• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAP 2014

RectorCR

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the next Common Army Phase course is in Gagetown.
One of the other candidates in my platoon heard it started Aug. 11. We graduate basic on Aug 8 and so the army people were hoping we'd have at least a week leave after that but it sounds like we won't. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The course is called BMOQ-L and the next Mod 1 on the National Calendar starts 12 Jun.  If you are graduating 8 Aug, then the first Mod1 I see after that, serial 0137, starts 14 Oct 14.

Infanteer said:
The course is called BMOQ-L and the next Mod 1 on the National Calendar starts 12 Jun.  If you are graduating 8 Aug, then the first Mod1 I see after that, serial 0137, starts 14 Oct 14.

Thanks!
Since there is such a large gap between courses would I be doing OJT? Do I have a choice where I do OJT if that is the case or is it only in Gagetown?

While anything is possible - It's fairly unlikely you would be doing anything related to OJT having just come off basic (prior to BMOQ-L)

I can only speak from the Infantry School side of things, but OJT usually only became a possibility once you became a trained resource (IE, finished Phase 3).  If it is the Infantry School that you are headed to, prepare for a few months of reporting twice a day and filling your time (or having it filled with random tasks) preparing for when your serial runs.

It may be suprising to you, but the amount of "choice" you have during the training portion of your career will be painfully minimal.  Opportunities may come up, but I wouldn't expect it to be a two way process until much later.

I have been posted to RCAS in Gagetown for 2 years I awaited training on PAT platoon for my entire waiting time. That's what I would expect. My friends from infantry school were waiting on PAT as well until we were loaded on CAP.

Ayrsayle said:
While anything is possible - It's fairly unlikely you would be doing anything related to OJT having just come off basic (prior to BMOQ-L)

I can only speak from the Infantry School side of things, but OJT usually only became a possibility once you became a trained resource (IE, finished Phase 3).  If it is the Infantry School that you are headed to, prepare for a few months of reporting twice a day and filling your time (or having it filled with random tasks) preparing for when your serial runs.

It may be suprising to you, but the amount of "choice" you have during the training portion of your career will be painfully minimal.  Opportunities may come up, but I wouldn't expect it to be a two way process until much later.

Something I should have mentioned at the beginning is that I'm an Infantry Officer. I don't know if there is a difference between what happens between officers and NCM's?

During my time though the Infantry School, the only OJT that occurred was for Phase 3 qualified pers who were waiting to take their Phase 4 and had a significant gap before it started.  All of them were Course Officers for various courses running around the country.  They were also a very small minority.

While both the Armoured and Artillery schools will have training NCM's present, only Infantry officers conduct their initial training in Gagetown.  Can't really comment on what opportunities exist for NCM's at their respective schools as a result.

Unless much has changed during the past 2 years, your day will consist of reporting in for the morning at 0800, doing PT (either self directed, or as a group), reporting in again at 1000 for training or other small tasks passed down from PAT Pl, Lunch, then reporting back in at 1300 for more of the same. Depending on the day you will be "free" from as early as 1315, to as late as 1700 on most days.

Ways to spend your time other then OJT?
- See if you can get access to a computer lab to start working on AJSO (Army Junior Staff Officer) and register/complete a few CAFJOD (Junior Officer Development) Modules before starting Phase 2 (if possible).  Once you finish your phase training you'll find you have very little work time to complete these modules later on. 
- Get Fit.  Phase 3 will be much easier if fitness is the least of your concerns.
- Get your fingers dirty.  Try and see if there is anything you can do around the base to continue your administrative skills.  We get precious little of it during the training portion and it will be one of the most time consuming portions of your first 6 months as a Pl Comd.  This will likely depend on who is heading the PAT Pl at the time and their willingness to give you said opportunity however.
- Grab course materials from other PAT Pl members (who have finished BMOQ-L) for the upcoming course - while some of it might be better left to learn during the course proper, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a good idea of the material you'll be expected to learn during the course.  PAT Pl may have scheduled in classes on some of this material already.  If your peers do not have this information (which is doubtful), PAT Pl leadership certainly will.  Talk to whomever is in charge of you about it.

If you had any questions, feel free to send me a PM.

(Edited to add additional details)

Just got off BMOQ-L in April...

As a new InfO....you will be at Gagetown on OPP Pl (basically InfO Pat Pl) before all your phases basically. Expect to do nothing.

Guys I know that are there report in the morning and see if there is anything to do (there isnt) and go to the gym all day...lol

If it was me - I'd use the time to do CAFJOD's and AJSOC or whatever its called - aka the DNDLearn online courses we are basically expected to have done by Capt.

I would definitely go for CAFJOD's and AJOSC if you have spair time (and you will... hahaha) ! Best time of your career to get these done.

Back