• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT Issue, Planning on joining Reserves

Macrinus88

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently purchased this studying guide for the CFAT.

http://www.publicserviceprep.com

What mark do you need on each section (Verbal, Spacial Ability, Problem Solving) to qualify for an Infantry job? That is probably what I wanna do. I hope to join the Queens Own Rifles reserves. I wrote the CFAT before but did not join, I only qualified for Cook and the second test I qualified for nothing. But I had serious sleeping problems back then and I wasn't in a good mental state writing it.

Macrinus88 said:

What mark do you need on each section (Verbal, Spacial Ability, Problem Solving) to qualify for an Infantry job? That is probably what I wanna do. I hope to join the Queens Own Rifles reserves. I wrote the CFAT before but did not join, I only qualified for Cook and the second test I qualified for nothing. But I had serious sleeping problems back then and I wasn't in a good mental state writing it.

Dude,  search a bit on this subject.. massive CFAT thread here.  Also,  you will not find or be told what the scoring system/scores are for the trades, etc.    Also,  you've had 2 tests already,  has the CFRC confirmed that you can do a third one?    Did the CFRC inform you regarding what you need to work on? ie did you do poor in math, english, etc?

Just looked at your other posts,  are you sure on what you want to do ?  You talked quite a bit about becoming a MP and maybe a civvie Police Officer later,  then you wanted to join a Scottish Regiment,  now you are wanting the Queen's Own?

Macrinus88 said:

Were you not warned that you should be in your best shape to write the test?

It was years ago when I was in high school and it was a Co-op job, I declined it. Im currently taking a break from University and hope to graduate from that in 2014. Im not going to join full time to become an MP. Im sure that I wanna join the Infantry or Combat Engineer, on the main site it does say they are accepting applications from that but there is no check mark on Infantry. I would prefer to join the Queens Own Rifles.

I would assume you need at least 75-80% on each section to qualify for Infantry. I was going to email a recruiter, is the designation @canadianforces.ca or forces.gc.ca? For the military email.

-Skeletor- said:
Dude,  search a bit on this subject.. massive CFAT thread here.  Also,  you will not find or be told what the scoring system/scores are for the trades, etc.

Why do you assume you need 75-80% in all sections?  Just some random number you made up or?  Again,  there is a large CFAT thread,  look for that,  and do some reading.  Hint,  it's in the large brown highlighted topics in the Recruiting forum.

@forces.gc.ca  is the email

Also,  just because you know the recruiters name doesn't mean you can just add @forces to the name and email him,  if theres multiple people with the same name they will have numbers, etc.  ie  JOHN.BLOGGINS2@forces.gc.ca

Did the recruiter give you his email or you just going to blindly email more or less and hope for the best?

Since you're in university now I think they'll let you do a 3rd, but you should check with a recruiter to make sure. I assume you're in Toronto- the RC is easy to get to, right off the subway line at Sheppard. As with most questions, the best bet is to go down there and talk to them (or call). As for the score, it doesn't matter really. I assume you want to do your best? Whether you need to get 5% on each section or 95% it really doesn't matter then does it. Either way, you want to do as well as possible.

As you're applying for the Reserves, you should contact the individual units and make sure they're recruiting at all. There are many in/around Toronto, including an Engineer unit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32_Canadian_Brigade_Group

Im in Mississauga, I will probably go to the recruiting center near Square One. I never did the Physical and Im in a better mental state now since I don't have those sleeping problems anymore, I was told they keep my name on record when I wrote it in 2008.

If you've written the CFAT twice already you're not likely to get a third try unless you've done "significant academic upgrading."  The fact that you're now in university may not be enough, unless you've done some university-level math courses.  The recruiting centre will be able to advise you accordingly as to what math courses you should take to be eligible to rewrite again.

Trick said:
Since you're in university now I think they'll let you do a 3rd....
treeoflife said:
If you've written the CFAT twice already you're not likely to get a third try .....

:pop:

I come to the recruiting threads whenever I get tired of informed opinions.

The Mississuaga Det is closing down, and IIRC correctly is closed to the general public as they prepare to close and transfer files.  What the cut off scores/percentiles are for you as an applicant are irrelevant because you will never be told what you scored.  Being granted a 2nd waiver for a rewrite is rare, you will need to show that you have done significant upgrading (policy is 2.  The applicant must be registered in a substantial program of studies at the post- secondary level and encountering no apparent difficulty.) to the MCC, who may or may not reccomend, who then forwards to the UPSO.  IF (and its a big if) they reccomend, then the waiver gets forwarded to CFRG HQ for approval.

If you can't tell this isn't something that happens quickly.

Journeyman said:
    :pop:

I come to the recruiting threads whenever I get tired of informed opinions.

Funny - I like to come to the recruiting forums to repeatedly watch longtime army.ca members belittle people without any knowledge of their background.  ::)

For the record, my "opinion" is an informed one.  Like Hatchet Man wrote, a second level rewrite waiver will have to be well-substantiated and go through several levels for approval.

There, there muffin.

Since I cited contradictory posts, I was obviously belittling Trick, rather than questioning your extensive CF and recruiting expertise.

Edit:
Actually.... the point of the post was to highlight peoples' apparent need to post when they clearly don't have a clue what they're talking about -- hence the contradictory posts -- rather than let people, in this case Hatchet Man, who KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT, provide valid responses.

I would like to thank you, however, for reaffirming why I seldom bother with Recruiting threads....the place where self-righteous entitlement and stupidity meet up to run rampant.    ::)

Sometimes people who are familiar with the recruiting process aren't around to answer questions. When someone starts a sentence with "I think..." it's pretty obvious that they're acknowledging that they're not an expert (so take it with a grain of salt) up front. Sometimes the best answer people have to go with starts with "I think", even from recruiting staff from time to time. The only person I've seen post regularly here who works in recruiting is Hatchet. Personally, I'm grateful that we have someone around here can give good, reliable answers, but unless you expect one person to answer every question in every thread, you're going to have to deal with "I think" from time to time.

That said, I guess it would be best to at least wait to see if an "expert" will post on a topic before people like us jump in.

What, the mississauga scottish regiment is closing down?

Im gonna go write it on Friday, have the week to study, it closes at 4pm.

Macrinus88 said:
It was years ago when I was in high school and it was a Co-op job, I declined it. Im currently taking a break from University and hope to graduate from that in 2014. Im not going to join full time to become an MP. Im sure that I wanna join the Infantry or Combat Engineer, on the main site it does say they are accepting applications from that but there is no check mark on Infantry. I would prefer to join the Queens Own Rifles.

I would assume you need at least 75-80% on each section to qualify for Infantry. I was going to email a recruiter, is the designation @canadianforces.ca or forces.gc.ca? For the military email.

I joined the infantry and I did absolutely terrible on the spatial reasoning portion of the test - but I am pretty sure my other sections made up for it. I was not used to the spatial reasoning and did not prepare much for that part, so I found it a lot harder than perhaps it needed to be - regardless you are measured in a percentile of where you fall in regards to other people who wrote the test. Don't get too hung up on percentages, just try to study hard and hope for the best.

Does anyone know if the Mississauga recruiting center is still open? It said it would be closed down sometime.

From forces.ca

Regular Force Recruiting Centres (full-time) CFRD MISSISSAUGA

Mississauga, Ontario

Phone:
Fax:
Business Hours:
CFR Detachment Mississauga will close permanently on 15 May 2012.

Back