• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

MPMick said:
Last day that counts is Feb 28 2012.

That is the last day to accumulate entitlement to severance pay, but as far as I know, the pay rate used in the calculation will be that in effect on the day of release.  Now, I'm not sure what implication this has on PIL (i.e. whether it will include the 12/13 pay increase that is effective now).  However, if you don't take the PIL, the instructions have been clear that it will be your rate of pay at release, but based on the service completed prior to 28 Feb 12.

Last day that counts is 29 Feb 2012 (it was a leap year).

If you elect to take Payment in Lieu (that is, money now) it is paid out at your substantive rank on 01 March 2012, at the pay rate in force on 01 March 2012.  If you wait until release, you will be paid out at your substantive rank on release.

So, in one of the cases discussed here, if you were an A/MCpl on 01 March 2012, you'd get XX days at Cpl pay.  If you wait 12 years and take when you release as an MWO, you'd get the same XX days, but paid out at MWO pay.

I just wonder if they are going to do two separate calculations for the CT people...

I.e. 5 yrs in PRes - At the Reserve Calculation
Date of Transfer
2 yrs in Reg F - At the Reg F Calculation

and to boot if you were a lower rank at transfer does that lower the payment? (Pte at time of Transfer, Currently a MCpl?)

I'm not sure if i'm making any sense lol Does anybody understand what I just wrote lol

Jingo said:
I just wonder if they are going to do two separate calculations for the CT people...

Date of Transfer

and to boot if you were a lower rank at transfer does that lower the payment? (Pte at time of Transfer, Currently a MCpl?)

I'm not sure if i'm making any sense lol Does anybody understand what I just wrote lol

I understand the question.

ANd no, it will not be made like that.

The calculation is:  All eligible service for which you have not been previously paid, multiplied by the pay for your substantive rank on 01 March 2012 (if you take it now) or multiplied by the pay for your substantive rank on release, if you take it when you release.

Jingo said:

Date of Transfer

No. Reserve service is calendar time, not time signed in / on a route letter. That is to say, the guy who works class B for two years has exactly the same calculated service as the guy who shows up twice a month for two years.

One of our clerks was under the impression that PRes time does not get paid out unless the member served 10+ years in the PRes... Is this just another nasty rumour or is there merit to this statement?

If that's not the case than my severance should be back dated to June 2005 (PRes) and not Feb 2010 (Reg).. if the rumour's true than I'm only getting 2 years of severance based on 7 years of service, (50% of Res time spent on Class B)...

Such is life I guess...

Brihard said:
No. Reserve service is calendar time, not time signed in / on a route letter. That is to say, the guy who works class B for two years has exactly the same calculated service as the guy who shows up twice a month for two years.

...and all the Reserve units that are behind in their admin and still haven't released Bloggins from 2007, but never posted him as NES in the system, will suddenly discover that Bloggins is getting another 5 years of benefits...

MPMick said:
One of our clerks was under the impression that PRes time does not get paid out unless the member served 10+ years in the PRes... Is this just another nasty rumour or is there merit to this statement?

If that's not the case than my severance should be back dated to June 2005 (PRes) and not Feb 2010 (Reg).. if the rumour's true than I'm only getting 2 years of severance based on 7 years of service, (50% of Res time spent on Class B)...

Such is life I guess...

Your clerk is wrong.  Full stop.  Your calculations should be based on 5 years of service.

I'd suggest your clerk read the CBI.

So when I go to make my decision on what I want to do with my severance package, My granted time should go back to my original enrolment date of June 2005, excellent.

What is the difference between the Res Pay Out and the Reg? I can't see getting 6 weeks of Reg Force Pay when 4 of those are based on Reserve Service.

Maybe we should all wait out with our questions until the clerks have there brief on this matter on or about the 17th of Sept.

MPMick said:
What is the difference between the Res Pay Out and the Reg? I can't see getting 6 weeks of Reg Force Pay when 4 of those are based on Reserve Service.

Don't turn this into a Big R and little r debate. The FAQ says its based on current substansive rank as of a certain date, be it 85% of Cpl 4 or 100% of Cpl 2 because Bloggins CT'd and saved the money the CF would have to train a guy off the street.

PuckChaser said:
Don't turn this into a Big R and little r debate. The FAQ says its based on current substansive rank as of a certain date, be it 85% of Cpl 4 or 100% of Cpl 2 because Bloggins CT'd and saved the money the CF would have to train a guy off the street.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention.

dapaterson said:
Last day that counts is 29 Feb 2012 (it was a leap year).

If you elect to take Payment in Lieu (that is, money now) it is paid out at your substantive rank on 01 March 2012, at the pay rate in force on 01 March 2012.  If you wait until release, you will be paid out at your substantive rank on release.

So, in one of the cases discussed here, if you were an A/MCpl on 01 March 2012, you'd get XX days at Cpl pay.  If you wait 12 years and take when you release as an MWO, you'd get the same XX days, but paid out at MWO pay.

How do you figure out the pay rate  at their substantive rank for someone acting/lacking in a higher rank? If someone is A/L Maj, he would get his normal day-to-day pay as a Maj Basic or a Maj 1 etc... But for these purposes is he paid out at the maximum rate for a Capt (Capt 10)? Or the last pay scale he reached as a Capt? Or are his Captain incentives "ghost-advanced", so even though he is being paid as an A/L Maj 2, he is also a substantive Capt 7, if he was promoted acting/lacking as a Capt 5?

Plus, doesn't a Master Corporal still hold the rank of Corporal? So which pay scale does an A/L MCpl get paid out on? You can't have a substantive rank of Master Corporal -- since it isn't a rank.

All this is making me want to wait to cash this out until my retirement. The more I read it, the less I understand.

Again wait for the clerks to have their briefs then they will know more and inturn we will know more too.

Ostrozac said:
Plus, doesn't a Master Corporal still hold the rank of Corporal? So which pay scale does an A/L MCpl get paid out on? You can't have a substantive rank of Master Corporal -- since it isn't a rank.

Yes, technically MCpl/MS is an appointment but for most practical purposes (including pay), it is de facto equivalent to a substantive rank and is treated as such.

Ostrozac said:

bridges said:
Yes, technically MCpl/MS is an appointment but for most practical purposes (including pay), it is de facto equivalent to a substantive rank and is treated as such.

Please refer to CBI 204.30(4) and Table to CBI 204.30.

(Appointment of master corporal) A corporal who holds the appointment of master corporal shall be paid at the rate of pay established for a corporal, Pay Level 5B, in Table to this instruction at the same pay increment to which the member would otherwise have been entitled, as a corporal, had the member not been appointed master corporal.

CBI 204

:salute:

Char1991 said:
(Appointment of master corporal) A corporal who holds the appointment of master corporal shall be paid at the rate of pay established for a corporal, Pay Level 5B, in Table to this instruction at the same pay increment to which the member would otherwise have been entitled, as a corporal, had the member not been appointed master corporal.

CBI 204

Exactly; thanks for the ref.  Cpl "5B" is otherwise known as MCpl.  In other words, someone holding the substantive appointment of MCpl ("Cpl 5B") is not going to suddenly be bumped down to "Cpl 5A" for the purposes of severance pay.

However, an A/MCpl would be paid out as a Cpl.

As for acting rank: If you are given acting rank and then revert to your substantive rank, time in acting rank counts towards IPCs in your substantive rank.  That said, I'm not certain about how that will be managed for people electing to cash out their payment in lieu of severance.

Back