• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadians killed at 'disproportionately' higher rate than NATO allies: report

1Good_Woman

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/09/18/report-soldiers.html

Canadians killed at 'disproportionately' higher rate than NATO allies: report
Last Updated Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:43:49 EDT
CBC News
Canadian troops in Afghanistan are three times more likely to be killed by hostile activities than a British counterpart and 4½ times more likely than an American, a study says.

"Canadian Forces are incurring a disproportionately heavy burden of casualties among coalition forces in Afghanistan," said a news release that accompanied the release of the report on Monday by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.

The study from the non-profit research organization also suggests that Canadian troops are six times more likely to be killed than U.S. troops in Iraq.

The report finds that apart from the United States, more Canadians have been died in hostile action than any of the other 46 countries that have contributed to the NATO force.

From the time Canada began the mission in early 2001 to Sept. 8, 2006, it had suffered 27 military deaths from hostile action out of a total of 71 non-U.S. deaths — a ratio of two Canadians for every five deaths.

Further, the researchers calculate that since February, Canadian troops accounted for 43 per cent of the non-American deaths on the Afghan mission: 20 of 47 deaths.

In comparison, Germany — which, like Canada, has slightly more than 2,000 troops in Afghanistan — has suffered no deaths from hostile action since February and only six since 2001.

Is government ignoring dangers, researchers ask

The report's researchers, Bill Robinson and Steven Staples, repeatedly criticize the federal government's decision to have the Canadian troops shift their focus from reconstruction around Kabul to counterinsurgency efforts in and around the southern city of Kandahar.

The redefined mission was approved by the Liberal government under Prime Minister Paul Martin in 2005 and then extended by the Tory government under Stephen Harper in 2006.

"As we examined the troubling data, the question arose as to whether the Liberals misjudged the danger, and if the Conservatives ignored it," Staples said in the news release that accompanied the report, Canada's Fallen: Understanding Canadian Military Deaths in Afghanistan.

108 more Canadians will die, report predicts

The study also averages the number of casualties incurred and projects that average over the remainder of the mission to January 2009.

It predicts there will be another 108 deaths during that timeframe.

The researchers used to a formula to calculate the death rate per soldier.

It takes the number of soldiers who were killed serving in Afghanistan from Feb. 24, 2006 — the day major military operations began in the Kandahar region — to Sept. 8.

It then divides that by the number of soldiers who were deployed by the country, multiplies it by the days they've spent on the mission and divides it by the number of days in a year.

The Canadian study echoes some of the findings of a similar British report that came out earlier in the month.

::) Well since the Germans sit on their ass in Kabul its not a shock at all.

Similarily Edward Campbell (and others) have pointed out that the Kandahar AOR was due to our apathy and tardiness.

Furthermore as one who has served in Afghan as both CF and PMC, that Staples 108 number is retarded.  This article is written by fools for fools.

apples and oranges, the germans are not in Kandahar...

more trash from the same source, serving no other purpose than shit disturbing...

Study Link
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/Reports/2006/09/CanadasFallen/index.cfm?pa=BB736455

News Rls
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/index.cfm?act=news&call=1435&pa=BB736455&do=Article

"CANADA’S FALLEN:  Understanding Canadian Military Deaths in Afghanistan"
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/documents/National_Office_Pubs/2006/Canadas_Fallen.pdf

Summary:

• After the United States, Canada has sustained the highest number of military deaths as a result of hostile actions in Afghanistan since the original invasion in 2001 (27 of 244).
• Since February 2006, when our troops began operations in Kandahar, Canada has sustained 43% of all military deaths among U.S. allies in the coalition (20 of 47 non-U.S. deaths).
• When adjusted for the relative size of troop commitments, a Canadian soldier in Kandahar is nearly three times more likely to be killed in hostile action than a British soldier, and four-and-a-half times more likely than an American soldier in Afghanistan.
• A Canadian soldier in Kandahar is still nearly six times more likely to die in hostilities than a U.S. soldier serving in Iraq.
• If the current rate of military deaths since February 2006 were to remain unchanged until the end of the mission in January 2009, the Canadian military would sustain another 108 military deaths, bringing the total number of military deaths for Afghanistan to 140, or
four times higher than what is today.

Questions
• Why are Canadian troops suffering a disproportionately higher number of military deaths than our NATO allies?
• Were casualty estimates provided by the Department of National Defence to the Liberal government of Paul Martin, as suggested by Senator Colin Kenny and Colonel Steve Noonan, and were new estimates provided to the current Conservative government of Stephen Harper? If so, what was the estimated number of deaths?

This "research organization" has an agenda and in one article I saw is described as being leftist. That said Canadians do not have a 43% higher chance of getting killed than a US soldier in Iraq. Why not compare combat deaths to US losses in Afghanistan ? In Iraq we have lost 39 soldiers/marines/navy so far this month.
The purpose of this article is to scare Canadians into forcing the government to withdraw from Afghanistan.

My guess would be that based on numbers, the proportions are higher.  Also we are engaging in more combat than before.  casualties were always expected.  This kind of reporting and assessment can be dangerous though, to overall morale and especially for the families back home.

Only a matter of time before Jack and the NDP get a hold of this report written by experts as a "justification" for their party's stance on the conflict.

Wait for it......wait for it.....

Yawn...

More of what can only be described as fun with statistics. 

Scare tactics from the left, plain and simple.

There are three types of lies:  Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Steven Staples is a name that i've grown to loathe.  The guy is a wrong.

Body counts are poor indicators (especially a counterinsurgency) and bad for planning strategy, no matter what said strategy is.  Stephen Staples, being an analyst, should know better.  :tsktsk:

Infanteer said:
  Stephen Staples, being an analyst, should know better. 
Stephen Staples, having an agenda, does know better but chooses to ignore unfortunate facts.

Sheerin said:
There are three types of lies:  Lies, damned lies and statistics.

I was just about to post this.

The numbers are manipulated statistics and the article is sensationalistic bullshit. Oh, and I love the "108 more will die" line. With his prescient predictive abilities, this guy should be playing the lottery not writing for newspapers  ::)

More fun with numbers from the left...

When a country like Canada steps up to the challenge and takes on a greater share of the 'fighting' and actually going outside the wire of our camps than,*ahem* some European coalition contributors, they take on a greater share of casualties one could assume.

All of which was pointed out to the Canadian Public by Gen Hiller in the pre-Tory days.

Nothing's changed here, statisticlly speaking, only the way they play with the numbers. Lots of coalition countries over there don't leave their wire, unless of course 'for defensive roles' as per their ROEs (not the soldier's choice but rather a political one)....perhaps the authors of the latest statistics should refrain from using those nations in their counts. What a way to skew the stats of casualties...

Now for those brave Canadian men and women who proudly wear this Nation's uniform and honourably and bravely leave the comfort of their wire each day to go out and get the job done at great risk to themselves...

I say BRAVO. You are the heros. You are the ones who deserve our whole-hearted support. You have mine.  

http://antiwar.com/casualties/

338 American Deaths in the sandbox

uh huh...  compared to our 38?

Well since the Germans sit on their *** in Kabul its not a shock at all.

Funny you should say that.  I was speaking with a German soldier last week about Afghanistan.  He was under the impression that the only reason the North was safe was because of the "fear" the German soldiers inflicted on the Taliban..

Lost_Warrior said:
Funny you should say that.  I was speaking with a German soldier last week about Afghanistan.  He was under the impression that the only reason the North was safe was because of the "fear" the German soldiers inflicted on the Taliban..
Funniest. Post. Ever.

Lost_Warrior said:

Was he serious or drunk?

Beats me.  It was on a global armed forces message board.  I can't even confirm if this guy was in the army, let alone deployed or not.  I could only go on what he "said" and quite frankly I wasn't in the mood for an argument, so I just let him talk...  ::)

This is laughable.  Of course, the media, in their all too familiar laziness and quest for a "story", has run with this in a big way - to the point where it is headline news here in Edmonton.

Once again, Staples has succeeded in selling his propaganda as "analysis" to an unquestioning, scandal-hungry media.  I don't blame him so much as I do journalists who publish his tripe without the slightest disclaimer as to his political agenda or his typically abysmal research.

Back