• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF MP Soft Body Armour New Requirements

While s/he didn't contribute much to this conversation, if amancalledhawk had started a new thread, he would have been told to do a search before posting. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Since this was brought up again:

After this thread was originally posted I sent an email/memo up the chain regarding the specs for the next SBA. I wasn't expecting much from it, but I never even heard if it made it past Coy level. Considering I had some pretty solid sources and used some good research (that you again Dr. Roberts), I am a bit disappointed that I never got any sort of response. 

NinerSix said:
While s/he didn't contribute much to this conversation, if amancalledhawk had started a new thread, he would have been told to do a search before posting.

I have seen the single word "bump" occasionally posted in necro-threads. It may not contribute much to the conversation, but maybe they figure it is better than starting a new thread on an old topic?

NinerSix said:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

True. Sometimes new threads, on old topics, have to be merged into mega-threads for future reference.

Inspir said:
We have the option of internal or external. Most choose external for comfort and ease. I have received some comments from the public but mostly just curiosity.

Now if we can just get load bearing vests like the Brits to save my aching back...

I had the displeasure of wearing internal for almost 3 years back when I was on patrol last and I hated every day of it.  When you had to be back in the office for a while it was hot and uncomfortable.  If I had an interview to do then I'd have to withdraw and strip it off before starting the interview.  I was also present one time when one of the others on patrol jumped into the river in the Shilo training area after a young child and we almost had two casualties.  Had he or any one of us been wearing external it would have been much safer.

NinerSix said:
While s/he didn't contribute much to this conversation, if amancalledhawk had started a new thread, he would have been told to do a search before posting. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Since this was brought up again:

After this thread was originally posted I sent an email/memo up the chain regarding the specs for the next SBA. I wasn't expecting much from it, but I never even heard if it made it past Coy level. Considering I had some pretty solid sources and used some good research (that you again Dr. Roberts), I am a bit disappointed that I never got any sort of response.

There is a Captain downstairs in HQ who is looking into this issue as well as a few other procurement projects.  Much of it depends upon when we can secure funding, when the supply system is ready to move on the project and what product is being purchased.  Many look around on their own base and do some reading before weighing in on the issue, and that's fine.  At the same time though they fail to realize that whatever we purchase must be suitable for warm climates, cold climates, extremely hot climates, storage on the shelves in supply.  It must be suitable for the threats we feel we may face, fit all different body types, match any uniform requirements (if external).  If someone wants load bearing then we need to ensure it is suitable for use which means, if it hasn't been tested by some reputable lab, it must be tested for any and all conditions.  We all wish up here that it could be as simple as saying..."that is the need so let's buy this and then buying it" but that is not the way it works.  We are really no different in that regard than any other police agency.  Having worked on national procurement issues I know first hand that the RCMP takes just as much time as we do, and sometimes more, to get new kit in the system. 

If you didn't get any feedback from your CoC, which I feel you should have, then make a further inquiry to ensure your comments were sent up the chain.  I wouldn't expect any personalized feedback though.  Things just don't work that way.  If your comments were received they would have been considered along with any other feedback and all other criteria then factored into what will be purchased. 

Inspir said:
We have the option of internal or external. Most choose external for comfort and ease. I have received some comments from the public but mostly just curiosity.

Now if we can just get load bearing vests like the Brits to save my aching back...

The most recent photo the Kingston Military Police Detachment Facebook group uploaded has two officers with Santa hats on with what appears to be a load bearing vest... it has the word "POLICE" on the front which I have never seen on non-load bearing vests.

Image in question:

12376573_1129735837060468_7209675981156036064_n.jpg

Thanks! When I viewed it on my laptop it was pretty dark, but that one is brighter. Those are definitely load bearing vests.

I can't see the picture but I'm guessing it is IARD kit...although why they would be wearing that and Santa hats I have no clue...  :subbies:

Back