• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Cansofcom Appoints First Honorary Commandant"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
This from the CF:
Retired Vice-Admiral Greg Maddison has been appointed the first Honorary Commandant of Canadian Special Operation Forces Command (CANSOFCOM), at a ceremony held today at National Defence Headquarters.

“As the Deputy Chief of Defence Staff, I was responsible to the Chief of the Defence Staff for the conduct of CF operations at home and abroad. This position afforded me the opportunity to witness first hand the professionalism and dedication of Canada’s Special Operations Forces. I am truly proud to have this opportunity to act as a liaison between CANSOFCOM and Canadian citizens," said Vice-Admiral Maddison of his appointment.

Vice-Admiral Maddison’s distinguished career spanned 36 and a half years with the Canadian Forces (CF). His final post as the Deputy Chief of Defence Staff provided him with a unique perspective on the capabilities of Canada’s Special Operations Forces at an important time in their development as they deployed to Afghanistan in the aftermath of September 11, 2001.

“Vice-Admiral Maddison provided excellent leadership and guidance to Canadian Special Operations Forces at a formative period in our development,” said Brigadier-General Mike Day, the Commander of CANSOFCOM. “We look forward to his continued support and mentorship.”

It is common for military organizations to appoint honorary officers. The CANSOFCOM Honorary Commandant will serve as an ambassador, attending significant CF and public events across the country. Honorary appointments are approved by the Minister of National Defence after receiving a recommendation from the Chief of Defence Staff. These appointments are generally for a period of three years.

While the Canadian tradition of appointing Honoraries to units originated with the British military, it has been in practice in Canada since 1895.

Back