• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF-188 Hornet, Canada's jet fighter

In the light of things said:
Wasn't lecturing you, in fact I wasn't talking to you period. And, I don't need to be credible, I don't care if people believe me or not, it's my opinion.

Well sir, you do have to be credible - or at least qualify your information; it's right in the Forum guidelines:

Mike Bobbitt said:
Due to the anonymous nature of these forums, it can be hard to tell if information is coming from someone in a position to know or just someone who "has a friend whose uncle served with the Botswana Defence Force in the 70's."

So our request is this: Please qualify unconfirmed information posted here.

....There are lots of discussions which take place on this forum in which either none or all of us are "experts" in some way (politics, rifles, etc).  It's great that we can all discuss the daily news and have civil debate on contentious matters, however these boards are no different than the real world, and if you provide information to back up your claim, you better be willing to give us some proof.  If you base your opinions off of hearsay and rumor, be prepared to be called to task when you use up bandwidth on this board to tell us about it.

We aim for professional discussion here and look down upon the odd comment chucked in from the peanut gallery that does nothing but confuse, distract, disrupt, and suck up bandwidth.

In an effort to keep the signal:noise ratio down, how about this:  If you know, explain - if you don't, listen.

So you have actually flown one or are you just making this up?....think carefully here,...
Quote,
Ok and about the seakings, if any of you have flown in one hopefully you'll agree that the stabelization avionics on it are still advanced compared to many aircrafts, and I would hope that the SeaKings would be redesigned to accomodate faster speeds/better sub tracking/other, and/or put those avionics on newer or future aircrafts.

In the light of things said:
But I wasnt submitting information, how can an opinion be wrong?

Postmodernism at its finest...

Keep in mind that the very reason a military exists in the first place is because some opinions are worth more than others. We went to war in 1939 because we judged Hitler's opinion about the future of Europe to be less valid than ours. We went to war in 1950 because Kim Il-Sung's opinions about Korean reunification were judged less valid than our own. We went to war in 2001 because Osama's opinion of America and the West threatens our civilization.

Opinions are not all created equal. Around here, we still hold to that backward, medieval, passé idea that to be credible, an opinion should be based in fact or experience - or at the very least a logical inference from commonly accepted facts.

Your opinions, thus far, haven't met either standard.

Hmmm.... some opinions are expressed more forcefuly than others....

Japan not happy with US.... expressed by - Pearl Harbour
Japan not happy with UK.... expressed by Singapore & Hong Kong
Germany not happy with Russia... expressed by Op Barbarossa

Guardian.... maybe you've oversimplified things a tad

IMHO :)

geo said:
Hmmm.... some opinions are expressed more forcefuly than others....

Japan not happy with US.... expressed by - Pearl Harbour
Japan not happy with UK.... expressed by Singapore & Hong Kong
Germany not happy with Russia... expressed by Op Barbarossa

Guardian.... maybe you've oversimplified things a tad

IMHO :)

Granted - you're right. My examples seem to prove "might makes right" - not exactly the point I'm trying to make...  :-X

Maybe I'll try it this way, then. If all opinions are created equal, then why share them at all? After all, if his opinion is as good as anyone else's, then it has no need of correction, and he has no possible way to learn. Neither does he have any right to expect his comments will benefit anyone else, as their opinions are already valid.

In which case, In the light of things' comments neither add or detract from our discussion at all, and thus, do not matter. We are free - even more, are required - to ignore them as the irrelevant noise that they are.

[/off topic tangent]

Just a thought if where not  able to replace the F-18 completely until around 2017-20 . Why cant we do a partial replacement with the super hornets ?  Just an example would be like keep half of our upgraded ones replace the rest with about 60 super hornets

Ohhh..... we'll prolly do something like that in the end but, if you ask the CDS right now, he'll be more inclined to get :
new Strategic lift aircraft,
replacement tactical lift aircraft,
Medium lift tactical helicopters.....

Once we get that out of the way.... we can look at the Buzzing Hornets

Thanks GEO your right it will probably happen that way . To bad there just isn't enough cash to go around . It would be nice to get every thing  at once the CF deserves allot better treatment .  :'(

we promised not to build another aircraft for 99 years

Just thought I'd bring this up... why don't we just go back on that promise?  I can't see people getting mad at us for opening up a new market in Canada, especially since with the 25-30 year cut-backs we've endured it would take us about 50 years to undo the damage with the size/budget of our country considered.  Although the new market would open up many new jobs and add to the economy, and since it is a military fueled market, most likely, the government may send the taxes it collects from that market back into the military.  Oh wait I forgot, we have to maintain our stereotype as a half-neutral, nice, promise keeping, do-good, military that only peacekeeps country.  My mistake.

And with the "military that only peacekeeps country", but that I'm really offended.  Only 1/8 of our military is in peacekeeping operations.

Forget the fighter junk!  What we need are some Cobras!!!!  (PG, if you surf this site, that one's for you!)

Back