• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Captain Nichola K.S. Goddard killed in Afghanistan (17 May 2006)

Rest in Peace, Captain Goddard...

Prayers out to the family.

End of Mission,

blake

I had the pleasure of knowing and serving with Nichola for the last two years in 1 RCHA.   She was a professional and conscientious officer who always put the welfare of her soldiers before her own needs.  She always wore a smile and knew when to work hard and when to play hard.

Nic, End of Mission, Stand-Easy. :salute:

G92

sorry to hear about this one.  It sounds like she was a fine officer. I hope her friends, family and her troops remember the fun times and the good times more then the bad times.
She was a soldier first.

For Captain Goddard and all our lost friends:

No man is an island, entire of itself
every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main
if a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were,
as well as if a manor of thy friends or of thine own were
any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls
it tolls for thee.

-- John Donne

We were all diminished today.

I am very sad to see that Capt Goddard was lost in Afghanistan. She was one of the most professional, level headed and full of common sense officers It was ever my pleasure to work with. I too rarely saw her without a smile and word for the troops. The 2IC said she was marked for advancement and I  can attest that this was not at all undeserved.
There were reports on CBC that 18 Taliban were killed in the exchange. While this is some comfort, not 118 would be worth 1 Capt Goddard. :cdn:

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

I recently met Nicola during operations.  I was a stranger to the group, but she greeted me warmly and her good humour was evident.  She watched over us during some tight times.

My sincerest condolences to her family and loved ones.  You are in my prayers.

Iain

RIP. My thoughts and prayers go out the family and friends of this brave woman.  :salute:

I personally know her sister, today she was called out of one of my classes, you think nothing of it until you hear the name on the radio and then it really hits home. It's strange coincidence that she and I were talking about the very subject just a few days ago. Definitely makes you think.

RIP Capt. Goddard

Another familiar, smiling face is gone.

Rest in Peace.

My condolences to the Capt's family and the Guns.

At our family table last night, we said a small prayer for Capt Goddard and for all our soldiers there. We all know what can happen to us from the day we sign up, but that doesn't make it any easier.

:cdn: :salute:

Uncle Lew said it best.

"The greatest respect I can pay to the young female captain who died today is to treat it just like the death of any soldier-  with great respect and certainly not differently."

RIP

Back