• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Service Medal - Domestic Operations Bar

Perhaps its time for a Arctic Bar for operations above the Arctic Circle?

I'm not opposed to a domestic operations service medal, but not as a bar for the SSM.
We've been pissing around with this since about 1973 or so. Still nada, if were going to do it it must be a stand alone as the bars to the SSM would weigh as much as a young tank. (the pix of the chinese gens fits here but I cant find it). If its done we must do a historical review and see just which one fits the proposed model.

We've been pissing around with this since about 1973 or so. Still nada, if were going to do it it must be a stand alone as the bars to the SSM would weigh as much as a young tank. (the pix of the chinese gens fits here but I cant find it). If its done we must do a historical review and see just which one fits the proposed model.
I'm against the SSM because it has become our go-to for the last 10 years or so. We created medals for use with new ribbons, and we still fall back on the SSM because it's the easy button.

Last edited:
I'm against the SSM because it has become our go-to for the last 10 years or so. We created medals for use with new ribbons, and we still fall back on the SSM because it's the easy button.

Agreed. The SSM was originally created to 1) recognize the efforts of personnel deployed and posted in support of NATO during the Cold War and 2) to serve as a 'gap filler' where there was no UN or other international medal available.

Eventually, other bars were added including ALERT, PEACE, HUMANITAS, RANGER, EXPEDITION (and some others proposed and/or cancelled)

Then the OSM with a range of ribbons was created, which replaced the SSM-HUMANITAS and SSM-PEACE.

If I was in charge, I would:

1) Create an OSM-EUROPE: Hell, if we're going to be there for the next decade, we may as well recognize our personnel. At least give the troops a medal engraved with their name and allow the use of rotation bars to reflect the many tours some will have to endure over the course of their careers (can't show multiple rotations with the SSM)

2) Elevate the SSM-EXP to OSM-EXP, discontinue use of the SSM-EXP

3) Keep the SSM exclusivity for Alert and Ranger

4) Use the OSM-HUM for domestic emergencies, or create a totally new medal.

I agree that an SSM bar isn’t the ideal option. I proposed it farther up thread as a ‘lowest barrier’, but I’d be cool with a Domestic Service Medal or something of that sort. The question would be is it just a CAF thing, or also, eg, emergency services working major natural disasters or, conceivably, security incidents? I think it would be good to see wild land firefighters recognized, or Red Cross working something like major floods or a town burning down. As a Canadian honours system, I like a more comprehensive approach to honouring Canadians, and I’m a big fan of recognizing service to our own.

As a Canadian honours system, I like a more comprehensive approach to honouring Canadians, and I’m a big fan of recognizing service to our own.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Already captured under "first responder".

That's nice.

If you work for Ottawa.

My gratitude goes to the citizens of Metro for their generous support of our emergency services.

Last year, one of our ACPs earned $278,872.34 , and a PCP $266,243.77 .

Those are entry level positions.

I'll take that over more bling from Ottawa in a junk drawer with their 30-year ESM I never wore.

At least Metro gave me an engraved gold watch I use every day.

I agree that an SSM bar isn’t the ideal option. I proposed it farther up thread as a ‘lowest barrier’, but I’d be cool with a Domestic Service Medal or something of that sort. The question would be is it just a CAF thing, or also, eg, emergency services working major natural disasters or, conceivably, security incidents? I think it would be good to see wild land firefighters recognized, or Red Cross working something like major floods or a town burning down. As a Canadian honours system, I like a more comprehensive approach to honouring Canadians, and I’m a big fan of recognizing service to our own.
Bulk buys are cheaper!

That's nice.

If you work for Ottawa.

My gratitude goes to the citizens of Metro for their generous support of our emergency services.

Last year, one of our ACPs earned $278,872.34 , and a PCP $266,243.77 .

Those are entry level positions.

I'll take that over more bling from Ottawa in a junk drawer with their 30-year ESM I never wore.

At least Metro gave me an engraved gold watch I use every day.

How many hours of OT was that?

How many hours of OT was that?

Must have been a lot. How many? 🤷‍♂️

Saw it on Thursday's Sunshine List.

Maybe cheaper paying the OT, than hiring.

There was always lots of OT available. Voluntary and mandated.

• Humorous
Reactions: ueo

I can see it now: 'The Order of the TimBit - The first goal is having fun'.

At least it connects with the fuel that keeps our first responders going through the tough times ;)

1711808825680.png

Agree totally, and supposedly there's been a 'change of perspective' within the CAF top leadership about recognizing this sort of service to Canadians (....contrary to the traditional understanding that dom ops are recognized by the Canadian Forces' Decoration).

It's only a matter of time before something gets created. A totally new medal would be ideal, but I'm a realist so expect that the path of least resistance (i.e. work) will be chosen. Modifying the OSM-HUM and/or SSM-HUM would be an 'easy' answer because they are already on the table. The criteria for medals gets expanded and modified quite regularly.
If it doesn't happen before, I suspect that there might be some new changes after the next election/change of government. Now I'm not expecting them to rescind the Nickle Resolution.

I am kind of surprised that there wasn't a creation of a Covid Medal that would be presented for Health Care Workers, First Responders, Op Lazer, etc. I guess the cost would be very large due to the fact that they would likely need to issue millions of them.

I think that it would have to be extended to First Responders as well, which isn't a bad thing. The Canadian Honours System doesn't offer a whole lot of recognition for First Responders. This is likely why the Provinces have created so many, although only some of them are recognized by the Governor General.

I think that it would have to be extended to First Responders as well, which isn't a bad thing. The Canadian Honours System doesn't offer a whole lot of recognition for First Responders. This is likely why the Provinces have created so many, although only some of them are recognized by the Governor General.
Not really accurate. We all have our own nationally recognized CD equivalents. I knows cops with MB, MSC, MSM, CPSM, various tour medals… Plus internal commendations. I don’t think H&R options are lacking, I just don’t think they’re used much. I actually just submitted a batch of nominations the other day for some people who did solid work on a project. We just don’t do it as well as CAF.

Not really accurate. We all have our own nationally recognized CD equivalents. I knows cops with MB, MSC, MSM, CPSM, various tour medals… Plus internal commendations. I don’t think H&R options are lacking, I just don’t think they’re used much. I actually just submitted a batch of nominations the other day for some people who did solid work on a project. We just don’t do it as well as CAF.
In my Detachment there is a fairly robust Officer in Charge Commendation program. The problem with it is people are getting the same challenge coin, hand shake and certificate for things that arguably could have been awarded a Medal of Bravery as those folks getting an attaboy for being slightly above expectations in their job, civilian staff included.

I was once a key player in the pursuit and high risk take down/arrest of attempted murder suspects. Delivered the suspects, weapon, vehicle, scene and victims to the Serious Crime unit on a silver platter, sans charter breaches or investigative fudge ups, bow included. They got an OIC award, I got nothing. I did however get an OIC award that year for standing in a back yard holding containment while ERT did their thing. Even more insultingly, the Inventory unit got the same award that year for, you'd never guess it, taking inventory and finding out that no, we hadn't lost any guns that year. Incredible.

In my Detachment there is a fairly robust Officer in Charge Commendation program. The problem with it is people are getting the same challenge coin, hand shake and certificate for things that arguably could have been awarded a Medal of Bravery as those folks getting an attaboy for being slightly above expectations in their job, civilian staff included.

I was once a key player in the pursuit and high risk take down/arrest of attempted murder suspects. Delivered the suspects, weapon, vehicle, scene and victims to the Serious Crime unit on a silver platter, sans charter breaches or investigative fudge ups, bow included. They got an OIC award, I got nothing. I did however get an OIC award that year for standing in a back yard holding containment while ERT did their thing. Even more insultingly, the Inventory unit got the same award that year for, you'd never guess it, taking inventory and finding out that no, we hadn't lost any guns that year. Incredible.

That sucks dude, not sure what to tell you. It’s likely just about the same amount of work for any level of award; a narrative is a narrative.

All I can really say is remember this when you move up. When you put the formal request on paper, it at least forces the system to digest and consider it. I’ve found that bosses all too often suck at taking the initiative to write up a nomination, but they’re happy to jot down their two or three line assent and recommendation if someone else does.

Back