Forces: Pathfinder Detachment (12 SF, 37 ARVN Pathfinders), Co's 24 & 25, Detachment B-20, "B" Co II CTZ (Pleiku) Mike Force (50 SF) & 275 LLDB (Includes Montagnards)
Operation: Blue Max
Troopers: 374 with ARVN and Aussie Paras
Drop zone: Bu Prang CIDG fighting camp, Quang Duc "Great Virtue" Province
Aircraft: C-130 Hercules
Type Air delivery: Day Mass low-level tactical personnel static-line jump

Date: 1968-73?
Unit: Military Assistance Command Vietnam, Studies and Observations Group (MACV-SOG)Airborne Studies Group (SOG 36)
Operation: Eldest Son, Italian Green, Pole Bean
Troopers: ? to sabotage enemy ammunition supply
Drop zone: ?
Aircraft: C-130 Hercules or MC-130 Combat Talon
Type Air delivery: Night, High-Altitude, Low-Opening (HALO) jump

Date: Three in 1970-71
Unit: Op 35, Command & Control North (CCN), Studies & Observation Group (SOG), High Altitude Low Opening team (HALO). Formerly classified.
Troopers: Country: North Vietnam Drop Zones: Ho Chi Minh Trail Aircraft: C-130 Hercules Type Air delivery: Night High Altitude Low-Opening (HALO)jump Jumped at 21,000 feet with oxygen, between 0001-0300 hours. Objective to close the Ho Chi Minh trail to NVA by calling in air strikes. Individually extracted by V rings on STABO harnesses worn by team members by helicopter lowering ropes/bridles using the STABO(Stabilized Tactical Airborne Operation) system.
Operation: Team Florida. 9 troopers. Nov. 1970
Operation: Team Alaska. 9 troopers. Feb. 1971
Operation: Team One Zero. 4 troopers. 15 April 1971
Also 13 separate static-line jumps.

Welcome Sharky.

How about filling in some of your profile.

Regards,

Wes

Thanks and again welcome to the site.

Regards from Queensland,

Wes

Welcome to all our friends from SOCNET. This can only make me lazier  ;D , I don't even have to switch between sites anymore!

Filled mine in too.

Sorry to have just dropped in.  Hard to be polite in a poseur fire mission.

And as noted above, a tour extension in RVN was six (6) months.

Sharky gave some details of some of the SF combat jumps in Southeast Asia.

Wesley H. Allen said:
Welcome Sharky.
How about filling in some of your profile.
Regards,
Wes
think "Infanteer", except short-tempered! 
;D

Sharky said:
Just because you dont know about it dont mean it didnt happen. Here's a few for ya. More if you want em.

Didn't mean to come off saying they never happened, just that I've never heard/read of any, an if people post up stuff without any more info on it I kinda doubt it, like just saying MACV-SOG made jumps into Vietnam an leaving it at that is kinda vague, etc.  Thanks for posting the info on the SF drops.

My apologies to every one.  This is still touchy as there is still ghosts there.  It comes back when some of us get to look back.  Even when you try to put it behind, it still haunts.  The times were different, & we were welcomed home as "Baby Killers". A lot different from the welcome home you younger generations get & deserve!  We served in a war that was unpopular & very restricted as to conduct in some cases.

Then as now you did not know whether your enemy was at your elbow or down range.

Also see-ing an old friend with major health problems from there also triggers some resentment.

Again my apologies for my comments.

Wes; hope the move went well.

Cheers

Well, it seems that my request for support from our neighbours at SOCNET came through.  Thanks for stopping by the neighbourhood, eh.

MikeL said:
Didn't mean to come off saying they never happened, just that I've never heard/read of any, an if people post up stuff without any more info on it I kinda doubt it, like just saying MACV-SOG made jumps into Vietnam an leaving it at that is kinda vague, etc.  Thanks for posting the info on the SF drops.

Mike.....no blood, no foul. It's good to be a bit sceptical on here, as I'm sure you dont need me to tell ya. It just came across as, ODA564 made the statement that it happened. Your statement said that it did not happen. You see where that leads I'm sure. At any rate, no harm done.

My best to your father. One of my best friends was with C/75 in RVN. By all accounts they were some bad motherfuckers. Good book out there about them also if you didnt know it.

Back