• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBSA arming

The last time I checked the training for CBSA in Quebec was 11 wks? (I may be wrong...WR?)
Our "basic training" is 14 weeks in Rigaud, Quebec and then when you get back to the port there is several weeks more on port specific training. Then followed by a 1 year of probation.

NoNeck does have a good point, for which I have stated several times that CBSA needs to improve it's hiring procedures. Right now it concentrates more on education and test scores, than personal suitability. There are some very intelligent people (I know right now everybody is picturing a friend or an officer they came into contact with and is disputing this, I am talking in generalities)  within the CBSA, but many would not be able to talk their way out of a wet paper bag, forget about fighting out of one! This is an excerpt from a new hiring competition  
Some Border Services Officers appointed from any new process may be required to carry a firearm and qualify in its use and safe handling. In addition to the above conditions of employment, these Border Services Officers will be required to successfully complete all related training and pre-requisite physical and other evaluations
What they mean by this is unknown, it does not refer to a medical etc as that is mentioned somewhere else in the job posting. Maybe the rumour of a physical abilities test is coming to fruition?

I would also scratch the summer student program.  I always thought that was a bad idea.

I agree %100...This is something taken from the Agencies Intranet....
Will there still be a place for students working as border service officers in the CBSA?

The presence of students in locations that will be armed will be phased out over time. Students will be replaced by part-time, fully-trained and equipped border services officers.

The 10 year plan is insane as they are hoping for a change in government then the program can be scrapped or altered. The national management are ardent Liebral cronies who do not believe in having armed officer's...my personal belief.

I am hopeful because the CBSA can only go up from here...they can't sink much lower. ::)

zpperhead cop....
I don't want the Border guards going into pursuit.  It's bad enough when the local authorities get involved in one of those and a tremendous accident occurs.....

I dont think zipperhead is referring to one of those hollywood highspeed pursuits.... but rather that the BSO's simply stay on a veh until the local LEO's can take over or stop em... really the question is, do you pursue, or do you sit back and let the baddies get away..... I guess the best answer IMO would be that the situation would have to dictate, ie: speed of the pursuit, threat level of the suspect (how bad is the dude), traffic density, time of day etc.. etc... 

geo said:
zpperhead cop....
I don't want the Border guards going into pursuit.  It's bad enough when the local authorities get involved in one of those and a tremendous accident occurs.....

Yeah, I agree.  Pursuits for the most part are not generally worth the risk, since 9 times out of 10 you are chasing a stolen car with some jagoff kids. 
But in the case of a known armed fugitive fleeing from the USA, I would stick in that pursuit until my fuel ran out.  You let this guy get away from you, then the next time somebody deals with him he has the drop and you risk a guy getting killed.  At least if you are on them from when the enter the country, you won't lose track of them.  Also, sometimes they are just mules that are only going a couple of kilometers in to drop their package, and will just go back after that.  If you want those drugs/guns/smuggled people, you need to stick with the bad guy. 
Some of the main port runners are the transport truck drivers.  So it's not like they are hard to follow, you just need to pool the right resources together in case it doesn't stop.  Again, there are a number of people that don't go where they are supposed to not because they are criminals, but because they are hammer heads.  And in fairness to them, the procedure to get from the Ambassador Bridge to the truck inspection facility is a goat show (no, they are not co-located.  Go figure)  Even if they have 5000 kg of weed or whatever, they generally will stop because the will want to argue in court that they didn't load their own trailer and had no idea what they had on board.  But again, you have to stick with them.

Think that they should implement a "chicane" at the border crossings - give the guards remote control over "dragons teeth".

Once they get away from the border, they"ve gotten away and you've lost the "game".

I recall driving onto a NATO base during the good ole' Baader-Meinhof days, and the car check included the sliding mirror, but, this was done between two barriers.  You drove over a flat steel piece, it then raised up (like a lift bridge) so you could not drive over it, flatten it, or push it out of they way.  Once cleared, the raised ramp in front of you lowered, and away you went to the Rod and Gun to buy your Delta Elite.  Cheap, yet effective.

A good solution for Port of Entries.  The veh goes nowhere until you push the button.  If the driver gets out with a gun, you go into bunker mode, dump the hydraulics (another button) so he can't open it himself, then shoot in self defence when he climbs into the guard shack.

Yard-sale his truck after you hose down the office.

Remember to pull any gold teeth he may have for the staff Christmas Party Fund.

;)

Tom

Yard-sale his truck after you hose down the office.

Ya but knowing how the government is with money the gurds would have to supply thier own pressure washer.

Well...Not to completely hijack the thread (redirect perhaps) I have been speaking to various members of Canadian Customs as the ship I'm on currently travels around the East coast of Canada. The customs enforcement officers seem to feel that the first firearms will be going to the marine inspection/enforcement units on the east and west coasts...It sounds as though (from listening to them at least) like the airports are going to be last and that there will be some sort of salary increase when the pistols and whatever else they get come on line.

This info is not confirmed...just what they've been telling me as I visit from place to place. No words yet on what they're getting or when although two years before any of this starts to show up is the general concensus.

Cheers

Slim

Actually, if you had followed the news more closely, vehicles blowing through the border and other incidents are one of the main causes of CBSA personnel now being armed....things are changing....

Not going to elaborate due to OPSEC, but "port runners" are handled better on this side of the border than the US side. They only have stiffer penalties for the offence. Our penalties have  recently increased dramatically and they are almost "draconian" compared to sentences given for other types of offences committed on the street.

WR said:
Not going to elaborate due to OPSEC, but "port runners" are handled better on this side of the border than the US side. They only have stiffer penalties for the offence. Our penalties have  recently increased dramatically and they are almost "draconian" compared to sentences given for other types of offences committed on the street.

I like "draconian".......maybe it will spread. ;)

I wish, but the punishment comes from the Customs Act and IRPA....not the criminal code

Well arming will occur in different phases with airports being the LAST to be armed. The priority are Land Borders, Special Teams/Sections, Sea Ports with boarding teams being priority and the airport... If required. WR can correct me.

Don't mistake boarding teams with Boarding Party of the Navy. The go aboard docked vessels to search and inspect containers.

MedTech said:
Don't mistake boarding teams with Boarding Party of the Navy. The go aboard docked vessels to search and inspect containers.

Yo Medtech,

So do you watch Grace Park on "The Border" nowadays? Does she look good in a CBSA uniform? Does she even wear one on the show? hehehehe.  ;D

Um... No it's two completely different things. The reasons are different as well. Anyways it's too long to go into on a crackberry typing interface. If WR comes back maybe he can better explain it.

"Currently" CBSA does not have any long guns/assault weapons, but it will happen. When??? I do not know, but it is on the radar.
Every boat that is boarded a risk assessment is done and if the risk is that high, an RCMP marine boarding party will attend first and when clear, the CBSA will take over. We do not have sufficient training in high risk entries, nor the tools to complete that task (and probably won't for years to come).

WR said:
"Currently" CBSA does not have any long guns/assault weapons, but it will happen. When??? I do not know, but it is on the radar.
Every boat that is boarded a risk assessment is done and if the risk is that high, an RCMP marine boarding party will attend first and when clear, the CBSA will take over. We do not have sufficient training in high risk entries, nor the tools to complete that task (and probably won't for years to come).

(Bit of a revival)

But it's coming slowly... I dont know what your work location is (marine?) but there is a slow but gradual increase in all things enforcement oriented, including much more CBSA involved prosecutions, in some cases now just having the responding police agency hold the subject while we take care of court transport, briefings etc etc. I think that will be one of the biggest measurements of the direction the agency is headed in.. if we become more self-sufficient in CA and CCC enforcement and prosecution the ball will keep rolling forward with new initiatives.. if not... well... boo.

It is a logical end state, but unfortunately forces the question "will it occur before or after a major incident"?

Back