• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CANFORGEN on Pay and PIL

Sunnyns said:
Your file could have just ended up in a different box then his when sent.  Some units have their clerks divided into last names.  A-K L-Z.

You mean in Ottawa where the PIL team is?

eastcoast99 said:
No, he doesnt, he has less time in, I thought how the process was, the PIL team did them as they came in, so in other words, ones that came in on 16th were done before the 17th for example. Maybe sooner or later, someone from the PIL team will see this forum and give us some insight!
There are a lot of questions on where everyone's file sits.  I've resolved myself to just be patient and when I get my PIL I get it.  My file was given to my OR on 14 Dec 12 and they emailed my filed to the PIL office on 12 Feb 13.  I know of others that were sent after mine and they recieved a payout, so like I said questions abound.

Canadian.Trucker said:
There are a lot of questions on where everyone's file sits.  I've resolved myself to just be patient and when I get my PIL I get it.  My file was given to my OR on 14 Dec 12 and they emailed my filed to the PIL office on 12 Feb 13.  I know of others that were sent after mine and they recieved a payout, so like I said questions abound.

Thank you for your insight.

Sunnyns said:
Don't just blame the wives, the guys do a great job as well on their own.  Anyone pre-spending this money is asking for trouble.  If they are only at 9 k and have not even 25% to go, it will be a long time till us for one sees it.  There is nothing wrong with telling your spouse there is extra money coming in, both should be responsible. 

I am not trying to start up a conversation about spouses knowing what, but this irritated me.  I like this thread and want to see it continue, it's great information to know kind of where they are at.

SunnyNS,

Don't blame George. It was me that first breeched the spouses comment. My intent was not to point any fingers, nor to say one was better than the other. It was merely to point out that members and spouses don't always translate the things said on Military Admin matters the same.

I have a rather large section. A few of the members have reported "heated" discussions at home over this money.

I totally agree with your point that both mbrs and spouses are equally capable of driving up debts within the relationship.

George was just relating his personal experience and the lesson he learned. I think we've all done it in one way or another.

The real point is none of us should spend money until it is physically in our bank account. (I know this should be common sense, but there is nothing common about good sense.)

I hope you will forgive my comment as no judgement was attached. It was merely an observation based of feedback from the people I work with.

AirDet said:
The real point is none of us should spend money until it is physically in our bank account. (I know this should be common sense, but there is nothing common about good sense.)

This!  :nod:

That said, many chickens are counted before the eggs are hatched -- I and no doubt others here have seen folks do things, for example, with TD advances even before they started their travel, so it should come as no surprise that folks may have leaned forward on future money, even though repeated advice is to never count on money until it's in the bank.

Nothing wrong with talking things out between member and spouse, if the intent is to plan the most appropriate use of monies, once they are received.  The reality is, however, that no matter how many times such advice is provided, the "here and (soon to be) now" factor often kicks in and folks commit, before the money is in the bank.

On topic, the issue remains that unforeseen complexities can delay files that people thought would be relatively simple.  For example, I just received a partial-PIL that I thought was a simple <50% case, until it turned out that half my pers file (with the important enrollment info) was missing and without it, things slowed down a 'wee bit'...seeing a number of 100%'ers get paid before me.  Things may not be as simple as folks think, even if paperwork was handed in the day after the election could be made.

Regards
G2G

AirDet,  I know the door swings both ways.  My dad who was military was always in debt and yup, I've seen really bad spouses spend the money.

I've seen a few neighbours who have already spent the money, they think it's coming soon when the clerks here sent the paperwork at the end of March.

Sorry if I seemed heated, everyone's experiences make them who they are and I've seen women come into the pay office crying because their spouse did not leave them any money when they left and they had no access to the bank account.  I've also seen wives take some poor bugger to the cleaners when they were gone on tour. 

Anyway, sorry to take away from the main thread.

Hope the young guys/gals are smart and put a good down payment on a house.

Sunny,

It would seem we share the same opinion. Have a great evening.

So, how did the process all work for everyone here?  I guess I'm concerned there was an issue.  I completed my forms, went with a colleague and we both dropped ours off at the OR well within the required time frame.  Neither of us have heard a word from anyone yet but a few people in this thread have mentioned having received emails when their files hit Ottawa (or perhaps I read it wrong).

I'm not saying I wondering when we will get it paid out.  I know it will take the time it takes but nobody in my office has mentioned any sort of confirmation email that their files were in Ottawa.  Maybe I read it wrong but would that have been local to their Base or is it standard that the forms get dropped off at the OR and you don't hear anything until they have processed the PIL?

I've heard here there is an email address for general inquiries but I don't want to bog them down with inquiries I can make elsewhere.  Thanks

Sunnyns said:
Your file could have just ended up in a different box then his when sent.  Some units have their clerks divided into last names.  A-K L-Z.

That sounds painful.

Oh you mean "cell clerks".  Bloggins does A to Mac, Smith does Mac to P, etc.  ;D

So I got some answers today, found out when my file actually made it to Ottawa, apparently it was screwed up the first time when it was sent in January and my OR never found out until end of Feb. It was immediately re-submitted and I have proof now when  Ottawa took possession of it! I also found out as of today, they are working on files they have received 22 Feb. All this has come from a very reliable sources, as well, was told a new message has been drafted on the PIL process, not sure what is in the message though. Now my new question, I wonder how long a cut and dry file takes to do, as in, a file that was opened today, wonder if its a matter of hours or days to process, again, this is on a easy file, no reserve time or in and out time.

Latest date status from the PIL office:
Due to the high volume of files we have received (over 44,000 and counting) we are unable to provide updates as to the status of files.  Files are being audited based on the date the file has been received by the DMCA 4 PIL Team in Ottawa.  We are working on files that were received in the last week of February.  It is important to note, that files requiring archives access, and/or back and forth to the units for missing substantiating documentation require more time to complete the audit.

Has anyone have a guess on how long it takes the PIL Team to complete one file? a easy one that is, straight time, no breaks or reserve time.

eastcoast99 said:
Has anyone have a guess on how long it takes the PIL Team to complete one file? a easy one that is, straight time, no breaks or reserve time.

I really am beginning to get the feeling that you spent your money already heh?  Relax, it's only yours once you receive it and it is coming.  No amount of questions on this, that or the other thing are going to get it to you one second sooner.  Save yourself an aneurysm --- find something to do with yourself and realize it could be a month or it could be much longer and there isn't a darn thing anyone, anywhere can do about it.

ArmyVern said:
I really am beginning to get the feeling that you spent your money already heh?  Relax, it's only yours once you receive it and it is coming.  No amount of questions on this, that or the other thing are going to get it to you one second sooner.  Save yourself an aneurysm --- find something to do with yourself and realize it could be a month or it could be much longer and there isn't a darn thing anyone, anywhere can do about it.

No, I haven't, but I am thinking that my questions, and only questions seem to be bothering you for some reason. Another thing, you are wrong by saying its only yours once you receive it, We were told , well I was over 20 years ago I would be entitled to this severance package, baring jail etc...as of last March, it stopped making money for me and with my investments over the years..this will be the tip of the iceburg and I am loosing money daily. So once again, if my questions are bothering you, ignore them and carry on!

eastcoast99 said:

Assuming the home unit has properly organized the files and given the PIL team all the documentation so the service is easily verifiable and the calculations have already been done properly? 10-30 minutes. Of course, that's a huge assumption.

ARMY_101 said:
Assuming the home unit has properly organized the files and given the PIL team all the documentation so the service is easily verifiable and the calculations have already been done properly? 10-30 minutes. Of course, that's a huge assumption.

thank you.

ARMY_101 said:
Assuming the home unit has properly organized the files and given the PIL team all the documentation so the service is easily verifiable and the calculations have already been done properly? 10-30 minutes.

Really. 

Are you one of the pers who were hired to do this task?  Or do you know someone who is processing the files?  Are you familiar with all of the steps of the process?  Where the source documents are stored and how they are accessed?

Of course, that's a huge assumption.

Unless you have answers for all of the questions above, then we can definitely agree on the huge assumption part of your post............

I have no idea how valid Army's numbers are but if we examine them we get an idea of how huge this task is. If his lower estimate of 10 minutes is accurate, when multiplied by the 44,000 applications we get 440,000 minutes or 7,333 man hours. Don't forget that's using the shortest timeline. Imagine if he was off by a factor of 2; 14,667 man hours. How about if it takes an hour per file on average? =44,000 man hours or 27 man years.

I don't envy the task set before the team. It's monumental!

Our guys are so much happier after they published where the team is in the process.

Back