• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Rank

What[u] is[/u] or [u]was[/u] your rank in the CF?

• Total voters
Cpl right now hoping to be appointed to MCpl in the next few weeks.

Id be interested to hear what rank 'no longer exists' in the CF...  would that be like 'Batboy' or one of the other former servant trades?

Pilot Officer , lance corporal etc

Batboy was a position never a rank...

GreyMatter said:
Id be interested to hear what rank 'no longer exists' in the CF...  would that be like 'Batboy' or one of the other former servant trades?
Hrrg, hmm...you mean Batman?
I beleive the British Navy stills holds them as the Captains Personal Steward??!!
Some of the previous mentioned ranks are for the Brit forces, I believe??!!

:salute:

exspy said:
ArtyNewbie,

Skipper Lieutenant?

A RNR and RCNR, RCNVR rank equiv to a LT(N) commissioned from the ranks, circa WWII, The Brits last used it in 1951, as for Canada I'm not sure when we stopped using it (probably around the time of unification)

BYT Driver said:
Hrrg, hmm...you mean Batman?
I beleive the British Navy stills holds them as the Captains Personal Steward??!!
Some of the previous mentioned ranks are for the Brit forces, I believe??!!

Our ships still embark Stewards as well including one exclusive for the Captain. Some of the ranks were in use up until Unification.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Our ships still embark Stewards as well including one exclusive for the Captain. Some of the ranks were in use up until Unification.
Yes, Steward is still a Navy trade and most are used on tour in Canex's or camp stores.  Batman was once also an Army tradition whereas a senior officer {Captain}would have an NCM [read private or corporal] to keep his kit and quarters neat and clean. 

BYT Driver,

Batmen were more than just a tradition in the Canadian Army.  They occupied designated positions in Canadian War Establishments right up to the mid 1960s.  They weren't just allocated to senior Captains and up either, but to all officers (including the Subalterns).  One was even allocated to the RSM.  While my information is infantry specific, I would think it also applied to all of the arms and services.

One rumour I remember hearing was that a stint as an officer's batman was a sure fire route to a place on the Jr NCO course.

If anyone is familiar with George McDonald Fraser's "MacAuslan" trilogy of stories, the one where MacAuslan (the world's dirtiest soldier) becomes Lieutenant Dand MacNeil's (Fraser's pseudonym) batman is a must read.

exspy said:
BYT Driver,

Batmen were more than just a tradition in the Canadian Army.  They occupied designated positions in Canadian War Establishments right up to the mid 1960s.  They weren't just allocated to senior Captains and up either, but to all officers (including the Subalterns).  One was even allocated to the RSM.  While my information is infantry specific, I would think it also applied to all of the arms and services.

One rumour I remember hearing was that a stint as an officer's batman was a sure fire route to a place on the Jr NCO course.

If anyone is familiar with George McDonald Fraser's "MacAuslan" trilogy of stories, the one where MacAuslan (the world's dirtiest soldier) becomes Lieutenant Dand MacNeil's (Fraser's pseudonym) batman is a must read.

Of course it all dates back to the days when officers were Aristocrats and brought their personal servants along when they went campaigning. all those blokes bought their commisions and were generaly officers in regiments that had an affiliation to their family name etc. the tradition lived longer than it should have probably but thank God it's gone now.

Just a reminder, if we catch anyone checking a rank they do not have you will be banned. No appeals, no second chances, so if you want to come clean, now is the time to do it.

Army.Ca Staff

Ref Batmen, Farley Mowat gives a good account of his relationship with his batman in "And No Birds Sang" while he was a subaltern fighting in Sicily and Italy.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Just a reminder, if we catch anyone checking a rank they do not have you will be banned. No appeals, no second chances, so if you want to come clean, now is the time to do it.

Army.Ca Staff

I see your point here. It would now seem that we have more Generals per capita than NDHQ.  :-\

Especially when one takes away the 23 votes by pers whose ranks no longer exist, civilians, and cadets. That means we've got 2 generals in 171 votes. Someone is being an ass and impersonating a general me thinks...

Back